Drug dependant babys ?

specialbump

Reaction score
totaly strange thread here but here goes.

right a friend of mine has been a foster carer for 7 years and she has changed age group and is now looking after 0-5 years she has her first baby due in soon and its mothers drug dependant so this baby will be monitored for how ever long before being placed into her care.it is going to be hard as she minded older children.As much as shes excited for the new ones arrival she also is walking into the unknown as shes never minded children who have had to be weaned off of things like this.so i supose my reason for this post is to ask for any past time experiances wether your own or a friends in this situation or alcohol withdrawl .shes been given loads of support and advice on how people soothe little ones with withdrawl and how they cope on a night time ect but i just thaught i would ask if theres any 1 on here with past experiance and see if theres any tips of advice i can pass onto her.Me personaly think its such a fantastic thing to and be in a position to help theese children untill they find a for ever home or be returned to their parents.I would get too attatched and want to addopt them all me lol.
so just any wise words i can pass on or past time experiances would be gr8 x

I'm a paediatric nurse so have some experience. For the most part, baby should be settled if the weaning dose of meds are ok. Baby may become a bit unsettled and twitchy when due a dose of the med so meds need to be given bang on time.
It's been a while since we had a baby weaning off meds but if my memory serves me correct, the dose of one of them gets reduced every 3 days. On the first day of reduced meds, your friend needs to pay particular attention to any changes in the baby ie more unsettled/irritable, more twitchy etc. if baby is then the meds should be put back up for another 24 hours and then try again and so on.
By the time your friend gets the baby the weaning meds should already be established in the baby so she shouldn't really have any major problems, it's when they are newborns and just starting the meds that times are really tough. Hats off to her xx

I'm a paediatric nurse so have some experience. For the most part, baby should be settled if the weaning dose of meds are ok. Baby may become a bit unsettled and twitchy when due a dose of the med so meds need to be given bang on time.
It's been a while since we had a baby weaning off meds but if my memory serves me correct, the dose of one of them gets reduced every 3 days. On the first day of reduced meds, your friend needs to pay particular attention to any changes in the baby ie more unsettled/irritable, more twitchy etc. if baby is then the meds should be put back up for another 24 hours and then try again and so on.
By the time your friend gets the baby the weaning meds should already be established in the baby so she shouldn't really have any major problems, it's when they are newborns and just starting the meds that times are really tough. Hats off to her xx

Thanks scn
soon as babys born its going to be monitored and started on the meds so when alowed home it would go straight to her,
do u know anything about alcohol abuse during pregnancy u dont really find much online we were talking and she said she was told that babys fetures have delayed development and smaller mouth ect then when they are older 4 yers ish thats when problems start ? its all new but im not intrugued into it ans whats actualy involved.poor kiddies having to suffer at the hands of their parents they havnt yet met and some never do i would just cry me and want to care for them all it must be so hard its hard work with a newborn with no problems let alone one from this kind of background poor soles.
many thanks xx

I don't know too much about alcohol probs, seen a few babies with fetal alcohol syndrome when I was a student nurse many moons ago but never seen any as older children.
It's heartbreaking what some children have to go through due to the mothers habits during pregnancy.

im a social worker who works with foster carers and kids in foster care specifically so if she ever wants advice from me feel free to message me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back