Does everyone have a visit from health visitors at 36/38 weeks?

Ikklemoi

Reaction score
Hey ladies, just curious in my pregnancy notes on the timeline of things it says about health visitors visiting? Do they come out to everyone or just selected ladies? I'm 36 weeks on Tuesday and loads to do before baby arrives at 38weeks by c section? Wunt mind if they come out and give a time etc but from past experiences they just give all day as a time scale. What do they do when they come out before baby is here aswell? X

I never got a visit before my baby arrived. Got a phone call from HV the day after I was discharged from the midwives and given a day and time for her visit.
I'm not sure what they would do prior to baby's arrival but the first visit I had was a lot of paperwork and she weighed him, took his length and head circumference, went through the red book, went over immunisations etc and just generally chatted about what to expect x

I had a call from a health visitor to arrange a visit before baby ws born but she rang the day of my induction haha! She said it was just to do family history and to find out about pregnancy

Had a call out before my first baby was born, haven't heard anything this time around, but she did come just after we moved house to see my son as he had recently been in hospital with his chest and she wanted to introduce herself

Yeah I've had a letter come through. Someone is coming round a week on Monday for a chat about the services they provide and to have a chat apparently!

I have a visit at 36 weeks too xxx

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Hiya. I think this is more for first time mums. My cousin had her first baby 3 weeks ago and she got a visit around 36 weeks...I live 5 minutes from her house and see the same midwife yet I haven't had a visit or a phone call but this is my second baby. I think it's silly though...just because I already have a child it doesn't mean I know what I'm doing! Lol! Xx

I didn't have a pre baby visit but my sister in Law (different area) did, both first babies. Quite glad I didn't as I didn't like my HV and couldn't wait to be rid of her!! She rang while my daughter was in intensive care and when I told her we wouldn't be home for the appointment she said "oh... well I'll ring back tomorrow" !! I didn't answer lol

It just depends on the area as to when you get visits and if you get one before baby born or not! I guess it means there's lots of support where you are, so I'd try to take it as a positive :) I've heard that if they visit before, they basically just ask if you've got any questions or concerns and give you lots of leaflets about local support groups and feeding etc. I haven't heard anything from any health visitors yet xx

Last edited:
I had a pre - birth visit with my second baby, not with my first but she said it's a new thing they have just introduced in the past year or two. The HV was lovely and said it was just to introduce themselves so they're a familiar face when baby's here. My own personal opinion is it's to get a good nosey at your house and identify people with potential problems early on as they do ask quite a few questions and fill in a questionnaire (well they do in my area anyway ). But it was nice to put a face to a name before baby arrived. My appt was 36 weeks but I phoned and asked them to come at 38 weeks when I was on maternity leave so would be at home xx

I had a letter yesterday about and she wants to come to the house to talk about the baby and it's my second so thought it was a bit strange

Last edited:
I had a letter yesterday about and she wants to come to the house to talk about the baby and it's my second so thought it was a bit strange

Don't take it personally, it'll just be a thing they're rolled out in your area. It's hard to not feel like you're on a watch list or something when you get a letter like that though lol xx

Never known the health visitor to come out / contact you before baby arrives.
?? Maybe has something to do with Baby being born by c section ?? Ask the midwife maybe she will know why. Can't be a bad thing though to have everything in place :)

If I remember back 10.5 years when my last child was born , I'm sure it was about a week or 2 before I even seen a health visitor and that was to keep an eye on baby weight and growth/ health . .
Due my 2nd next week and things have probably changed a lot !

In my area they only do a pre birth visit if the midwife has highlighted a concern. This could be anything from a health issue with mum or baby to safeguarding issues. However I do know that other areas offer them to all women. It really depends on where you live.

You are entitled to know if this visit is due to a concern. So I would just ask the HV.

I wouldn't worry too much though. Like I said, some areas offer it to all women xx

I had a health visitor come around at 38 weeks with my first pregnancy and just to meet and greet, get to know me, explain the services and any questions I might want to ask.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mine was marked in my notes when I first got given them in the appt list so think it is standard here.
It does make me worried about am I being assessed etc lol. Xx

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I never got a visit until baby was born. Someone told me "they come to check your house is safe" but I don't know if this is true. And I'm glad she didn't as we didn't have a banister on the landing :lol: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back