Does big bump mean big baby?

amygates88

Reaction score
As above really! I have a really big baby bump all front and I'm only 32 weeks. Everyone keeps saying I'm either having twins (which I'm not!!) or a huge giant baby. Needless to say I'm now terrified. I'm only measuring one week ahead. This is my first so dunno what to believe! X

I'm the same hun, measuring 2 weeks ahead and sick of the 'omg you are huge' comments ha..

I have a doctor friend who has reassured me that bumps come in all different sizes and sometimes women with huge bumps are all water and baby can actually be pretty small... and vice versa small bumps can actually have very squished big babies in them.

Try not to worry about it too much.... I'll be happy if my man isn't huge and doesnt hurt as much coming out... but I also kinda want a big chunky boy haha xxx

Ive always been 2/3weeks ahead like ruth..

But ive had scans that have confirmed he is a lil chunk! long and chunky lol!
We shall soon see how correct the scans were tho when hes out in the next few days! xx

I'm measuring about a week ahead too. I think it is quite common and I don't think it means you will have a big baby, not necessarily, because they are measuring you and the fluid etc. They said that when/if you have a growth scan it will usually show baby is shower than they estimated by measuring your bump.

I get lots of 'wow you are massive' comments and they really annoy me. I think a lot of people are just really ignorant!

first pregnancy i was small and fairly average...had an 8pound 15 baby. second pregnancy i was huge!!!! like u would have thought there was more than 2 in there but nope just one 7 pound 15 baby. and this one i am big but not as big as last time and at my 36 week scan she was looking about 5 pound 9. so i would say it does not matter the size of the bump!! it all depends on tummy muscles, baby position, amniotic fluid etc... xxx

oh and this time im measuring 4-5weeks ahead but growth scan shows baby is totally average size x

See my scans shown he was even bigger than my bump sizes! lol.. 36wk scan he was 7lb 5 apprently! and his measurments came out as 38 and 39+6 at 36wks :shock:

Got measured the other day and bump was 42cm at 40wks.. Im 6ft and so is OH so im expecting a fairy sized baba anyway.
But id would be interesting to see how wrong or right they are!
cos they were almost 2lb out on my friends baby last year! xx

he's got extra cooking time too... chunky monkey!! :) hehe

god i no! tell me about it.. im currently laying is a stupid position cos his bums digging in my ribs!! xx

Nope., ,no pattern. I had a fairly neat bump. Measuring 2 weeksunder at full term and popped out a 9lb 3oz baby.

I measured 32 weeks at my 28 week appt. A scan did show baby was big, but not anywhere near as big as the bump measurement suggested! I've also been told there is a lot of fluid as well. A friend of mine had such a neat bump that she was worried her baby wasn't growing properly. He was just under 9lbs when he came out! I've had the 'twins' comment since I was 6 weeks when people first started to notice my tummy.

Nope. You could have a 9lber with a small bump or a 6lber with a big bump. :) xx

I agree with the others - don't think it makes a difference! People keep telling me I have a big bump and I measure a week ahead at every appointment but I really don't think my bump is as big as people say... One midwife who was standing in had a good feel and then gasped saying 'wow this is a big baby'!! But I'm not convinced! Only one week five days to go and I can't balance a cup or plate on my bump like I see others do lol and if I'm lying down with a baggy ish top on and suck in I don't look pregnant - just like I have a podgy belly lol. Suppose only time will tell!! Xx

in a word, no

bump size is more due to position and fluid amount than baby really, i measuerd spot on my dates last time and my lg was 10lb 14oz when she arrived, id measured big on the tape once, that was all

this time im happily in the upper part of the 2cm allowance at 27 weeks i was 29cm, will see what i measure now tomorrow at my next mw app, measurements can be really off, they totally depend on who is doing the measuring and are horribly inaccurate most of the time too so bump size is even less accurate as they dont measure your actual bump but the from the bottom to the topof where your uterus has grown to

I don't think it does no, like others have said really. I had a friend who put 5.5 stone on while pregnant and her belly was huge and she had a lovely 6lb 7 baby. My other friend was lovely and neat all the way through and measured under so had a growth scan etc and popped out a 9lber. You literally have no way of knowing xx

Definitely not! I had comments about a 'big' bump from family members (I thought it was small) and had an 8lb baby who looks tinyyy. I had a lot of waters apparently so it'll depend on that too but no, not necessarily x

The comments are really getting to me. I'm measuring at exactly where I'm supposed to be and used this last week when I got yet another comment. I think it's cos in really short?

"Are you sure you're not having twins?"
"You look like you're going to pop anytime!"
"Oh I wish I could've been that big."

I never knew what pregnant women had to go through. A bump does not mean people should be able to talk about "our weight". So rude and ignorant! I'm angry again now!

I had the same when I was pregnant, everyone saying how massive I was, people going 'are you sure you're not having twins?!' - like, the same person asking me over and over again thinking it was hilarious? Idiots. It doesn't help when you're feeling insecure.

Just know that I was really worried about baby's size (also because I had GD) but she was born 7lb 3oz and sooooo dinky.

A friend has just had her baby - she had an average size bump and had a 10lb little girl.

Just goes to show that (as the other ladies have said) bump size doesn't mean anything! Try not to worry :) it'll all be ok in the end when you've got your little baby! (Whether they're tiny or a nice chunky monkey)

Tapatalking!

I too am getting really fed up with stupid comments, like we really need telling that we r different to their friends when they were pregnant or that they were smaller at our stage etc! Its almost like they want to make themselves feel better by telling us how big we r compared to people. I really dont get it to b honest, i thought it was just me being hormonal but iv read so many other pregnant ladies comments on this subject and it really does get people down! We r going thru enough with our bodies which im sure we are all v happy about the fact that we r growing our little ones so why the hell should it matter how big or small we r as long as everything is fine with the mw then people should just lay off. Haha im all revved up now !!!

Everytime i leave for work in the hair salon i dread my 1st client as that 1 person only has to say 1 thing about how i look and it can set my mood for the day. I even try wearing things to avoid the situation as it goes on all day if i wear anything too snug on the bump.

Dont get me wrong when im not at work i wear the tightest maxi dress going because i adore my baby bump!!! But can ignore comments when not at work and i dont have to reply to them either. Its almost as if my clients need a reason from me why i have a bump!!!! Like there is something wrong with me haha

Have a great day ladies :) xx

Well dont let it get to you. Having a big bump is wonderful. Show it off, enjoy it! Let the comments go in one ear and out the other. Xx

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back