Doppler

Clover

Reaction score
Hello my lovelies

My friend on here (thank you
first_time_mum ) is sending me her
Doppler as a Bfp present :)

I'm only 6+2 so was just wondering when I would be able to use it?? I wouldn't want to try to early as I think it would worry me if I couldn't find it

Has anyone else bought/used one?
And from how many weeks? :)

xxxxxx

Apparently its 10-12, also mentioned is 8-10 weeks before it can reliably find the heartbeat according to Google... we all know that might not be accurate but thats what Im finding. How lovely of first_time_mum to do that, and how exciting for you! xx

Last edited:
Oh thanks Sparklegirl
I will probably wait till 9 / 10 weeks but not stress too much if I can't find it

Oh yeah its so lovely of her to send it, she has been an amazing support through my TTC journey as have lots of other ladies on here :)

Xxxx

I tried mine last week at 11w and nothing.

It depends on the doppler, placenta positioning and ofcourse baby positioning.

MW wont listen for a babys heart beat until 16 weeks as it can be tricky for some easy for others.

I didnt retry. I need new gel as think that may be my issue as Im feeling random wriggles now. Last time I was 13w I believe as I got my doppler after my 12w scan.

xxxx

Umm from the shops probably angel sounds, or one with a heart rate monitor Id say.

You can rent the dopplers the MW use too, I was gonna do it last time and ended up buying one but as I felt movement early I just stopped using it.

xxxx

I found mine at 11 weeks, I hadn't tried before that. I've got a jumper fetal dopplar and have found it every time I've tried.
There are lots of videos on you tube giving you tips on how to find it and show how low down you need to look xx

Hi Clover.
Will just tell you my experiences of using a Doppler.
I got one on advice of someone who had also been highly anxious in pregnancy. Not saying you are, but just my experience!
I have maybe heard it once.
Maybe.
I had a scare the other day (when exactly 16 weeks) and had dark brown discharge/blood for a couple of hours, then stopped. Hospital wouldn't give me a scan, despite back ache or reassurance so my midwife came round and said she'd listen to heartbeat. I was panicking as I couldn't find it at all. She put her Doppler straight on and said, "It might take a while, so please don't worry." As soon as she put it on, out it came, strong and fast.
My DH told her I had a Doppler and she was very 'cross' and told me I was naughty! (In the nicest way!) She said NICE and the NHS do not recommend them. She said that professionals know what they are looking for and we don't! It can give us false hope or make us panic beyond measure.
Babies move about all the time and can be very hard to 'find' as our 12 weeks scan showed us! To get any sort of good picture, and for sonographer to be able to look at everything she needed to, I was having to put myself in all sorts of positions because it was all over the place.
I also heard that earliest you can hear is 10 weeks, but obviously people have different stories. Packaging says you can't hear until 14 weeks, but I couldn't hear it even after that.
I am sorry to go on and don't want to preach, but I know that it's caused me anxiety and wouldn't want you to go through the same thing, especially knowing how much you want this and for how long you've been trying.
If it works for you, go for it... Good luck. Would love to hear about when you find hb with it!
I definitely think 6+2 is too early to hear btw. My MW is going to listen again on Friday for hb just for my peace of mind, but she refused until 16 weeks :)
Might be worth talking to MW about what she thinks about it :)
Xxxx

Hi Siamesecatlady
Thanks so much for your advice
I probably wouldn't of bought a doppler or thought if using one so early if I hadn't of been offered one, I think im going to wait till after my dating scan before I even try to find the heartbeat
I work in a GP surgery as a immunisation nurse so share my room with the Midwife so if I see her next week I will ask her advice,
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a scare , glad to hear that everything's ok sweetie :)

Xxxxx

Thank you :)
Glad you took the advice as it was meant! I just know it's caused me pain! (Mental)
Let us know what happens. Xxx

My DH told her I had a Doppler and she was very 'cross' and told me I was naughty! (In the nicest way!) She said NICE and the NHS do not recommend them. She said that professionals know what they are looking for and we don't! It can give us false hope or make us panic beyond measure.

They are also not considered safe as they use continuous ultrasound (rather than pulsing like scans do) and the effects on the foetus are unknown.

If you google the dangers of Dopplers or ultrasound there is a lot of evidence to suggest their use should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Yeah your not meant to get too many scans or use the doppler always but limited use is fine I guess?

Christ I had to stand in with Jackson whilst getting an xray. I had the coat on and stood with the radiogrpaher and I read the affects are minimal to get a dental xray because the radiation is fragmented or something but it has played on my mind.

Esp since my shit doppler has only picked up my placenta. Ive got my scan tuesday so hanging on in till then.

xxxx

Yes I think it's important you don't overuse it or for long periods of time if you choose to use one at all.

The midwives will only hold it to your belly for a matter of seconds to limit exposure.

Last edited:
I found Rocky at 11weeks & 3 days lying completely flat in the evening and holding it literally on my pubic bone - we used the AngelSounds Doppler xx

I heard HB at 9 and half weeks but then it disappeared for a few weeks and then came back again. I think they're fab as long as people don't get worried if they can't detect it x

My cousin is lending me one but I'm not sure if I want to use it now!!
My MW let me record the heartbeat on my phone last week at 16 weeks, nice and strong :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back