Dummies and possible reflux

beanie5

Reaction score
we took our LO to the doctors last Tuesday when she was just over a week old as she was making horrible noises at night after feeds. the doctor said it could be reflux although the health visitor has since said that it's probably wind. we've been using infacol for the last couple of days to try and see if that's helped, she now does burp after feeding which she didn't before but after 10/15 mins is screwing her face up and crying like something's hurting still. my OH is convinced it's reflux and wants to give her a dummy to help when she's uncomfortable but i'm really not sure about it since she's still only 2 1/2 weeks

anyone had anything similar or got any advice for me? everything online says to avoid dummies till after a month when breastfeeding so i want to hold off but my OH keeps saying its not going to be all the time, whats the worst that it'll do

Infacol can take a while to kick in a sit kind of builds up... You need to use it every feed- which can seem excessive when cluster feeding I know!!

I really would NOT use a dummy right now. Would he listen to reason from a trained Peer supporter or someone?

If you introduce dummies this early it can interfere with establishing breastfeeding and your supply. It can also reduce the amount she nurses as it will placate her at times when she really could do with a feed. Which in turn can lead to supply problems and poor weight gain.

Try keeping her upright after a feed for as long as you can (and try to feed her in an upright or semi upright position).

Also try rubbing her back in circles rather than patting.

You could try massaging her tummy and 'cycling' her legs too to help with wind. And warm baths.

Also, make sure the latch is good and she's not sucking in air (full rounded cheeks, no dimples and no audible 'slurping' noise during feeds).

Good luck!

When my lg got diagnosed with reflux the doctor said don't give a dummy as it will make it worse. This is because with something in their mouth they produce more saliva, more fluid then ends up in the stomach and therefore increases the sick and problems with reflux.

Reflux can be checked by looking for the PH in the breath.. I don't see any GP or HV be bothered actually doing it they rather prescribe gaviscon even if the GP itself thinks it's colic over reflux. My OH decided after a couple of days it was time for a dummy considering he couldn't give him a boob when I was having a kip. If I knew that they could check the ph in the breath to check if there's reflux I would've gone back to docs to demand that done before trying out meds. I don't think a dummy is going to be the right soother if there's actual reflux present.. For the reason, Aimee pointed out before me.

I think a dummy is actually meant to help with reflux because of the excess saliva produced. It helps to neutralise the burning acid feeling in their throat. My little one has reflux and dummy definitely helps him when he is visibly sore from the burning feeling.

Suckling helps ease reflux, but if you are breastfeeding that suckling can and ought to happen at the breast, rather than from a dummy.
If you were bottlefeeding a dummy would be a good idea as it's the act of sucking on the teat/nipple that helps soothe them. But breastfed babies can get the same comfort from the breast which is preferable whilst breastfeeding is still being established.

Fair enough Phoenix, I should have mentioned I was formula feeding :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back