dog walking question

keli

Reaction score
:wave:

I've got a 3nhalf yr old lab she weights about 32 kgs so shes
quiet large.. love taking her for a walk but she does pull a bit and
when she sees cats she goes WILD which we do on the way to the big
field where i let her off lead. Was just wondering if this will be ok?
Could her pulling cause baby any harm? Got mild period pains at
mo and worrying it could be more than stretching pains :roll: xx

Last edited:
I would definately get some dog training organised or someone else to walk her - the last thing you need as your balance starts to go is a massive lab pulling you onto your face!!

a dog pulling is bad for them and bad for you - as well as proper annoying :wall: it takes time for them to get out of bad habits but it can be done

my lab is a big guy also and my 3 year old niece can hold his lead - he has never been allowed to pull and never will be - he's too big and too strong to be allowed his own way, which is lucky as I can still take him out quite happily now bump is getting bigger and I am getting slower :oops:

Good luck with her, walking is such good exercise when your pg and cant be arsed it would be a shame to loose the chance to take her out yourself

This post is really hits home for me - you see I have six dogs - all of different stages of training. I am still walking them at the moment but I am hoping when I get bigger that DH will take over walking the 'difficult ones' :lol:

It's the time after bubes has arrived that I'm worried about :rotfl:

Have you tried using a body harness or halti lead (goes over the muzle and round the back of the neck a bit like a halter on a horse)?

My collie was a puller and although I've managed to train her not to pull most of the time I still get yanked about if she sees another dog/ rabbit or some other animal that needs chasing! Using one of the harnesses suggested above will give you alot more control over your dog and it won't hurt when they pull you and will be much less of a strain on your arms and reduce the risk of being pulled over on to bump :D.

I used a body harness on my dog while I was pregnant as I wanted to keep on walking for the exercise and thought it was great.

I have an easy walk harness for my dog its controlled from the front so you have loads more control if they pull you can just kind of turn them in it so they kind of go in a circle my dog pulls awful on a collar but knows theres no point in his harness, being pulled around is no good for anyone especially when your pregnant! Is well worth the money I couldnt be without mine!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Easy-walk-dog-har ... dZViewItem

thanks for your replies ladies :hug: some good ideas there.. think will try a harness, she is a good girl but just when she sees other animals she wants to play :roll:
my OH when found out i was pregnant wanted me to get rid of es(my dog) because of all the dog hair thinking it not clean for new baby know wil have to change a few things especially when born but could never get rid of her i love her soo much and know when things have settled down she will be very protective over the LO :)

Im glad you want to keep your dog, if you want to make changes when baby arrives such as putting baby gates up and keeping your dog out of certain areas of the house its best to do these now so your dog is used to these changes before baby arrives and doesnt associate changes with baby, it will also give you plenty of time to iron out any problems that may arrise as a result of changing your dogs routine before baby comes along. I dont know about your dog but mines young and abit mischievious if I got pregnant I think I would invest in some lessons or a behaviourist to show me any problem areas and work on them, and give me advise on getting dog ready for a new baby in the home I think its best to sort any possible problems before they arrise which will hopefully prevent any issues at the worst possible time i.e. just after babies birth when wont have as much time or energy to deal with them!

Im sorry to go on its just that my sister has just had a baby and is having real problems with one of her dogs since the babies birth and is thinking of rehoming her which is sad for them and her but might have been avoided if they had forseen these problems and worked on them when they had the time and inclination to do so!
Good luck with rest of your pregnancy and with your dog :hug:

ps when buying a harness a harness designed to stop pulling i.e. easy walker will help pulling problem a standard harness gives the dog more body weight to pull against and will make pulling worse and more dangerous for you as you could be pulled over

Thank you for your advice penstraze didn't really think about when to make the changes think will have to put baby gate up just for the early months you have made me think and def wil be doing it well before baby arrives :) thanks again :hug:

Hi, I have 2 dogs, one of who's a real puller and we got a "halti", it's worked miracles, I'd really reccomend getting one!

I have another dog realated question for all you dog owners...bit of a gross one I'm afraid! I've been "scooping the poop" :oops: still when I walk my boys, my friend totally freaked out when I told her. I know you're meant to be careful with cat litter trays, but as long as I'm having no contact with the 2mess" (ie having a baggie over my hand etc) and washing my hands when I get in, this should be fine right?

Your very welcome! I have a friend who's a qualified and kennel club approved trainer she is very nice so if you ever need some advice PM your email address and I will pass it on to her im sure she'd be happy to give advice or recomend a trainer as she knows alot of people in the buisness! :hug:

Our dog is a puller too, he's terrible but a harness works better than just lead and collar. Just be careful when walking him/her as your ligaments are all softening :)

ellapeptic said:
Hi, I have 2 dogs, one of who's a real puller and we got a "halti", it's worked miracles, I'd really reccomend getting one!

I have another dog realated question for all you dog owners...bit of a gross one I'm afraid! I've been "scooping the poop" :oops: still when I walk my boys, my friend totally freaked out when I told her. I know you're meant to be careful with cat litter trays, but as long as I'm having no contact with the 2mess" (ie having a baggie over my hand etc) and washing my hands when I get in, this should be fine right?

So far as I know this is fine as you say cat poop is the main problem although as you get bigger this may get more difficult! A long handled poop scooper may help as you get bigger and find it harder to bend down or do what my sis did and tell you OH that your not allowed to pick up dog poop :fib: and make him do it! :lol:

My collie also pulls despite having a halti, she's managed to learn a technique to take it off too :shock: Although she's only 17kg she's already too much for me to manage so it's down to Sean to walk her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back