Doctor problem

zeni89

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am 5 weeks today and it is my first pregnancy. I am completely clueless to what even not to eat etc, so I expected my doctor to explain me everything, once he had my blood tests front of him confirming I am pregnant. But nothing, he just said to come back in a week (which is today) and make another hcg blood test and then the next week for a scan... I even had to remind him to prescribe me vitamins...
Anyway, I will definitely change the doctor but anyhow I wanted to ask you what all the necessary tests have you taken from the moment you knew you were pregnant? Is 5 weeks to early to worry about rh factor test etc?
Your input will be much appreciated xxx

It depends on the country you're in and you live in Cyprus if I'm correct?
Here in Belgium they confirm a pregnancy between 6 and 8 weeks with an ultrasound, usually a midwife or gynaecologist. Then you have a gynaecologist appointment at 12 weeks who gives you all the information you need, like when to have the boostrix shot, when the glucose test etc.
Do you have a gynaecologist already or contacted a midwife? They can probably give you more information about it.x

In the uk you don’t even see the doctor when you find out you are pregnant, you get refered to the midwives who make an appointment with you to see you before you are 12 weeks and book your 12 week scan, you are assumed to just go and get antenatal vitamins yourself as you can just buy them from the shop, don’t need a doctor to prescribe them, the first screening tests are the trisomy screenings at 12ish weeks, unless there are risk factors like diabetes etc then maybe you see them earlier with additional care, I’m not sure xx

Also no one actually confirms the pregnancy with hcg bloods or even a pregnancy test strip, it’s just assumed if you have put in the midwife referral you are pregnant, the first time it would ever be confirmed in any scientific way is at the 12 week scan, unless you’ve gone to the doctors or early pregnancy unit yourself with any concerns or complications x

Thanks ladies, you calmed me down a little! I thought I was not referred to any important tests and was worried.. I can relax now and just wait for my scan :)

Also no one actually confirms the pregnancy with hcg bloods or even a pregnancy test strip, it’s just assumed if you have put in the midwife referral you are pregnant, the first time it would ever be confirmed in any scientific way is at the 12 week scan, unless you’ve gone to the doctors or early pregnancy unit yourself with any concerns or complications x
When you book in with the midwife (normally at the hospital) you tend to have blood tests. Not sure if they do HCG as part of that or not.

When you book in with the midwife (normally at the hospital) you tend to have blood tests. Not sure if they do HCG as part of that or not.

those first blood tests are to screen for hiv and hepatitis and something else which I can’t remember, doesn’t include hcg which is crazy really x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back