Dummies/soothers

Sam2013

Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question any one use these with newborns?
I plan to breast feed but I read ur not meant to use a dummy/soother would b grateful for ur opinions or what u do please ? Thanks x

I'm going to wait and see I genuinly think some babies are needing something to suck on to soothe and others aren't so il see how we get on and I''ll buy them if I need them. I do wonder which are the better brands tho iv heard so much conflicting info on letting them have a dummy and breastfeeding but I honestly don't think will be too big a problem if I do need to use one that said iv never breast fed either as this is my first baby so we shall see! X

My OH is pushing us to use one... so have packed one just to shut him up.

But tbh, not all babies need one.. I'm going to leave it until we have figured out what he's like without it. I don't dislike them but don't want to just stick one in his mouth for the sake of it!

Our ante natal class on breast feeding basically told us that when a baby is breastfeeding they need to "milk" the boob, a totally different type of suck to a dummy/bottle. Whilst some babies can switch between these v easily, some can't, and it may cause you problems with breastfeeding.

Alternatively, it's supposed to lower the risk of SIDS by using a dummy. So it really does become trial and error/personal preference as to which you decide to do!

I read a leaflet today which said to use them from 3 months onwards & only as a sleep aid - not during awake time. I never had one when I was little but my oh did. I think I'll just see how I go. I've been given loads as presents too! Lo might not like it & spit it out anyway! x

Thanks girls my first baby too but I was thinking of using one for sleep time I know some babies need something just to suck on so gonna play it by ear and see how I get on :D xx

Noah will be getting one from day one up until his first Christmas x

We used one with DS at three weeks and I bf. it didn't interfere with bf but it did buy us some much needed sleep! I know the official advice is to wait at least until bf is established but its sometimes just not practical, I think I would've been more likely to give up bf if I hadn't given him a dummy because I just wasn't managing with the lack of sleep. Having said that I think it is wise to limit the use and not use it as a substitute for feeding as that could interfere with supply.

As others have said it really is a personal choice and some babies will really benefit from one whereas others won't be fussed. This time round I'm going to see how it goes, I've bought dummies but won't use them unless I need to xxx

We used one with DS at three weeks and I bf. it didn't interfere with bf but it did buy us some much needed sleep! I know the official advice is to wait at least until bf is established but its sometimes just not practical, I think I would've been more likely to give up bf if I hadn't given him a dummy because I just wasn't managing with the lack of sleep. Having said that I think it is wise to limit the use and not use it as a substitute for feeding as that could interfere with supply.

As others have said it really is a personal choice and some babies will really benefit from one whereas others won't be fussed. This time round I'm going to see how it goes, I've bought dummies but won't use them unless I need to xxx
Thanks x

My child WILL have a dummy, as it is considered to reduce SIDS risk, and with a family history of SIDS and SADS I'm taking no risks. FSID advice is from 4weeks to reduce risk of nipple confusion, or interfering with milk supply.

But advice is US is that its ok from birth so we'll see how the bf is going. I think G had it from 2-3 weeks anytime she might sleep, including in the car.

Alternatively, it's supposed to lower the risk of SIDS by using a dummy. So it really does become trial and error/personal preference as to which you decide to do!
They don't reduce SIDS the advise is if you give a dummy you are not to take it away as it will alter the baby's breathing at night and increase the risk of SIDS. The dummy manufacturers used this research to their advantage to say they reduce SIDS when the research doesn't actually say that. I think if you are breast feeding a dummy might hide the baby's feeding cues. So I intend not to use one.

Last edited:
i offer one, my dd wouldnt take one at all so ive got a few types around, i'll just sterilise them and offer like i did with her, if baby dosent want it then fine im happy either way

My LO was given a dummy when he was in special care in hospital so we didn't really have a choice. At first I thought it was a blessing as it helped soothe him, then it was a curse as we had to keep getting up in the night to give it back to him, but now I don't know how we'd cope without one as when he's being difficult it can really calm him down! I breast fed too and it didn't interfere at all :) xxx

I don't intend to use one as don't want it to affect bf and it can (it doesn't always but it can) bf reduces SIDS too.
I may end up using one though, depends what happens I guess! Who knows what it'll be like.....! It's all going to be brand new and every baby is different xx

They don't reduce SIDS the advise is if you give a dummy you are not to take it away as it will alter the baby's breathing at night and increase the risk of SIDS. The dummy manufacturers used this research to say they reduce SIDS when they don't. I think if you are breast feeding a dummy might hide the baby's feeding cues. So I intend not to use one.

That's incorrect. There are numerous sources to suggest that a dummy reduces SIDS risk!

http://www.bmj.com/content/332/7532/18

Including papers in the British Medical journal. There are a number of theories about why they reduce risk, including regulating breathing, strengthening or specific muscles and preventing baby falling in to a deep enough sleep that LO 'forgets' to breath.

Mine never had a dummy until he was about 4 weeks old but tbh he rarely has it in his mouth, his choice not mine. He probably sucks on it for about 2 minutes while he drifts off then just spits it out. You don't get a choice really lol, the choice ultimately comes down to if the baby wants it and as much as I tried to get him to have it he just pulls a face like I'm making him gag. I would prefer him to sleep with it in because of the sids risk but unsurprisingly he is the boss :)

tapatalkin

We breastfeed, use nipple shields, bottle feed & use dummys & my little one has no problem flitting between them.

With the dummy though, he just sucks it for 2 minutes then spits it out to sleep. And like Tambo he lets me know if he doesn't want it as he does a kind of fake gag reflex face!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

They don't reduce SIDS the advise is if you give a dummy you are not to take it away as it will alter the baby's breathing at night and increase the risk of SIDS. The dummy manufacturers used this research to say they reduce SIDS when they don't. I think if you are breast feeding a dummy might hide the baby's feeding cues. So I intend not to use one.

That's incorrect. There are numerous sources to suggest that a dummy reduces SIDS risk!

http://www.bmj.com/content/332/7532/18

Including papers in the British Medical journal. There are a number of theories about why they reduce risk, including regulating breathing, strengthening or specific muscles and preventing baby falling in to a deep enough sleep that LO 'forgets' to breath.

I have to say the research is not clear cut and most say dummy's can reduce the risk in formula fed babies and not breast fed baby's. as BF can reduce the risk and giving a dummy can interfere with BF.
You need to look at the research but it cannot be stated that a dummy reduces the risk of SIDS.
http://www.unicef.org.uk/babyfriend...den-infant-death-syndrome-and-breastfeeding1/
www.nct.org.uk/sites/.../dodds-do-dummies-help-prevent-sids-20-1-.pdf‎
It is up to each mother to look at the research and decide but I want to BF and not use a dummy.

Any SIDS research isn't clear cut because there is as yet no definitive cause. Yes it's up to individual parents to decide which bits of the advice to follow - same as the cot vs co-sleeping risk! Cot can be considered safer, yet co-sleeping benefits BF which lowers risk.

What you suggested about dummies and SIDS being a marketing ploy IS completely incorrect!

My sister was adamant she wouldn't use a dummy with her first. She ended up giving her one, and considered them angels sent from above :lol: so much so, that she packed one in her hospital bag for baby number two. Baby number two is not bothered by a dummy at all, just not interested. So I think it really does depend on your baby (as with so many of these things).

I am going to get one, because hey, if I have a screaming baby and have run out of ideas, I'd like to have one to try! I do plan on breastfeeding if it goes well for me. But I think a lot of this teat/nipple confusion evidence is anecdotal, and again, it depends on your baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back