Does baby have to have its Father's surname?

LaineyG

Reaction score
Hi Girls,
I think I know that I can give the baby my surname, but I was wondering if there is any legal way that the Father can force me to give the child his surname?

I'm not married to him, and we are no longer together, I would love for baby to have my family name!

Also, can anyone list pro's and con's for naming the baby with my surname?

Thanks!

xxx

if you're not maried then the baby doesn't have to have a fathers surname. if u are then its something you'll botrh have to talk about.
there is no way he can force yopu to use his surname/

Emily has both mine and my ex's surnames because we were together when we got her registered but then split up the same day :roll:

I am just going to use my surname for her but will have to put both on all legal stuff (if you know what i mean)

You dont have to have the fathers name u can use yours. wheni registered the girls i couldnt put their dad on the certificate as their father without him being their, so i think its something you should talk about and sort out
good luck
x sophie x

If I was in your position, then there is no way my baby would have my ex's surname. It's something I feel strongly about, but I don't know why.

I always said to my DH if I fell pregnant by accident before we were married that the baby would have my surname just because I couldn't bear my child having a different surname from me.

That is my personal oppinion. Hope I have helped in some way. xxx

my son has my sir name and my daughter has both double barrelled (same dad to both dont ask y lol) men

my babys dad split up with me a week b4 i found i was pregnant. He chose alcohol over me.

Anyway especially since finding out babys a boy he has tried to be so involved, which i cant stop him being. But he came out saying he wanted baby to have his last name...i was like no way! Coming from the guy who told me to get rid of my baby! Anyway i know that he wants to carry on his name...blah blah blah, but its your choice, your the babys mummy. There is no law that enforces you to put his surname on the babys name.

Me and my babys dad came to an argreement that baby could have his last name as a middle name and my last name as his last. Your the one who puts this baby through pregnancy, the one who tends to it when it crys, the one who takes it to the doctors when its ill and enrolls it in school ect. Besides, if you were to take his last name and to get married ect to someone else further down the line or ever wanted to change babys last name while it was ur ex's last name, youd have to take it to court. xxxxx

Legally you do not have to give the baby your exs name at all. So its totally upto you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back