Drinking water

emmimoo

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My LO is 3 weeks old and she has been suffering with constipation and trapped wind. I am mixed feeding and have moved on to Dr Brown's bottles which have helped but last few days she has been really grizzly in periods during the day.
Midwife and health visitor both recommended cooled boiled water between feeds, not just for constipation but due to hot weather too, but I have also read that you shouldn't really feed babies anything other than milk.
Should I be giving my baby water little and often or just let them drink as much as they want in one sitting?

Thanks for your help

Xx

If your baby is formula fed you can offer them cooled boiled water. Breast milk changes in consistency naturally, so if it's hot it goes really watery. But formula doesn't obviously. I tend to put a few ounces in a bottle and offer it to LO through out the day. To begin with they probably won't take much in one go cos it's different to milk etc. Now my son is a bit older I put a splash of baby juice in it which he seems to enjoy more than just water.

If you are bfing, try drinking some OJ 1hr before a feed it seems to work with the constipation x

I gave my LO 10mls or so of cooled boiled water from around 3 weeks old. Also when I finished BF'ing I moved her from Aptamil to Hipp Organic milk, and it made a world of difference to wind and constipation. Its a much more gentle milk.

Dr Browns are great. We still use them now! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back