Down Syndrome Etiquette

Oh I don't know tweety, the organisation you have needed and the willpower you have shown with regards to your pumping, expressing and storing of bm is pretty inspirational. I don't think I could have done that. I know I'm not directly talking about DS but I've always thought you are fab for sticking to it x

Oh I don't know tweety, the organisation you have needed and the willpower you have shown with regards to your pumping, expressing and storing of bm is pretty inspirational. I don't think I could have done that. I know I'm not directly talking about DS but I've always thought you are fab for sticking to it x

Thanks hun ... I'm just a stubborn bugger more than anything :lol:

Thanks hun ... I'm just a stubborn bugger more than anything :lol:

Stubbornness really is epic sometimes. Lol - it's amazing how far being a stubborn bugger can get you. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I think you are fab hun, expressing, keeping up with appointments, physio etc.
I have often wondered how i would behave in a situation - i dont think i would have said anything. But is it right?
I dont have anyone in the family who has a learning disability but it must be hard.
I dont think people understand fully unless they are in the situation.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I think this is a fab post. My son has autism and I have heard so many things over the years that have baffled me as to why people would say them. I also hate it when people refer to him as 'autistic' instead of 'a boy with autism'. I think this kind of awareness not only helps adults reading this but will help our children in the long run as people will be more aware and sensitive x

Last edited:
Thanks. I will take this on board now cause what might not seem offending can be hurtful to others so thanks for the post.

I have an aunt with DS and I will say the most common thing I have heard been referred to my aunt is the "they" label. People always say oh she can't half throw a tantrum are they all like that or they are very loving people but I see what you mean. Everyone is equal.

My aunt is like 60 so she's lived a good life, has a wee job, lives in a care home although now the dementia has set in and it's making it difficult to take her to visit relatives etc.

I think it's mostly the older gen you tend to hear the remarks made (mostly unintentionally) with regards to the labels etc and it's because the older gen didn't or don't know too much about DS.

Xxxxxx

Fab post Hun! I was only pondering this the other day as I met a lady with twins, one of which had Down's syndrome, I was obviously interested in the fact they were twins (may have been naive but I didn't notice anything else) and when I started chatting to her she straight away told me about the ds. I suddenly thought she must have thought that was what I was looking at, and I felt so bad. She was lovely and once she realised I was interested in the twin aspect we chatted for ages!
Xxx

Yeah I wasn't saying you we're inspirational to offend you. Sorry.

I just meant with the expressing and the charity work etc...

Sorry didn't mean it to come out as it did x

Yeah I wasn't saying you we're inspirational to offend you. Sorry.

I just meant with the expressing and the charity work etc...

Sorry didn't mean it to come out as it did x

Oh please don't be upset Hun :friends:

It's all good - takes a lot more than that to actually offend me - but you may come across another mum one day who offends a lot more easily

I give people a break mostly unless they use the M word or the R word (which no one has thankfully) like I said, I knew nothing before I had Aaron and would have offended the entire ds community!!

I completely understand why you don't think your inspirational. But I really think you are. Not because Aaron's condition. But how you've dealt with things. I'm sure you think your just being a mum. And yes you are. But I'm sure there's many mums who would not have been able to cope with everything that's happened. And hopefully you and Aaron will be able to support and inspire people in years to come with the condition :) and educate people further xxx

What an amazing person you are to do this! Have you ever thought about starting some form of support group/ website/ charity for new mums/ families who want questions answered.

My mums worked with children with all disabilities for years (mainly teenage/young adults) and always remember her bringing home a video all excited and it was two former pupils both had ds and it was the video of their wedding! As far as we know they're still married and got their own little place together!

Brilliant post, thank you for sharing. I def need educating about this as, yes, my comments are well intended but never ever ment to offend (as I know you understand) but I'd rather not have that uncomfortable dynamic, ever.

Apologies hun xx

Fab post really informative :) I know I'm guilty of the special baby for a special
Mummy faux pas and I defo have called you an inspiration :blush: I think it's because I find it nice to think that I have my little lady for a reason . Having said that I will now be more aware that it can be offensive for other people so thank you :)

My sister is 19 now they didn't do the tests like they do now for Down's syndrome.
We have learnt alot over the years and Sarah is like any other teenager, stroppy, moody etc lol.
She starts college in September as she's just finishing 6th form.

Thanks for the post, Tweets. It was really interesting to read and I'll bear it all in mind. Lots of love to you and Aaron xxx

:yay: great post, my cousin and brother both have various disabilities from watching people's reactions to them and our whole family I think alot of people just don't understand, so thanks for just letting us all know

I also hate it when people say 'special' like "he's a special child," every child is gorgeous and special in thier own way! I have to say Aaron is a massive cutie tho!

My sister is 19 now they didn't do the tests like they do now for Down's syndrome.
We have learnt alot over the years and Sarah is like any other teenager, stroppy, moody etc lol.
She starts college in September as she's just finishing 6th form.

Love to hear that she is starting college :love:

Aaron. Is just like any other baby ... Anyone who tells me that "they are so loving ... Etc etc" are more that welcome to Aaron's next meltdown because he can't reach the giant green ball!

im sure aaron, like any other boy can be loving and can also throw a massive wobbler when he dosent get his own way haha

im sure aaron, like any other boy can be loving and can also throw a massive wobbler when he dosent get his own way haha

Oh he can throw a strop with the best of them, he also gives the best cuddles which makes up for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back