Dog problem aarrrrggghhhh

cosmicgirl

Reaction score
I have a very very small 2 year old chihuahua and have recently acquired a lovely 7 month old Basset hound after my beloved yorkie died last month.
The Basset is fab with the kids, house trained, great on his lead and lovely company.
He jumps up a lot when people are eating their food and tries to steal food constantly - problem 1.
Problem 2 - I had a dog trainer come to introduce the two dogs properly, he said i'd have no problem once he left.
The basset constantly follows the chihuahua, wanting to play, chase her, lick her etc.
The chihuahua doesn't want this, growls at him and snaps at him constantly.
If the chihuahua is sitting on the couch the Basset will constantly jump up with front feet and annoys her.
I'm constantly pulling him back down saying no but he isn't getting the message and I can't stand the constant growling from the chihuahua.
HELP!!!!! x

Can you provide a hiding place for your older dog so she can escape the "crazy" puppy? Like a crate or sth similar?
I suppose not all adult dogs are tolerant with puppies playful attitude that seems to be going and going and going...
I am not so sure that telling the puppy off will ever work but maybe if you try to distract it every time that does that?

About food I don't really know what to suggest my puppy couldn't care less for my food or her food maybe if every time it does that you tell it off and remove it from the room? 5 min later you go get it and if it does the same you remove it again?

I think the previous owners fed him a lot from their plate maybe?? I will try that.
The chihuahua can get away, we have a baby gate up that only she can fit through, she knows he can't fit through it but she chooses to not go away from him if that makes sense! x

Silly puppy lol :love:
I am so glad you got a new puppy :)

I never fed the puppy anything from our plates or while we are eating :roll: she usually gets under the kitchen table and takes a nap while we are eating.
If sth smells particularly yummy to get she will come out to look at her bowl maybe sth nom nom nom appeared there loool!

It's just sooo annoying with the constant jumping up and trying to steal food, good job he's adorable ;)
I think the chihuahua just enjoys showing her dominance over him - small dog syndrome!
He is lovely company and eases the heartache, just a little x

I was going to say the same, i think she is asserting her dominance towards him, he is new and she needs to show him whose boss, lol. I had the same thing with my dog (also small dog) when I got my latest dog, she was 3 when he came along and she was not pleased. She still puts him in his place now, I would say that as long as there is no chance that they will hurt eachother then maybe let them get on with it, let her show that she is the dominant one and then he may learn. I was given this advice by someone that loves and looks after many dogs, she said thats what would happen in a pack so let them learn naturally (as long as one won't hurt the other of course). I know the growling is annoying though. It might be reassuring to know that my dogs love eachother now and are a right pair, they have to run next to eachother at the park and sleep all cuddled up. My dogs also try and get food and used to jump up but we ignore them, no attention at all and now they just sit there xx

I agree, it's essential that she is dominant because she is soooo small and he's a big lump! I'll try and let them get on with it. She's very feisty :)
I try to ignore him jumping up but he's so heavy he knocks the food out of your hand! He also jumps up when you have food in your hand so we turn our back on him.
I'm hoping he settles soon, we have only had him just over one week.
It's so nice to have someone to walk with, the chihuahua can't be bothered and can't walk far. I missed walking when I lost my special friend xx

I agree, it's essential that she is dominant because she is soooo small and he's a big lump! I'll try and let them get on with it. She's very feisty :)
I try to ignore him jumping up but he's so heavy he knocks the food out of your hand! He also jumps up when you have food in your hand so we turn our back on him.
I'm hoping he settles soon, we have only had him just over one week.
It's so nice to have someone to walk with, the chihuahua can't be bothered and can't walk far. I missed walking when I lost my special friend xx

Same with mine, she is tiny and so fiesty the other dog is medium size but a soppy lump.
Yeah it must be hard to ignore when they are big dogs and heavy, ours only reach our knees when they jump up lol.
Its very early days then, I am sure he will settle and that they will love eachother soon :)
I am so sorry you lost your yorkie, I know how heartbreaking it is, people who don't have pets don't get it-its a real grieving process x

I still get upset about her every day, I don't know if that's normal but I miss her so so much.
I have a photo of her on my desk at work and I love looking at it.
I have her ashes next to my bed and give her a kiss every night before I go to sleep and when I wake up. My oh thinks it's strange but I don't care, my heart aches for her.
The new dog is keeping me busy though and he gives me the company I yearn for of a night. The chihuahua just beggars off to bed at night time and that's when I'd sit with my yorkie watching tv and cuddling xxx

I think its completely normal and natural, you had her for a long time and they become part of the family:hugs:xx

Last edited:
Thanks hun, I know other doggy mums will understand xx

We use a dog gate, if the puppy is inappropriate around food whilst we are eating, or causing problems, we just silently put him out of the room and shut the dog gate. He can see, but he can't participate. He kicked up all hell the first time, we ignored him and waited till he was quiet before letting him back in. The second and third times were minimal fuss, now he's fine and we rarely have to put him out. Our pup is now coming up 12 months old.

oh cos i LOVE bassets please let me see a piccy!

MIL has 2 and her recent one she had from a pup and he was MENTAL they get big too and they have such fat paws!

for a start she had him neutered, then had to split walking time to just nelson alone ( which i see you will do anyways as the little one doesnt go far....i tell you bassets run like a bloody whippet! they are so funy to watch with their ears all flapping about and getting stuck in their mouths ) and she clicker trained him for treats. Now when he gets too much and jumps all over you and drools everywhere she just presses the clicker and says ''treats!!'' and he goes straight to her lol!

she had an older dog when she got nelson and he didnt like the pup one bit! very growly and teeth baring but never went for him properly, eventually it settled but i think it took about 6 months!

i assume its different though as you have a little teeny chihuahua, the bassett will get much bigger than him so maybe just be very firm and persistant in boundarys between him and the little one, you may have to step in to protect him bassetts are fattys and long and heavy so he would have the advantage lol!

i have totally rambled but i love the breed so much its my first pick of dog!

im sure he will settle in, it just takes time thats all and patience....you surely have the patience of a saint with your brood!

let me find a piccy of nelson for you!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345057238.476417.jpg

Here he is, lovely Bertie :love:

Thanks for the tips lynette xx

I am so sorry mummy, I will never do it again lol...
I know that expression very well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back