Downs

s

Reaction score
I had my first doctor appointment this evening which went really well but she went into a lot of detail about Downs. Lord above first of all we worry about miscarrying until we get to week 12 and now this! I'm 37 so no spring chicken any more.
I know I need to get it out of my mind and not think about it.
S

Hi, I know what you mean. I am 33 and got that speach as well. I've decided to have the nuchal test, but it hasn't stopped me worrying either. I know that I haven't helped you much, but just wanted to let you know your not alone.

I know what you mean. I went along to my first midwife appt and was full of the joys of being pg and came out feeling really depressed. My Dh kept telling me that they have to tell you all about it blah blah but still it's just one more thing to worry about.

I decided to have the tests, my results came back that I was low risk which was a relief but I know that it still doesn't mean to say that I won't have a downs syndrome baby.

Try not to think about it too much, just keep thinking positive thoughts :D

Xxx

Lindsay,
You mustn't worry now. You've had the test. If there were any doubts that you are at risk they would have told you. Put it behind you now. Do you mind me asking what age you are? Even at my age it's a 1 in 165 chance which is pretty slim and there is no history of abnormalities in my family.
I hope all is going well for you and you're enjoying your pregnancy.
S

Hi Everyone,

Yes the downs thing is worrying me too.. I will be 37 when I have my little Bean so they are offering me a NT scan on 1st Feb I will be 12 weeks then... I am still too nervous about just getting to that stage after my past m/c's but I know when I arrive at the hosp for that scan I will be very scared indeed.

There are so many things to worry about during pregnancy.. how can we be excited when so much to stress about!!

good luck everyone.. x

Hi s

I don't mind you asking my age at all - I will be 29 next tuesday. I am doing ok, I think the baby is resting on a nerve at the moment though, when I walk I get really sharp pains every now and again and I start limping around, what must I look like :shock:

I hope that your tests go well, try not to worry, am sure everything will be fine for you.

Xxx

Anna Marie,
I can see that you're taking each day as it comes. There's only so much heartache a person can take. Let me know how your scan goes on February 1st. You're nearly there now you know.
S

I'm 31 - 32 this year.. the midwife seemed to think i was still a sprint chick at 31... she did mention the tests and i agreed i'd like them.. They only tell you if your at a high risk or low... I have mine in 3 weeks - (15 weeks)

DH was worried about it too as he is 50 this year... (4 days before chick is due to be born)... he he! what a birthday present... the midwife explained that the man ages doesn't effect the baby.

Try not to worry about these tests.

x

Thanks S,

Yes I am taking each day as it comes and every time I go to EPU each Monday I stress myself stupid!! but so far each visit I have left with a huge grin on my face so fingers X'd I will continue to do so.. will keep you posted.. just the weekend to get through and then its Monday again!!

have a lovely w/e!!!

Hayley.. so glad your scan went well yesterday.. what a relief it is eh? Now it all feels so real too!!

take care everyone
xx

Im having my Nuchal Test done today at Kings College. I am very very worried as I have had a pregnancy in which my little one had Edwards Sydrome. Please all be positive for me today

Eveadel.... Sending positive thoughts for you and little bean... xxxx

Thank you Anne Marie, I really appreciate it.

(Hope this works?)

Hi Eveadel.. how was your scan??

Hope all was well and results OK..

xx

Hi Anne Marie

Thank you for asking.

We are at low risk - yipeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a worrying day. We had to go to London, our appointment was at 5pm. At 6.30pm we still have not been seen so I asked if it would be long. We was then told our appoitment would be at 8pm as they was running late. I was really getting very anxious and when I finally went into the room I just started crying and couldnt stop. The baby was fine although he/she was asleep so they had to wake it up as they couldnt get the Nuchal measurment. Well, they do say never wake a sleeping baby because after that he/she was so active and they still couldnt get the measurement as the baby wouldnt keep still. They did get the measurement in the end and everything was fine.

I feel I can finally relax and enjoy this pregnancy and really look forward to meeting my little one.

Thats great Eveadel.. what a relief.. I don't blame you for being anxious.. I am very sure I will be anxious next week..
I am going to be 37 in April so I expect I will be high rish. dreading it.

Do you mind me asking how old you are and what they actually do at the scan.. is it just the measurements they use to assess risk or to they use age, family and health history too? I really need to read up on it all but too scared!!!!

Very happy all is good for you and little bouncing bean.
xxx

Im 31, 32 next month. At Kings College they are very thorough. They measure length, they check to make sure their is a nasal plate (this is not normally there in babies with Downs and Edward Syndrome), count legs and arms, check liver, kidney etc. The nuchal measurement they take does not take long at all especially if your baby is good :lol: They do take into account age and previous history.

When do you have your Nuchal scan?

Wow Eveadel
What a day for you! You must have been at your wit's end as you continued to make you wait. I would have been in tears too. I'm so glad everything worked out okay. I really, really am. Time to enjoy it all now.
My scan isn't until the end of February/early March.
Sleep well tonight!
S

Hi there,

Wow Eveadel they were thorough.. thats great!!
I have heard that many local authorities do not offer NT scans on NHS unless over 35.. but they offer the triple blood test instead which apparently is not as accurate.

My NT scan is a week today.. another thing to fret over!!
REally don't know what I would do / think if I was told high risk or they saw obvious signs of downs or edwards.. they way that if fluid is less than 3mm thick then all ok.. fingers x'd

xxxx

Fingers crossed for you, try not to worry.

With my first baby when they said that my risk was extremely high then advised that Amnio would be able to confirm, in which it did.

If you want to be more assured you can have the evasive tests done but you do have a risk of miscarriage.

My little baby now had Nuchal of 1.5mm so I am very pleased.

Yes that is a very good measurement.. no doubt there!!

The risk of m/c worries me given that I have suffered 3 m/c already in my life.. they may not allow me to have such a test with my history. Guess will have to cross that bridge if and when we come to it..

:? :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back