Dream places and how the heck I'm gonna do when I have a child...

Debh09

Reaction score
Basically I have many places I've always wanted to visit but never been able to afford. I was hoping to go to New York before I had a family but never had thenough finances. Was thinking of going later in the year but I would be around 7 months pregnant and feel the journey would not only be very tiring and uncomfortable but also I may not enjoy as much as I planned. I do worry it won't be til the child is 18+ to be able to go there. I've known people that have done these kind of trips and left child for a weekend or so. I just would feel guilty I think and also other half isn't big into cities and would not want to go. There are also other places like grand Canyon, Italy, Paris and other places I've always loved to visit. Trying not to panic myself by not going before I have a child. I worry new York is also quite a hectic bustling place to take a child. Part of me really wants to show the child the world 😊 I'm sure I will figure it out. Any one else had places they've dreamed of visiting but haven't yet?

I've been lucky enough to do some travelling before getting pregnant and while TTC, but there are still places I want to see. I see no problem with taking baby/child along - I guess it's just finance problems that will stop me. I plan on going everywhere I want to that I haven't managed yet - specifically Indonesia, South Africa, Peru and an American road trip. I don't think anywhere is out of reach, just needs some extra planning :)

Hey.
I don't think you visiting places has to stop at all when you have a child. Of course, when your baby is older taking them in school holidays may be a bit of a nuisance but they'll end up well travelled with you.

As for NYC we booked it for the Feb knowing we'd start trying for a baby in the May, however, I took my implant out in the October beforehand and said what will be will be. Ended up getting caught straight away and going to NYC whilst 14 weeks pregnant. It is the most amazing place but you'll do a lot of walking if you want to see so much of it. It was tiring and a lot of strain on my back even that early on & now being 7 months myself there is no way I would recommend a big city break like that so far gone.

You can always go after baby is born, you'll have extra time to save a bit then too. Babies can be put into slings also so you and your partner can share they carrying whilst still seeing some amazing places around the world.

Xx

You could still do all those places with a young child of finances let you ? Did you see an article a little while back it was about a woman and her husband he took leave from work the same time as she had maternity & they spent the whole of her maternity leave travelling to different countries around the world with the baby too :)

You could still do all those places with a young child of finances let you ? Did you see an article a little while back it was about a woman and her husband he took leave from work the same time as she had maternity & they spent the whole of her maternity leave travelling to different countries around the world with the baby too :)

omg that would be amazing! or mad.. i cant quite decide :)

You can still do things with a baby. My lo is 11 months and we're going to New York for a week in December - I think it'll be even more magical seeing the Christmas displays with our baby x

Just had to reply to this! Our LO was 1 1/2 when we went abroad virtually non stop traveling for 2 months! We wanted to make use of the fact that flights were free! It was hard work but we wouldn't have missed it for the world. FYI that was 10 flights in 2 months and 2 of them were 14 hours long!!!! Plenty of organization but an amazing experience. If money allows GO FOR IT!!!!

I've went away with my friends and with my husband without much son, not loads but been on city breaks with hubby and went to New York and spa weekends with my friend, yes I missed my son but I didn't feel guilty I needed something to boost my energy again and have some me time, he was with my mum and had a great time, it's possible it's just working it all out also on some flights children under 2 travel free so possibly bring the little one too

I would say just go for it when you can!! I would take baby definitely - I took my daughter to spain when she was 9 months old, and then Texas when she was 1 and a half and that was a 10 hour flight - and it wasn't too difficult at all! I wish I had taken her more places before I had to start paying for a seat for her on an aeroplane!

I think it's great to get the kids out and about to see the world, only downfall is they won't remember it if they go so young but of course travelling with a child older is gonna be costly, its a tricky one!

I still had quite a bit of energy 7 months pregnant, its only now 6 weeks before due date I am massively running out of energy lol xx

I don't think you should feel guilty about wanting to travel. It does so much good to see a bit of the world. I've been lucky to already travel quite a lot, but I plan to continue after children. My partner and I are both adventurous, and have agreed that we will both do everything we can to allow the other a week or so every year to go off and travel alone. I think it's good for the individual, relationship and family to have a bit of alone time, and broaden horizons. Of course, I want my children to see the wolrd too when they are old enough to appreciate it (maybe 5+?) xx

We take our son everywhere, children really don't stand in your way if you want to travel :) I worried about it too before we had him, but that wasn't necessary at all. At 5 months we went to a small b&b in Ireland with him. We drove to France (live in Belgium), took the boat where we had to sleep as well, and drove for another 5 hours or so. He had less problems with the trip than I did, I was terribly sea sick lol. Once there we went hiking with him in his sling, it was just a perfect holiday. We would certainly have travelled more with him if we hadn't bought a house last summer. Now we're just taking him on a city trip but next year we want to take both our lo's to Italy.

I echo what everyone says. I flew to oz at 30 weeks pregnant (for a wedding) and it was fine I just had lots of early nights whilst I was there.

My three are used to travel they love seeing different cultures we have been to Europe, China, Thailand, South America even the Philippines which is less easy to navigate!

I think they find the travel element easier than me

Don't let having a baby stop you, loads of people travel with small children :)

My recommendation would be to do it when your baby is young if you can, and to breastfeed and use a sling - NY wouldn't be that tricky with baby in a sling on your front, and if you breastfeed then there's no need to worry about having loads of supplies with you for whole days out, other than some nappies and change of clothes etc.

If you can afford it sooner rather than later I'd say it'd definitely be easier with a five month old than a three year old, for example :lol:

People are so funny. People thought we were odd by taking our 3 days old to the supermarket after being dischsrged from hospital. There is a big thing about kids tie you down, ours doesn't she comes everywhere and loves it. She eats out and has lovely table manners, she loves shopping and doing lunch with the ladies and st 3 wants her daddy to take her to football! We have been to Egypt, Spain, Ibiza and she loved it (also been to CBeebies/peppa world for her lol)

My advice is include them in your life from day 1, take them along and do what you do, the only thing we miss really is the cinema but we save that for date night! X

I've just started a travel journal in this section of the forum. We are off to Paris on Friday with our 15/16 week old and we only booked it last week. Just in case you are looking for ideas on travelling with a little one instead of missing out!

I say go for it!

People are so funny. People thought we were odd by taking our 3 days old to the supermarket after being dischsrged from hospital. There is a big thing about kids tie you down, ours doesn't she comes everywhere and loves it. She eats out and has lovely table manners, she loves shopping and doing lunch with the ladies and st 3 wants her daddy to take her to football! We have been to Egypt, Spain, Ibiza and she loved it (also been to CBeebies/peppa world for her lol)

My advice is include them in your life from day 1, take them along and do what you do, the only thing we miss really is the cinema but we save that for date night! X

We had similar reactions when my oh took us out for an ice cream on our first day out of hospital. It's nice to read other people do the same, we only know 1 couple who do the same and their children are older. It is indeed funny when you see children like ours behave perfectly on outings and the people who have comments about taking a little baby everywhere are usually the ones with ten year olds who don't even know how to behave in a supermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back