Dont go Shopping unless you have a bump

lisa31

Reaction score
Hi

Its probably me with hormones(!) but I went shopping today - wanted to buy something for the baby (I know its early - but Ive waited until I reached 12 weeks. So I went into gap and bought a pair of little white socks and a all in one thing.

I couldnt beleive the silly woman behind the counter she said " are you buying for yourself or a friend" and I said "For me" and she reached over the counter and looked me up and down and said in a really loud voice so everyone behind me could hear "ohh your very small" - so I said "Im only 12 weeks :oops: " .

I couldnt beleive it!!! whats it to do with her how much of a 'bump' I havent got!!?? silly cow - I was fuming and embarrsed - i felt very self-consicous then going in the other places.

Im not going to buy much before its born - but it was my treat for the weekend after having reached 12 weeks after all the problems Ive had with it.

Am I being over-sensitive!!!??

l X

I don't think you're overreacting, it's none of her business! But yea, the hormones during pregnancy are crazy....I probably would have told her a thing or two! :lol:

I just cant believe what a big thing she made of it. I shall go back to the shop when I have a bump and say "see this, well im not buying anything in here now" (like julia roberts in pretty woman when those women scorned her in that shop!!!!!!!!!) :lol:

you should have said to her, " im 12 weeks pregnant, how far gone are you??"

LOL

Yeah Steph I should of - or said - well you look about 40 weeks to me or are you just fat?! lol

Hey steph - I can believe it - you will have your baby soon!!!!!!!! make sure you come on here and let us know your news!!!! I shall be looking out for your post!

L x

yea i will let you all no! he just dont wana come out!!

loving my ticker by the way.... " hooray ive arrived" oh really where are you then?!!!!! lol

Steph

Bet you darent go out or anything! I would be climbing the walls lol

L x

lol yea i know, knowing my luck my waters would break while im out!! although i might have to go for a long walk soon to try and start things off!! ive been up and down the stairs numerous times already today!!!

Steph - apparently if your waters break when you are shopping in Marks and Spencers, you get free vouchers!! I'm thinking of going in there with a water balloon :twisted: !!

Lisa - I agree - cheeky woman. I think you tend to be more sensitive during pregnancy though!! Wait until you get people telling you how big or small you look for your stage of pregnancy - that really winds me up :x

LBxx

LOL littlebump - yea i heard the same, think i posted it on another thread somewhere but a lady i used to work with, her daughters waters broke in marks and spencer and they gave her a massive hamper!!!!!!

Isn't that great getting stuff for having your waters break in a shop, you'd think they'd try to charge you for damages lol!!

I hope things happen for you soon Steph.

Lisa I know how you feel, I was so big with the twins that every shop I would go in when i was 6/7 months pregnant it would be the same question "ohhhhhhhh not long now" and when i told them it was twins and actually it would be at least another 8 weeks they followed their first comment with "oh my you will be huge by then!!!!!!!"

If people cannot make sensible comments towards pregnant women they shouldnt make any at all.

Lisa31,

I just read your post and was appalled!!! Shopping early is a great idea-you look much more attractive in the clothes and when you are too big for your own clothes (which can happen suddenly) you don't have to go shopping in your hubbies sweats.

At 6 months or so (very much showing) I went shopping. I wanted one of those tank tops that are stretchy on top and flowing on the bottom. They were in all the stores at the time so I went into a 'regular' women's store. The two very skinny girls (guarenteed never pregnant) looked at me and whispered to each other and, as I approached, walked away. I was stunned. I hate shopping as it is and it is experiences like ours that make us wear our pj's everywhere.

Piece of advice (I hate unsolicited advice but you get to take it or leave it): I went shopping early as well and bought tons of stuff-jean capri's, shorts etc. I wanted the trendy stuff at the time (not the large waist band). Now at 30 weeks I have 1 pair of maternity pants that fit and don't want to go out and spend another fortune on more clothes. I just wish I had bought some of those ugly waisted pants (in Canada pants are not underwear but trousers/slacks etc). Sorry if you already knew that :oops:

Hi Mommy

Thanks for your reply and too was appalled - I mean just cos you havent got a bump doesnt mean you are unfit to be pregnant! Sorry to hear about your experience too - those girls were probably just jealous.

Im quite looking forward to wearing trousers that have stretchy waistbands - my work trousers are getting decidely tight!!

L x

Lisa, you want to go back to Gap, and firstly make sure the same women is behind the counter. Then pick armfulls of clothes that you have no intention of buying, and when you go to pay for them, and they do that annoying 'Gap thing' of asking "Did anyone help you today", you answer, very loud:
"No. And that bloody women didn't help me last time. I'm pregnant, she insulted me and because I'm hormonal her comments had a strange effect on me. I now have the urge to go into shops and pick up clothes just for the sake of it, knowing I'm not going to buy them".
Then turn on your heels and leave the store!
The good thing is that there are the 2 Gap shops in Leicester so you'll still be able to buy their cute clothes from the other one!!

ok, firstly to both lisa and tankett: i see you're both in leicester too! whereabouts? if you ever wanna meet up for a coffee or even just keep in touch via email, send me a PM or email me on [email protected]! i'd love to make some new friends!

i don't very often go into Gap, but after what you have just said lisa, i'll certainly never go in there! how very rude!!!!! i started buying a few bits just after my 12 week scan and if anyone had had the nerve to be so rude i would have given them a piece of my mind!!! (i'm pretty forward like that!)

you buy things if you feel like it, it's not as if you need to show your MAT1B certificate to prove you're preggers to be allowed to buy baby clothes!!!

I don't think she meant that you were unfit to be a mother, but she probably had no idea of how big women are at 12 weeks. After all the baby is only a few cm long and weighs about half an ounce at that stage so most women won't look v. pregnant. She's just an ignorant little know nothing!!

At about that time - and even now sometimes - I was looking for a t-shirt or badge that said "I'm pregnant - what's your excuse?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back