don't think it is my beans heart beat... feel stupid!

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by hayley, Dec 27, 2005.

1. hayley

hayley Well-Known Member

Has anyone else hired a doppler? well from 6 weeks i thought i found my beans heart beat.... it was low down close to my bikini line and towards the left... I've been listening to it every few days and feeling really happy that it sounds strong!

Then out of interest i moved the doppler to the same place but on the right side of my bikini line and i heard another beat.... after a mad panic i think i've found a pulse.... and not my beans heart beat!!! i feel so stupid now!

I lay flat out on the bed for half an hour with DH and started loking again for a heart beat.. we searched the whole of my bikini line area but can't seem to find anything.... which is quite annoying, upsetting and frustrating!

Can anyone offer some advice.... i am totally confussed now!

x

2. ToriElla

ToriElla Well-Known Member

Your babys heartbeat will be alot faster than yours. feel your pulse in your neck when you are doing it maybe - then you might be able to see if it is yours or not.

when i lie down on my back now i can see my pulse on my stomach because its harder work for your heart when you lie like that (if that makes any sense!!)

my midwife told me that movement is more important that heartbeat when determining the health of the baby and sometimes it's hard for them to find the heartbeat because they listen through the babys shoulder so it depends on the babys position. I'm sure when you are futher along it will be easier to find xx

3. michelle82

michelle82 Well-Known Member

You need to spend ages looking for it at first and always pick up your own pulse and you can pick up the sound of the umbilical cord and placenta as your only 8 weeks you may not find it for a little while yet, the midwives here dont even check for it until 16 weeks as their dopplers cant always pick it up before then. Some of the websites that hire dopplers have recordings that you should listen to to get an idea of the noise you are looking for

4. Hypnorm

Hypnorm Well-Known Member

6 weeks is very early to be able to hear a heart beat, at 12wks you should be able to hear it as baby is moving abobve the pelvic bone

5. hayley

hayley Well-Known Member

thanks for your replies...

I got myself all excited thinking i'd found the heart beat but i suppose it is still early days... I'm coming upto my 9th week - I have a scan booked for week 13. I'll have to just be a little more patient..

x