Doula

GingerKitty

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of the mums here used a Doula during childbirth?

Honestly, I hadn't thought this was for me, but I've seen quite a bit of research now and am considering it.

Would love to hear others' experiences.

I seriously considered hiring one this birth but I've ended up not doing.
Sorry, no real help. I do think they can be a good idea though.

Thanks, Pheonix - I was thinking that it was too "hippie" for me, but there seems to be so much good stuff out there about them. Expensive, though!

I've looked into it and would definitely consider having one but I can't afford it x

I spoke to one last week & I would love to have one as I want a home birth too - but at nearly £1000 we just can't justify it sadly.

That's the problem - they tend to be very pricey and with everything else we need to pay for I'm not sure we can justify it, either! :(

Yes it was mostly cost that put me off too.

If you look on Doula UK there are sometimes "mentored" Doulas who charge a lot less, but it's still £200+ and sometimes the mentored ones want as much as the non-mentored ones!
There's also an "access fund" on Doula UK which I looked into and would have qualified but non of the Doulas on Doula UK in my area either replied, or the ones that did reply said they weren't available so wasn't any point pursuing funding.

Ultimately I wasn't 100% set on the Doula that was available for me (she's not registered with Doula UK) and I didn't want to pay her all that money and then regret her presence.

I think if you can find one you really "gel" with and gets you it's fab and worth having them to support you and advocate for you, but it's a lot of money especially if you're not completely in tune with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back