dogs and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by SCARED MUM TO BE, Sep 15, 2005.

1. SCARED MUM TO BE

SCARED MUM TO BE Well-Known Member

hi all i have just moved into a new house and my fella works away alot and i get really lonely at night, i was wondering am i mad to get a dog now and risk the dog getting jealous or would it be ok, i was going to get a golden retriever as i hear they are the best dogs for children really confused. can any of you help me pleeeeessseeeee.

2. Layla

Layla Well-Known Member

Hi, im thinking the same at the mo,

not for the nights, but more for the days, im so bored and lonely on my own while OH is at work, so having a dog around will give me company and something to do coz i will have to walk it twice a day.

Plus i was thinking the daily walks would help me lose weight after teh babys born.

we are thinking about it very carefuly but not made up our minds yet, will be intresting to see what people think in this thread

xx

3. Sarah&Braydon

Sarah&Braydon Well-Known Member

i got a king cavalier charles in october of last year and fell pg in december i was worried about how she will cope with bubba when he/she comes along so i took adive from the training school - sounds stupid this but i have tried it and will hopefully be able to tell you in a week how it worked, but they sed if you get like a doll or something and treat it like ur baby the dog will reallise that the baby is important to you and should be able to cope when the reall thing gets here

4. SCARED MUM TO BE

SCARED MUM TO BE Well-Known Member

that is a really good idea a friend of mine also said if you get a blanket for the baby when its born send it home to your dog so that it is familiar with the smells of the baby i thought that was good too

5. Jadie

Jadie Well-Known Member

I also want a dog now i will be at home. I dont think it wil happen! i dont want to push my luck now that oh gave in and let us have a baby!!

Although I usally get want I want in the end..............

6. Rooander

Rooander Well-Known Member

Well girls, we have a golden retriever and I have to say he adores children. Our son is 8yrs old and you can imagine the jumping fighting and running around that they do, well Alfie(the dog) just loves it. My friend has a baby of 9 months and Alfie is soooooooo gentle with her, he lays down to be at her level and just sits there while she pulls his ears, hair, mouth etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is Alfie when he was a pup at christmas and as he is now at 2 yrs old.
    Hes fantastic company during the day, follows me everywhere and when im lying on the sofa he comes over and puts his head on my tummy. Its weird its like he knows something is in there.
    Id say its the best thing to have a doggy, great company and totally mans best friend.

7. kellie80

kellie80 Well-Known Member

I think its a great idea getting a dog! I wouldn't be without mine now. We have a Bullmastiff and he is a very BIG dog but he is so pretective(sp) and gentle with our 5 year old and when we've have had babys round here he is so gentle with them, he is really rough with adults! Freindly but rough! I think most dogs instinctivly know they have to be careful. just be prepared for all the dog hairs though they get everywhere, thats the only thing thats worring me about when the babys here.

8. tina78

tina78 Member

Hiya, im in a similar situation, i had a puppy in march and have just found out that im pregnant myself. The dog is hypo but im kinda taking the attitude that by the time the baby's due she'll have calmed down (hopefully). I think that if you're thinking about it then go for it, but perhaps go for one from a dogs home, as the staff there are more likely to know the temperament of the dog and which dogs would be best suited to a family environment. So yeah go for it, im sure it'll be fine xxx :D

9. melanieyeah

melanieyeah Well-Known Member

Hi hun, im not p/g but I do have 2 dogs and wonder whats going to happen when i fiannly have a bub of my own. To make things worse they are both border collies, and full to the brim with beans, they are so energetic! It worries me, but I guess i gota cross that bridge when I come to it. But I can't tell you how great they are, especially when d/f is at work at 6am, its creepy and lonely but having my dogs there makes me feel safe and warm(my puppy sleeps with me) haha!
    heres a pic of my pup when i first got him
    [​IMG]
    and here he is now
    [​IMG]

10. bella_t

bella_t Member

Just a word of warning!
    I have a lovely 1year black labrador who I adore, and she keeps me company when my hubby is away...BUT... remember that dogs need walking even when you are sooo tired/ it is raining/ freezing cold - there have been days (I am 29 weeks pg) when I really have thought i don't want to do anything except rest, and i really could do without having to walk her!
    I wouldn't be without her now, but sometimes i wish she could walk herself!
    HTH

11. petchy

petchy Well-Known Member

i have a cat, and he is great at keeping me company when OH works nights! doesn't require walking either, just food and cuddles! :)

12. Hypnorm

Hypnorm Well-Known Member

i would be careful as people have said - once you have a baby you have VERY little time for your self, let alone a dog, i have a pet rat and have had hardly any time to givehim attention. a puppy requires training just think you could end up with a dominant agressive dog or an untrained night mare! nice idea for a warm buddy... but they can get jelous.. Never leave a dog alone with a child...
    I work as a veterinary nurse and have seen so many dogs abandoned because the mum just doesn't have time to look after it, or it has become completely unrully due to lack of training... one i know of became so agressive it had to be Put down.. the mum had bought it before she was pregnant so it could grow up with baby.. but had been stuck in the house alot and the pup was frghtened of EVERYTHING.. it had no training or socailisation..
    becareful

13. lisa31

lisa31 Well-Known Member

Lol Bella T - I wish my dog would walk herself too - especially these nights like tonight where its freezing outside and you have a lovely fire going, and you have to get up to go round the park!

I am a bit concerned of how mine will be - she's a little terrier (georgous) and we got her from a rescue centre 3 years ago. She had already been to 3 homes before we took her on and they all sent her packing because she is very attention seeking - but we feel in love with her and eventually the animal sanctury agreed to us having her because we had no children.

3 years on and I am Pg, and I do wonder how she'll cope - we are going to ensure that she still gets her evening cuddles and she can still sleep on our bed - im not going to kick her out into the kitchen at nights because I think she would resent the baby for that. I suppose its a case of waiting and seeing - but im not overly worried. We will have to have a daily session of cuddles - the babes, the D/H and the dog so no one feels left out! lol

14. cab'o'holic

cab'o'holic Well-Known Member

When I was having my sonwho is 5 now my dog was realy good she just new and was great when he arived, but i lost her about a year after from a bad heart, but my partners mum breeds caveliers and one was born the same time as my son so we had to have her and she has been his best freind, so I have no concerns with this one.

15. lauramumof2

lauramumof2 Well-Known Member

my cat just buggers off at night. Its to be found in another room, maybe on my clean washing pile but on my knee, no chance. Oh he comes through when he is hungry then rubs my legs. Im still talking about the cat btw, not dh.

I wouldnt get a pet just now because if its not the friendly companion you hoped for then you and the pet could be in for some heartache. Also, baby might have allergies or something.

16. Miracle babe

Miracle babe Well-Known Member

I have a mongrel called Hengist Pod, to be honest have never had a pedigree (too posh for me lol) but he was amazing when I was pg with my daughter, very protective and he'd lie next to me with his head on the bump and jut let her kick him. She is now 6 and while there has been a lot of tail and ear pulling over the years he's totally devoted to her. Whats daft is he's totally ignored the bump this time, wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that its a boy 8)

17. cab'o'holic

cab'o'holic Well-Known Member

My mum had a mungral when I was pg with my 5year old son and she was the same but no one could hoover near me she use to throw the hoover away and when he was born she was devoted to him and so protective, but she is gone now bless her

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Well-Known Member

I have 2 dogs lennox a staffi 5 years (we have had him from 6 weeks) and Rollie Mo a collie x 3years (a rescue we've had from 5 months). My dogs are crazy. 1 dog on his own is so well behaved, but together they are (lovely) lunatics. I'm already preparing myself to have to part with them or at least one of them. So anyone considering getting a dog for company think twice then three times.

My dogs have never had the run of the house, only the down stairs and a lovely back garden (with a shed for them) but i'm still worried that wen my baby comes in Dec, I'm not going to cope with the space issue. Once the baby toys cover the floor, the dogs want to lay in front of the fire. Along with the dogs beds and toys. Then wen the baby is crawling and walking. Its going to be a real nightmare. Although my O/H keeps telling me we will cope!

Please everyone dont get a dog if you have to make big comprimises in its care the animal wont thank you for it! If your lonely chat on pregnancy forum till the baby comes then you will have all the company and more.

19. littlemoo

littlemoo Well-Known Member

hi, i know exactly how you feel. i did the same thing, i went out and got a dog not too long ago. its best thing ever. he looks after me and protects me all the time too. like the other week i had a fall, and he dint leave my side and barked costantly till i got up and my friend nextdoor came round to see if i was ok. its as if they know your are pregnant. when i got max i got a younger dog...(not a puppy though cz its would have been too hard to look after both babies)... so that he is still young enough to grow up and bond with the baby so hopefully he will take care of baby like he does me.

All the best to everyone xx