DS Test

Oh jeez I've not even thought about any of this yet. I've been so focused on holding onto our little bean that I've not thought any further along. Right that's on the discussion list with husband today xxx

I had the screening and came back high risk 1:15 I was offered cvs and amnio which we decided against. I did spebd rest of preg v anxious. I had lots of additional scans to check for markers for downs, Edwards and pascals but even with all additional scans there was no definite answer before she was born. That been said I would do it all again exactly the same. I was too concerned about the risks of amnio /cvs but it really was a tough decision. Only 70% of children with downs are picked up through screening x

Ella Faith 8/2/13 8lb 13.5 oz x

Hi, I've just had the first part of the Harmony test done, back next week for the blood results and detail scan - I will have the NHS test too but know due to my age that I'll be a high risk so this gives my a proper result and 99% effective is better than the NHS result.

sorry for being quite ignorant on this. But what is the Harmony test? Is it safer for the baby and less intrusive than the test that the NHS offer?

I've got my first mw appointment today so I guess I'll find out more, I'm about 8 weeks 4 days I think. But I'm old - 38. Does that mean that I'm automatically high risk?

If so, what are the tests that they offer? My sis said something about a needle in your stomach (sounds like it could be painful) to take fluid from somewhere which gives you a pretty good indicuation if the baby has ds or something else which could be worth knowing about. But that there is a 1 in 100 chance that this could cause a mc?

Any info much appreciated as I'm completely in the dark about the next stages, I think I am just so focussed on getting to 12 weeks! x

Beanie, I had been reading this thread this morning and it got me really thinking about the whole thing! Had just come back after a bit of reading and worrying to post just the same queries!
I was also too wondering at our age whether would automatically fall into the high risk bracket!
It scares me massively to think I will make the decision whether to have diagnostic tests, that will put me into a huge quandary .
Did a quick Google and the first thing to come up was harmony test £600, there is no way I can afford that at this time!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I really had no idea it was such a high percentage either. Is that purely downs or does that figure include the other syndromes?? xx

I believe it's just downs

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

Wow, that has really shocked me, I had no idea the number was so high. I'd have guessed at less than 50% x

I was corrected today - its 96%

I feel that if parents were given more information and educated that number could be so much lower. The world would be a darker place without Aaron in it!

I never had it done because it wouldn't make any difference to me x

Id need to know either way and agree with tweetyfoo its about the 3 big issues not just DS, the other two are really not compatible with life. I had the nuchsl screening and bloods done ( combined test) when preg with my son, i came back with a 1:9 risk with any number being lower than 1:250 being std high risk where they will offer you extra diagnostic testing.

That was wayyy too high for us to mot have testing, but if id have come back 1:251 to 500 it prob would have worried me the rest of pregnancy! I had a cvs done and waited the dreaded two weeks and all was fine. I didnt enjoy pregnancy or announce till 20 weeks because of it, so it adds alot of stress.

This pregnancy i was terrified ,( now at age 39, 3 yrs later) but couldnt afford a harmony test, had the screening and came back as low risk 1:1600 !!!! Was over the moon. But remember as tweety foo says its just a risk. That says that 1 lady in 1600 ladies with that same low risk will still go on to have a baby with a major chromoxone issue.

My high risk im certain now was due to be loosing a baby at 12 weeks( that late must be chromozone or major issue when baby forming. It happened 4 -6 weeks ish before i got pregnant again with my son, and must have left me with high blood markers as my nuchal was ok

How reliable is the Harmony test? This is the non obtrusive one? If it's got a high reliability and poses no risk or pain to you or your baby then why would it not be offered automatically by nhs? I guess it's a cost thing if the Harmony test is £600. or maybe the nhs tests are much more reliable. Sorry, still a bit confused and meant to ask the mw at my first appointment yesterday but she didn't seem particularly knowledgeable so I didn't bother. I have my 12 weeks scan in a month and she also offered me a transvaginal scan which she said would give me a more detailed assessment of the baby. But couldn't tell me what this entailed other than they stick something up you! (I'm guessing something like a smear? And couldn't tell me what detailed info I'd have on the baby that I wouldn't get with just the normal scan. I went for both anyway as I'd rather have as much info as possible. x

The Harmony test also tests for the 3 main trisomy disorders, so DS, Edwards and the Patek (sp?) one. If you are between 10 and 11 weeks the Fetal Medical Center in Harley street are offering the blood test and the detailed unchallenged test for £180!! Google them and have a read - ( thanks to Dotty Woman for her post which alerted me to this!) it is not offered on the NHS yet and may never be due to cost!
It is essentially a diagnostic test with 99% accuracy, although if it came back positive you would still have to have the CVS or Amnio, but the results are pretty conclusive unlike the NHS one.

From what I understand anyone over a certain age ( me 40) which is why I wanted to have the more accurate test x

Sorry, meant to say * CVS or Amnio if you wanted to abort otherwise you could continue with the pregnancy as normal but just aware of the outcome ! *

The Harmony test also tests for the 3 main trisomy disorders, so DS, Edwards and the Patek (sp?) one. If you are between 10 and 11 weeks the Fetal Medical Center in Harley street are offering the blood test and the detailed unchallenged test for £180!! Google them and have a read - ( thanks to Dotty Woman for her post which alerted me to this!) it is not offered on the NHS yet and may never be due to cost!
It is essentially a diagnostic test with 99% accuracy, although if it came back positive you would still have to have the CVS or Amnio, but the results are pretty conclusive unlike the NHS one.

From what I understand anyone over a certain age ( me 40) which is why I wanted to have the more accurate test x

Thank you - that's really useful to know - I work 15 min walk from Harley St and will be 10 weeks in about 10 days so I will get in touch with them for the blood test. £180 is certainly a lot better than £600. And I'm assuming that if the results come back positive then I would hopefully get the cvs or Amnio on the nhs.....
x

I think so ! Just read my post and good ol iPhone replaced Nuchal with unchallenged lol.
Drop them a line or email and check they are still doing the deal, not sure why it jumps so much in price if you are further along though but a good price if you are OK with your dates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back