Drop feeds? I'm confused.

Lulu90

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm being silly, but I had in my head that Luca would only be on a couple of bottles by 6 months. Depending on the time he wakes up, he has 5/6 9oz bottles. This is every 3 hours. He has breakfast at 10am, snack at 1pm and dinner at 5pm. He'll scream for a bottle straight after dinner. Surely he doesn't need a 9oz bottle straight after a meal. He's happy enough to drink water but he wants a bottle as soon as I take the water away. Obviously I'm not going to let him starve, but particularly at that time, I don't feel he can be hungry, surely not lol? I'm unsure what to do xx

It took a wee while of my daughter eating full 3 meals a day before she dropped a bottle. Will happen gradually. They don't quite know to associate the food they are having with being full yet. Found she went fussy with her feeds over a week or so over Xmas and she came out the other side down a bottle. And nearly a month later she is wanting to drop another. So hang in there - will happen! X

Ah thank you hun! Just concerned as I can see how big he's getting haha. He screams in between mouthfuls of food as if to say "COME ON MUM, QUICKER". He inhales it pretty much xx

My son was the exact same. Have you thought about giving him bigger portions of solids at each meal? Sounds like he likes his food to me. I was also giving him milk pretty much straight after a feed but his eyes were bigger than his belly and would start being sick after meals/milk. So I upped solids and then he went off milk. After about a month he went to 2 bottles, 1 in the morning and 1 before bed. I think he was around 8 months when that happened. My boy really started gaining weight once he was weaned and I panicked but he's 14 months old now and has been walking for just under a month and he doesn't stop moving ever!! His food intake has gone up as he is so active and must be burning more calories. You've got all that to come! I'd say up his solids and then he'll reduce his milk over time....at the end of the day the aim is to wean anyway. Just my opinion, hope that helps.x

My LG stared dropping hers around 5 months so had no choice but to start weaning as she wasn't a huge eater. If he is still demanding the milk maybe drop 1-2 oz a feed is another idea rather than a whole feed so he is still getting a good amount of milk. The rest he will prob drop himself in time. My LG now has 7oz in the morning. 4-5 oz in afternoon which I reckon will be next to go as she just isn't fussed and 8oz before bed. Also might be worth introducing lunch now rather than just a snack if he seems interested x

Thank you ladies, really helpful xx

I'm confused about the opposite! Since we started weaning 4 days ago, our lg has dropped a lot of her milk. She will have 7oz in the morning and 7oz before bed but the three feeds between that she seems to be just taking 2-5 oz - I don't know if this is normal? I'm guessing with the food she isn't as hungry?

Just go with it. As others have suggested maybe up the solids, say Weetabix with milk or a couple of yoghurts a day, some cheese etc.

At six months my daughter was on 5 bottles a day but they all started dropping like flies once weaning was fully established. She now has two bottles a day and she could probably cope on one bottle a day but I think she's too young for that.

Lollie that's exactly what my daughter done so decided to stop one of the in between feeds and gave less but bigger ones. She then upped her milk in less but bigger feeds x

Hi Rooster, you say your LO is now on 2 milk feeds? I managed to drop the 4th bottle easily but she still seems to need the mid avo one, times are as follows:

8am ish 9oz bottle (2-3oz will be put in brekkie)
9ish brekkie cereal, bread, fruit
11ish snack - biscuit/crisps
12-1ish lunch - bread, cheese, yoghurt or fruit
2-3ish 7oz bottle (pretty much takes 5-6oz)
4-5ish tea - veg and meat and fruit
6ish final 9oz bottle

She is usually awake 7.30/8am til 6.30/7ish and has two naps per day....some days her meals and/or bottles get later and later and when her avo bottle is closer to 3pm I sometimes wonder whether to skip it but she has a better avo nap after a bottle as opposed to before so guessin she still needs it. Also about to set to with crawling and has plenty of standing up time so working off the energy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back