Does not like Moses basket at all

Lulabell

Reaction score
As soon as I lay Joshua down in his Moses basket he cries and won't stop until I pick him up. I know he is only 2 days old buti really want to get him used to sleeping in the basket. Any tips? Ive got a top in there that obviously smells of me. But I don't know what else to do. Is swaddling ok to do so early on?xx

Last edited:
Hi hun, first of all congratulations on little Joshua :)
Phoebe didn't like the moses basket at first either, I think for the first couple of weeks they're just a bit scared. It's a big transition from safe warm mummy to the big bad world.
Swaddling is great from this age, they say not to do it after the first month. Swaddling worked great for Phoebe at first. Another thing you could try is putting a hot water bottle in there first and then obviously take it out before you put him in there. It will get better but at the moment he just craves warmth and safety :) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Jax hated his Moses basket too! I ended up co sleeping until 2 weeks ago when we moved him to his own room and cot and he has been fantastic. He's really taken the move well and we've had no problems getting him to sleep by himself.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

My mum told me that the first few weeks all Baby's want are mummy cuddles because of being in the big scary world. I let Tyler fall asleep on me then I put him in his basket to wake up in which has got him used to being in his basket.

This was the same with Charlie when he was born hated his crib, so i decided to put him in his pram (it has a carry cot so was lying completely flat) and he slept fine, every couple of days i would re-try him in his crib and eventually he slept in there fine.. obviously not everyone will want to do that, but to me it was just like a moses basket/crib but just with wheels.

My lo was same so after no sleep i decided to try him in his cot and he loved it so slept in his cot in our room from then on, im convinced the matress wasnt firm enough.

Sent ftom my android tablet using tapatalk

I was goin to suggest maybe sitting on a blanket for 10 mins before putting him in there and lay him on the blanket then he has the warmth and smell of you around him!my lo didn't like being laid on a cold mattress!

First night being home and sophie wouldn't go in her crib. She slept with us that night but obviously that's not ideal.

The next day I got out her grow bag and put her in that and held her in my arms for a while first to comfort her and then put her in the Moses basket that we have downstairs. At first she cried but I stayed with her and put my hand on her belly and soothed her whilst she was upset as well as rocking her. It took a while for her to settle but we got there in the end!

That night we put a hot water bottle in her crib upstairs, fed her and held her for a while whilst in her grow bag and she settled really well.

It's hard but worth it in the end. Now Sophie's routine is bottle, burp and then bed. She still has the hot water bottle in before she gets in and we put her mobile on. Sometimes she can take a little longer to settle like she did this morning but it is definitely worth taking the time to settle her in her crib. I definitely sleep for it once I manage to get back in bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back