Due to BMI and weight

twinkle90

Reaction score
Ive been put at a high risk pregnancy due to being overweight and a high BMI.im trying everything i can to cut down on crap. Cravings are taking over though. Im worrying a little bit. But my mum made a point that theres many over weight women having healthy babies everyday. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I am the same I have to have a glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks to check for gestational diabetes. Need to deliver in the labour ward not birth centre so no water birth for me. On thyroxine so growth scans at 32, 36 and 38 weeks. I have loads of cravings so hard to 'diet' as such but trying to eat healthy. Loads of women do give birth safely with a high BMI we just need closer monitoring. My advice enjoy your pregnancy.

Thanks Glowing. I guess MWs have to cover their own backs by giving out the info and advice. I havent bsck from any blood tests yet so i guess thats a good sign right xx

Oh and my blood pressure and urine tests were ok. No problems their. Would my urine test should if i had some kind of diabetes? Thats what im really worried about xx

My BMI was high. It was 31. But im not classed as high risk at all? When does it become high risk? My Blood and Urine have all been fine too. But, i still have to have the GTT test in a few weeks anyway xx

Think BMI is classed as high risk over 35. I had a natural delivery (was induced because of a small baby) at 35 weeks.. Delivery was fine. I was told by a consultant that pushing would be harder because of BMI & it was a load of crap xx

They don't test for diabetes til 28 weeks because that is when it is more likely to develop.

I went to see my consultant last week and he discharged me back to midwifery care because although my BMi is 30 it's the lower end of high- so he says! My bp was also high but they just want to keep an eye on that. Sometimes I think it's down to local policy ? X

Ive been put at a high risk pregnancy due to being overweight and a high BMI.im trying everything i can to cut down on crap. Cravings are taking over though. Im worrying a little bit. But my mum made a point that theres many over weight women having healthy babies everyday. Anyone else in a similar situation?

what is your bmi, if you don't mind me asking? xx

my bmi was/is 39/40 for last preg and this time, everything else is spot on bp etc and i had a big baby cos im 6ft and broad not cos of my weight or GD, had the GTT twice last time and nothing, will likely have it again this time but so far no worries, no consultant visit this time either so their obviously not worried about me.
only thing i can advise is dont worry about it too much, and when in labour keep upright and active as long as possible which helps a bunch :)

Think BMI is classed as high risk over 35. I had a natural delivery (was induced because of a small baby) at 35 weeks.. Delivery was fine. I was told by a consultant that pushing would be harder because of BMI & it was a load of crap xx

What a stupid thing to say!! Pushing will be harder than what? If you've never had a baby before then how are you meant to have anything to compare it to. That's just a stupid thing to say that is going to do nothing but give you another thing to worry about!
I know they have to inform you of extra risks and such, but comments like that are just pointless and counter-productive.
Anyway, I'm glad everything went well for you! :)

What a stupid thing to say!! Pushing will be harder than what? If you've never had a baby before then how are you meant to have anything to compare it to. That's just a stupid thing to say that is going to do nothing but give you another thing to worry about!
I know they have to inform you of extra risks and such, but comments like that are just pointless and counter-productive.
Anyway, I'm glad everything went well for you! :)

You're right. It was a consultant that said it to me amongst other things. Told me that I shouldn't put anymore weight on during my pregnancy, although I was actually a stone lighter than pre pregnancy at this point due to sickness and all he said was 'keep it up' yeah, ok. Keep the sickness up. Thanks pal. LOL.

Pushing really wasn't hard at all. Don't understand where he got his little idea from but I pushed even without contractions & only took 5 pushes for baba to be born.

He also told me the epi probably would be harder or impossible to do. My BMI was 36 & again, no problem getting the needle in for the epi ..

Xx

i had a problem with getting the epi in, but at 9cm dialated with a mw pusing a monitor onto your tum while you try to bend over its pretty damn impossible to get any needle in lol nothing to do with weight

My bmi is 33.2 so not quite high risk but they will test at 24 weeks I think then I'll need extra scans at 28 and 34 weeks just to check
They say don't drastically lose weight but I've got 5 stone to shift and don't know how dangerous it would be to try and lose it now?
I suppose getting to see baby more is an upside to it all though x

I am high risk due to bmi to have to see consultant after every scan got iron store problems too!

Hiya,
I also have high BMI and as i have PCOS I was started on insulin about week 10!
It means I have to go to a clinic every 2 weeks and get checked.....i also have mega sweet cravings which i am learning what naughty sweet snacks don't spike my sugar levels too much!!

I have a high BMI and also have type 1 diabetes so am on insulin. I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby girl in january! You all have nothing to worry about :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I have a high BMI and also have type 1 diabetes so am on insulin. I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby girl in january! You all have nothing to worry about :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Its so nice to hear positive stuff!! It can get you down always hearing 'high risk' with everything pregnancy related !!

When I went to the midwife they have me a leaflet for a group for over 30s (I am just 30) mums to be with a 30+ BMI....that did wonders for my self confidence :( I have to attend a few extra appointmentments etc and have the diabetes check x

When I went to the midwife they have me a leaflet for a group for over 30s (I am just 30) mums to be with a 30+ BMI....that did wonders for my self confidence :( I have to attend a few extra appointmentments etc and have the diabetes check x

I bet that was a fun leaflet!!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back