dummies guide to weaning plllease

lottielou

Reaction score
Hey ladies. . So basically my lo is only 4 months. But after she has bevome impossible to fill up. Wakes in the night for a massive feed which she never does! And straining to sit up and try to steal my food!! I talked to my hv and she said i could give weaning a go. . (I thought shr would slate me for even thinking about it)

But i have two problems. Lo is intolerant to lactose so ive been super cautious with jars/pouches and porridge!
And i need a dummies guide. I have read loads of info but yet again its conflicting and i have no idea what im doing. :(

if you have read all this thanks a million! And if anyone has any advice or even a pointer in the right direction i would be very greatful!!

Xxxx

If she is allergic to milk you will be best making your own and freezing it. Simple recipes are butternut squash, peal, cut up, boil for 20 mins, blend mix in prescription milk or boiled water to make runnier if needed.
You can do that with most veggies. Carrots, coliflower, or mix a couple together for a stew. You can also get adventurous with recipies and try fish pie etc but for now I would stick with something simple as most will get spat out anyway lol. Bannana is a nice simple desert one too. and you can do that with a fork without cooking xx
I found one of those cheap soup hand blenders work best, there for soup so designed to make super smooth.

Cow and gate do a great guide to weaning. I got a booklet from them and it was really helpful, in sure you could find it on line too, it's something like 5 steps to weaning.

Good luck!

As lo is still so young I would really only try baby porridge for a good while then move I to other foods like pear, carrot, broccoli etc

x

Cow and gate do a great guide to weaning. I got a booklet from them and it was really helpful, in sure you could find it on line too, it's something like 5 steps to weaning.

Good luck!

As lo is still so young I would really only try baby porridge for a good while then move I to other foods like pear, carrot, broccoli etc

x

I swear by this book. Simple, free and easy to follow. I was given loads of weaning books by a friend and never used them.

But like Mrs Woody says, probably just start with a couple of mouthfuls of porridge or maybe rice.

Good luck x

My girly started on the baby rice at 11 ish weeks and loves it! I started with a tea time portion for 2 weeks, then breakfast for a week then lunch for a week. Then found I had to give a slightly bigger portion at teatime for a week. She's 16weeks today and just had her 1st bit of carrot puree in her rice for lunch! She loved it!! And the rice is made up with baby's usual milk, so it's a familiar taste for them. The best bit is, you can make it runny to start with and thicken it up as baby gets used to eating. My girly started off just sucking it off the spoon til she got the hang of opening her mouth for the spoon to go in!! My HV would probably have a fit if she knew I'dstarted to early but my poor missy was so hungry and drinking such huge bottles that she was sloshing n spuing loads, but daren't give her "hungry baby" formula as it can cause constipation and we had trouble with her tummy in her 1st few weeks! And if it worked for my mum with me and my sister, it can't be so bad! Just stick to simple, fairly bland veggies tostart with and 1 at a time, just incase LO reacts then you'll have a better idea of what it'llbe! Carrot, potato, sweet potato, swede, parsnip, pumpkin, butternut squash are all good startera, once they're all good try mixing some together for more exciting tastes. Cauliflower, broccoli, leeks and courgette are good to add in after those 1st 1s, thrn go for it and start with chickeen & beef and even fish pie with a simple white fish. Just enjoy it!! Apart from my.mum's advice I've been taking notes from a "promotional"copy of a Annabel Karmel book, so it's only got bits of her full book, but it's got me.going! Just ordered her 100 top purees for babies too and can't wait to get going on some really exciti g stuff!!
Good luck and enjoy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back