Drugs and breast feeding

lulu

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been in contact with a few drug advice and info organisations about this but thought I would post on here aswell for some 'real life' experience!

Does anyone know about the affects of cocaine on breast feeding? even if it is a very tiny amount?

I know its a difficult subject to touch on and quite personal but I would be grateful for any input or feedback.

Thanks again, just looking now! :)

I checked out the link, I really need to know the affect of different amounts, Ive done a search but not really found anything!

I know that the affects depend on the amount taken!

Some kind of table would be good :? [/quote]

i'm guessing maybe your using or some one else is, but i dont think the amount will make much difference as different amounts effect different people in various ways, just realise that cocaine may cause unwanted effects such as convulsions (seizures), high blood pressure, fast heartbeat, breathing problems, trembling, and unusual irritability in breast fed babies, not matter what the amount is, if u or some one else has taken cocaine, it takes 2 days to leave your body, so avoid breast feeding for that time and express the milk, but throw it away.

if some one has done it, just pay close attention to any changes in babies behaviour.

lulu said:
Hi,

I have been in contact with a few drug advice and info organisations about this but thought I would post on here aswell for some 'real life' experience!

Does anyone know about the affects of cocaine on breast feeding? even if it is a very tiny amount?

I know its a difficult subject to touch on and quite personal but I would be grateful for any input or feedback.

Quite a simple answer really

dont take cocaine full stop , doesnt matter how small amount it is. You dont even know whats mixed in with it anyone can add anything

whoever it is taking it advise them to stop , did they take it whilst pregnant?

I don't think you'll ever find any sort of table showing amounts, as that would mean test subjects and lets face it, scientists will never be able to legally give breastfeeding women cocaine just to see what happens. Also different cocaine has different potency depending on how many times it's been "cut" (or diluted with other things, including other drugs) You would have no idea what other things were making their way into the babys system

I would say never is a good idea.

Feel free pm me if you want any more advice.

You aren't even supposed to have aspirin when b/f so I doubt cocaine would ever be a good idea. :?

whoever it is taking it advise them to stop , did they take it whilst pregnant?

No, I think she has only ever taken it twice in her life and I know for definate that she didnt whilst pregnant.

Apparently a small amount was taken on a night out, she said that it didnt even affect her.

I advised not to breast feed for at least 24 hours, to express and throw away. I think she felt awful and needed some reassurance!

We looked on some webpages and called that 'ask frank' line but I guess any advice is a help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back