Dopplers: Finding the fetal heartbeat

Rhelen91

Reaction score
I'm 10 weeks today and my Sonoline B doppler turned up in the post. I had wanted to wait until 12 weeks to give it a go but after seeing so many people say they've found the HB as early as 8 weeks I caved and had a little go. I've watched videos on youtube showing how to find the HB, but just couldn't pick anything up. I could find my heartbeat, and a whooshing noise that sounded like the placenta, but no baby heartbeat. I didnt get too stressed and just switched it off after 10 minutes. Hoping to try again in a few days and have better luck.

Has anyone else struggled to find the babies heartbeat at this stage? And at what point did you eventually find it? Open to any tips and advice :)

I've tried and can't pick anything up yet, I've decided to just try each Sunday morning so I don't get too stressed about it. I think sometimes persistence is key but I wouldn't worry xx

I heard the whooshing of the placenta and went further down and then either to the left or right and that's where I found it- that was 9 weeks. Good luck and you're doing the right thing not getting stressed x

You need to be really low down....baby is still in your pelvis so you need to be putting the Doppler just above your pubic bone. Then start at one side and slightly angle the Doppler up/down/left/right...if no hb then lift the Doppler off and relocate further across and repeat xx

I panicked as I couldn't find it when I was 10 weeks exactly, then found it at 10+3. Haven't been able to find it since but max time I spend is 5 mins.
When I found it, the baby's HB was inbetween my belly button and pubic bone and slightly to the left. I also had to tilt the doppler down too.
Good luck xx

Last edited:
Thanks ladies, I have been using the doppler really low down just above the pubic bone. I'm doing the same as you Bobby, and going to try each Wednesday so that I'm not overusing it and getting stressed :) x

I've just noticed what time I posted this morning! That's what happens when you crash and burn on the sofa at 8:20!

I found mine at 10 weeks. At that stage it's easiest first thing in the morning when had nothing to eat or drink. Baby grows rapidly over next few weeks and it becomes much much easier. At 16 weeks I can find it immediately whatever time of day and have been able to for quite a while.

I got it once at 10 weeks then never again... I gave up and will try next week when I am 14 weeks.
I went for my scan on Monday, though, and it made me think - our little one wouldn't keep still! Therefore, unless it's deciding to 'sleep' there is a good chance we won't hear it if it's moving around a lot! I had scan at 11+1 and it was jiggling around then the one in Monday was 12+6, so good chance it was never going to be heard! Or at least this is what I am telling myself. Based on no scientific fact of knowledge! Especially when it's still so small at 10 weeks. You could have yourself a juggler.
However, I have also read that people have tried for an hour or more to find the heartbeat and then found it eventually... It takes ages apparently. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back