Don't know if my son likes nursery? What to do

Mummy2toddler

Reaction score
Hi ladies was wondering of anyone could give me your opinions please. Basically my local childrens centre have an offer of 3 hours for £5 through out the 6 week holidays so Ive put my son down to go 3 days a week to mix with other children. Anyway last week was his first week he broke his heart everyday which I expected I take him my partner fetches him. One day last week my partner came home and said I think I got there just at the right time he was sitting at the table with his hands on his cheeks. Now thinking about it are the staff bothering with him? And last week as well I dropped him off and he broke his heart again and a staff member come to him and said what ever she said I can't remember so I went 2 minutes later I was going for my bus but you can see the little outdoor area they have and she was playing with other children and my son was no where to be seen. Of course I know there's other children but I just thought she may of just took him out with her while he was upset. My son went crèche for 12 weeks one day a week for 2 hours and the staff were a lot more nicer and friendlier. I'm not slagging the staff off but it's just some impressions I've got when I've took him. I'm now so worried and my dilemma is is he upset cause its different staff he's not used to them or does he really hate going. I've only got him paid up until this Thursday so I don't know whether speak to them but my son will be 3 in December he can't tell me if he hates it he cries but I don't know if its cause its new staff or just hates going. I feel awful on him and I don't want him keep going if he hates it but I don't know what do he only goes to try bring on his speech by hopefully interacting with other children . I've not got a problem with the staff it's just the impression I get from the few times I met them I may be wrong I don't know. I just don't know whether keep trying him or take him out of it. Sorry for the long post & repeating myself a few times I just dunno what do for the best. I'm going try speak to them tomorrow and see how he's getting on xx

Bless his wee soul!

I would deffo ring them. Yes there are other children, but this is why you are only aloud a certain number of babys to child minder, to make sure that every child is recving balanced attention.

It doesn't help that ur son is upset and left to get on with it. I'm sure your son may learn to like it if he was included in the games with other children.

I would certainly speak to the person in charge at this place xxxxx

Does he have a keyworker there? I work in childcare and each child has a keyworker, that person builds a bond with the child and helps them to settle etc. Its very hard, we have children who cry for weeks and weeks (this is usually just when they first come in) before they settle, some children find the separation and transition hard. I do think there is a lot to be said for gut feeling though and you should definitely ask some questions to ease the concerns you have. It is heart-breaking to see them so upset, I always go out of my way to help settle the children that cry x

What sort of mood is he generally in when you collect him? His he happy and playing most of the time?

My DS started nursery in January and 8 months later cries most days when dropped off (he stops as soon as I'm out of sight). But when I pick him up he is happy as larry so I know he's ok there.

I think sometimes as mums we have to trust our instincts and go with your gut feeling hun x

Thank you ladies for your replies my partner fetches him and says he's ok when he goes but I'm going today so I'm going to see how he reacts when I fetch him. I only took up the offer as he isn't around other children very much and I usually take him our local play centre it's like a wacky warehouse but better but while the 6 weeks are on I'm not taking him as it gets too busy & the older children are a bit boisterous. I am going speak to the staff this afternoon my mum took him today for me my head is killing and I feel sick since I got up. He's crying to go home and everything I hate seeing him upset and I feel like a right cruel mother I am dreading when he goes in January this is where I've got him down to start as well. I'm going speak to them definitely. My mum has asked how he's getting on she said he cries through out the day and they try distract him with something take his mind off being upset. And she also asked if he's got any favourite toys so tomorrow ill give him a few to take that he likes. Gosh I feel so cruel on him. I'm going to speak to them myself just so they know I am a bit worried how upset he gets but ill see how he reacts later cause at crèche he cried but most weeks when I fetched him he didn't want to come lol! Thanks for your replies really appreciated I just feel so cruel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back