Double pram/pushchair recommendations please?

baby.3

Reaction score
so I'm a long way off needing a double pram, every early days. But I've seen how expensive they are, so just wanted to get a feel for what's out there, what people recommend and how much! Will need to put aside some money and once past 12 was look to buy as that will be our biggest expense.

So what do you ladies recommend?

Thanks xx

Hi!
I have a 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 and a half year old and am pregnant with number 4. As you can imagine we’ve had a lot of use of our doubles! When we had baby 1 we knew we wanted baby 2 to not have a big age gap so when we looked at prams for our first I decided it made no sense to buy one that couldn’t be added to to make it a double. My mum and mother in law both gave us money as it was our first child so that’s what paid for the biggest chunk of it. We bought the bugaboo donkey (version 1.1) in mono formation but once I was pregnant with number 2 we bought the extra seat etc that were needed to make it a double. I wasn’t at all keen on having my children ‘stacked’ and wanted them side by side. The Donkey is very very easy to steer and easy to put together but you do need a large boot in your car! Later when I had baby 3 and the other two were still quite young we bought the bugaboo buggy board which has a built in seat and that was absolutely fantastic for going to the shops with all of them because it meant if I was crossing a road or something I could get the oldest on the board and still push with both hands as I knew she was safe. The newer versions of the donkey have a few upgrades like foam wheels rather than blow up ones that might be worth having but overall they are now on version 3 and the differences are minimal which to me means they haven’t really found much that needs to be improved. Also newer model parts are compatible with the older ones so I could order new wheels for mine and they would upgrade my current model. In all honesty I can’t recommend the bugaboo enough but it doesn’t mean I don’t have other options :rotfl:

My husband was horrified when pregnant with baby 3 I decided that I wanted a second pram. I bought the Uppababy Vista secondhand. It is what I refer to as the ‘stacking’ kind where one child is above the other but the 2015 model onwards allows you to have the two children facing each other if you want which I felt was a bit better as the one on the bottom didn’t seem so forgotten. My main reason for getting this was because I knew I was going to have to go in and out of nursery twice a day and the doors were barely big enough for the bugaboo, I also thought it would be better for things like holidays in the UK where you might be going into smaller seaside shops etc with poorer access. I spent £300 and had both seats plus added extras like a snack tray and it was all in immaculate condition. However unfortunately after about a year of use I was out walking and the whole chassis snapped in half, the welding joint just split. I googled it and found that this was something other Owners had reported so I thought I would ring uppababy. I didn’t tell them I had bought it secondhand but I told them it’s age and it’s unique production number and within 5 minutes they had arranged to courier me a brand new chassis no questions asked - a new one is at least a few hundred pounds. All I had to do was give the courier the old one to take back to the company. Once the new one arrived I discovered that I couldn’t remove one of the wheels from the old chassis. I rang uppababy and they tried some helpful advice before admitting it was probably stuck and just sent me a new wheel out as well. You might think that this isn’t a great advert for their products but I think it was just a well used pram in the end and their customer service was fantastic. It has been really useful for me. The huge shopping basket underneath is brilliant for carrying shopping or all the stuff that comes with 3 kids! My only real complaint is that it is nowhere near as easy to steer as the bugaboo.

Finally not a pram but useful info nonetheless. We have been to Disneyworld Florida a few times and to go there I bought a secondhand Maclaren Twin Techno buggy. The seats can recline flat so would still be suitable for young babies if you needed something with an umbrella fold action. It has been really useful for us but it is not without its problems, it’s terrible to steer when comparing with a pram. If you attach a buggy board (we used the buggy board maxi with seat) you have to stand to one side because the buggy board takes up most of your walking space. Basically it’s good for a short period of time but wouldn’t want to use it as my everyday pram/buggy.

hope that’s helpful!

I hate double prams that stack, I feel so bad for the bottom child lol. I'm going to try and carry/wear baby 2 and stick the 19mo old in the pram for the first 6mo, then buy a cheap double travel pram... but we will see how that goes haha. If we need the double I'm getting a bugaboo donkey, second hand though!

Good choice! You won’t be disappointed and I expect now they are up to version 3 you could get the model I have for a good price x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back