dogs

sam96031

Reaction score
whao has got a dog (one or more) and what breed are they?
Was wondering what people had and how you decided which breed to get? did you have it before or after your LO was born? and did having children contribute to the decision on the type of breed you chose :D

Yes we have a dog... its called cat breed.... but is a dog... :roll:

I have a doggy :wave:

He's a little Shi Tzu! He's gorgeous and soft as muck and thinks he's a baby. He can be quite hyper though.

I got him a few months before I found out I was pregnant and the pregnancy was unplanned so I didn't really take it into consideration.

Obviously even a small dog like mine I wouldn't leave alone with Jack but he is sweet with him, if jack is lying in play gym and cries my dog goes and lays beside him, he sometimes takes his toys over and drops them at Jacks feet, I dont think he understands he can't play yet lol.

Only consideration I really made before choosing he breed is the exercise he would need, obviously small dogs don't need a 3 mile walk everyday which is ideal for me!! (any dog needs some exercise each day though) :)

we are considering getting a dog when we move and i really like shi tzus but DH isnt sure of little dogs and i can imagine my dads face seeing as every dog weve had on the farm are big ones lol :lol:

we brought a dog after our LO was born. we choose a german shepherd as there my fav.

we did look into what breeds were better with children. are you thinking about getting a dog?

yeah iv just ordered a book on 200 different breeds of dogs and their personalities like if they are good with children etc as obviously it will be a family dog, iv ruled some out like alsations as i dont like them and springers as they are too hyper, my mum has one and all she ever does is complain how hyper she is lol

sam96031 said:
yeah iv just ordered a book on 200 different breeds of dogs and their personalities like if they are good with children etc as obviously it will be a family dog, iv ruled some out like alsations as i dont like them and springers as they are too hyper, my mum has one and all she ever does is complain how hyper she is lol

Get a boxer... My friends got one and apparently once you've owned a boxer you will never go back to owning any other breed... Doppy creatures really :think:

Squiglet said:
sam96031 said:

Get a boxer... My friends got one and apparently once you've owned a boxer you will never go back to owning any other breed... Doppy creatures really :think:
:think: they make me really nervous

sam96031 said:
Squiglet said:
sam96031 said:

:think: they make me really nervous

me too... its all they hyperactivity and drooling. :puke:

Got a Boston Terrier, she is 10yrs old and I have had her since she was 6 weeks. Bostons make great family pets, they are quite small in size too, but are very hard to find, you would probably have to go on a breeders list.

Also have a bull terrier who is 51/2 had since she was 8 weeks. She is the stupidest dog on the planet :rotfl:

Word of caution about Boxers, and I speak from experience having owned 2 years ago, they stay puppylike for years, and need quiet a lot of exercise. My oldest was 11 yrs when she died and she never really acted like an old girl.

Please be careful where you get your puppy from as there are many people out there who breed to make a fast £. Read up on different breeds and when you have a short list contact the kennel club who will send you a list of breeders.

Reputable breeders will be willing to answer any questions you have and will also ask you loads of questions to make sure you are suitable for one of their puppies.

A good breeder will also have an agreement with you that should you ever need to rehome your puppy, you will go to them first, they will help you rehome.

Whatever you do dont buy from pet shops or your local "loot" paper. Remember this puppy will be with you for the next decade or so, and so will any problems that come from bad breeding.

Sorry to ramble, but I have fostered dogs for a few years and know first hand the results of bad breeding, and impulse buying.

If you wanna rehome a homeless doggie, let me know I can point you towards some lovely people.

thanks for the advice jue, we are going to take it very slow in deciding wich one to get because as you say it will be with us for a very long time, i was planning to go to places like the vets so that they could put us in contact with reputable breeders as this is what my mum did.

awww how can u not like alsations :shock: there too cute.

walkinginforest030.jpg

paradysso that pic is so cute!!!!
my brother has a border collie cross red setter and he is the best dog ever!!! Protective of the boys but sucha friendly dog.
My OH wants and a blood hound or whatever they are called lol

arent they them funny looking ones with droopy faces? they look sooo weird but well cute as puppies, like that one from disneys fox and the hound???

i think fox hounds are cute, but dunno if there suitable for pets, there working dogs.

we are looking at getting another little dog, but for now we got alana a rabbit, its sooo cute only 9 weeks old

bunny005.jpg

Oh has had his heart set on a boxer for years, he's always had dogs before but since living in the UK he's had to live dog free.

We're going to wait till we get the kitchen extension and this LO is at least walking I think before getting a dog. Mainly because this will be baby number 3 and I just won't have the time to run around after a puppy too.

aww, bloxers are cute, but i cant ever see me coping with a drooling dog :( It would do my head in. They are lovely though.

Im desperate for a dog, but it wont be for a couple of years yet, then we're thinking about going to get a rescue dog maybe. Ive always wanted a puppy, but they check that the dogs not a danger and do behavioral (sp?) tests and that, so i dont mind getting an older dog. It would probably be a bit calmer than a pup too. I dunno. I just want a doggie :cry:

Hi,
I have 3 dogs, but they all live outside so, not a big deal. I have two bitches and one dog. They are English Bull Terriers, very stupid and very stubborn.

The dog was a rescus and the bitches, I bought from a friend to breed, they are excellent with children, no reports of these dogs attacking children. There looks are very menacing though !!

I have previously owned Boxers, excellent dogs but prone to heart problems and cancers. They do drool, but a good allrounder dog, can be a little hyper and highly strung, they never grow up !! :wall:

Dogs are a very big commitment though, both my hubby and I spend a lot of time with the dogs exercising them, and caring for them, even to the point were we have a treadmill for them lol.

If I had my time again, I wouldnt have any, too much of aheadache when going on hols etc, they can be a little restrictive. But, I live in the world that we set them on, so we are committed to them. :clap:

We had a gorgeous Bullmastiff but we had to sell him just before Aimee was born cos he was just too big and clumsy for me to feel comfy with him to be in house with baby. He was fantastic with kids though, so soft.
I would like to get another dog when Nathans 2-3 but not sure what breed. OH wants a rottweiler but I DON'T ! I wouldn't mind a douge de bordeaux or boxer.

used to have a Cocker Spaniel when i was younger. when my and OH get a house we are going to get a PUG i absolutely adore those dogs!!! :D

I have a black lab, who is gorgeous!!!!!
My mum got her about 10 years ago from a rescue centre. She was so mistreated by her original onwers. She was rescued with her brother, who died soon after. They were left outside, starved, beaten, cigarettes put out on them :twisted: :twisted: We had to visit her at the centre for 6 months, taking her out and gaining her trust before we could take her home. For years she was a timid, scared little thing........to see her now you would never believe it. Shes happy and friendly, so sweet :D
When I moved out about 8 years ago (for the 2nd time!) I took her with me as my mum worked nights and it wasn't fair to leave her. So shes been soley my dog (and OHs) for about 8 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back