Docs appt - ttc no 2

Melanie3103

Reaction score
I posted this in secondary infertility too...

Hi all,

Had a GP appt this morning and am shellshocked!

As I am 40 in March and have had one child (hes 22m old) - they werent interested!

What a waste of time!!! They wont even test for anything wrong! As theres no point as they wont 'treat me' if find anything!! NHS fertility treatment is saved for those under 40 who have NO children at all.

Shocked! So upset... Been trying to conceive no 2 since January 2015... So just over a year and nothing is happening. I pee on OPK and think I ovulate every cycle but cant be sure of course.

Do u all chart/temp?? At a loss as what to do next...
X

I am 36 and TTC #2 and I went to my Dr, with absolutely no intention of requesting a referral for fertility treatment - it was purely a fact finding mission to establish what was going on with my hormones and then Dr offered a sperm analysis for DH... so nice of them to assume you would definitely want to be 'treated'!

Obviously I had no issue getting this because I'm under 40, but if I were you I would be getting a 2nd opinion but making it clear I just want an MOT and am not looking for treatment... at least that way you stand a chance of working out what you can do yourself to improve your chances. Hubby should definitely be eligible for sperm analysis too, I can't imagine they have a cut off for men at 40!?

I also paid for a private scan to establish that I was ovulating... which was really helpful!

Last edited:
How awful. I would ask to see someone else. They won't treat you but they should at least do hormone profile bloods, day 21 bloods and SA. If they absolutely won't do them then you can have blood tests done privately. I do think though that if you push, they will do them through NHS. I would check NICE guidelines to see if they have a cut off age on there. If they don't, argue their decision. Hope you get it sorted xx

Unfortunately the NHS is run according to health economics and is not based on individual need - it can be very unfair sometimes.

But this just means that you need to push for the blood tests that lisey mentioned - not with a view to fertility treatment (which as the Dr said you wouldn't be eligible for) but as an insight into the workings of your body. They offer these to women not TTC to check for thyroid issues or perimenopause etc, so I really can't see why they couldn't justify giving them to you. You just need to see another Dr and go armed with good reasons that you should get them.

Hubby definitely should get SA st age 30... so deffo worth ticking that one off the list.

Blimey I'm so sorry to read this Melanie, I'm in the UK and I have an appointment on the 14th of this month, I'm 43 so there's probably no hope for me either but I'll let you know what my gp says. Our health service is shocking it really is x

Last edited:
I'm sorry you didn't get the outcome you wanted. I would have thought you would be able to get tests done, although I know treatment would not be offered on the NHS as you have a living child. I'm not sure how much private testing is, maybe that is something you can investigate (with the bonus of being no waiting).

I do have to disagree with some and say that I think our health care is excellent, for free. I agree there are loads of areas that could do with improvement as it is difficult to offer the same level of care and service to everyone but it is all free. I think we should be very grateful for it as I can see in our life time that this might change and there be no such thing as free health care. We have fertility issues and although we have been really frustrated and angry at some of our treatment and the time scales we are still very grateful for the chance we are being given to have a child of our own.

My GP referred me at 40. Had lots of blood taken then once I had turned 41 they gave me 6 months of clomid to increase the chances of pregnancy. It didn't work and I then asked for an HSG to check my tubes which they did. I fell pregnant 2 cycles later at 42.
I would speak to another GP as all your asking for at this stage is some basic investigations to see if there is a reason why you're not conceiving. I don think it's unreasonable to have these tests on the NHS so that you can pursue private fertility treatment if needed without the added costs of investigations.

That's terrible. I'm 28, with a DS. I went to the doctors with long cycles and not thinking I was ovulating. They done bloods then and there! Got results within a week. Each doctor is different though, but it's a shame they couldn't do anything! X

It might be worth sending him to the doctors and seeing if they will test him - just because your 40 doesn't mess mean it's you! ��

My GP referred me at 40. Had lots of blood taken then once I had turned 41 they gave me 6 months of clomid to increase the chances of pregnancy. It didn't work and I then asked for an HSG to check my tubes which they did. I fell pregnant 2 cycles later at 42. .

This is such a helpful post scn & just goes to show it can't be a firm guideline and instead is a postcode lottery regarding these tests. Different areas have localised budgets & GPs are under pressure to avoid spending money on things the budget holders see as 'unnecessary'. It doesn't mean they can't offer them full stop though! Knowing this I would be pushing very hard for the blood tests at least Melanie, you just need a more sympathetic GP.

How awful. I would ask to see someone else. They won't treat you but they should at least do hormone profile bloods, day 21 bloods and SA. If they absolutely won't do them then you can have blood tests done privately. I do think though that if you push, they will do them through NHS. I would check NICE guidelines to see if they have a cut off age on there. If they don't, argue their decision. Hope you get it sorted xx

When people say "get a second opinion" - how does that work then ? I make a 2nd appointment at my usual GP practise and when they give me name of GP to see, if same lady ask for another one. just tell them all the same things again, OR I tell them that one GP here said blah blah ???

How does it work ??

Blimey I'm so sorry to read this Melanie, I'm in the UK and I have an appointment on the 14th of this month, I'm 43 so there's probably no hope for me either but I'll let you know what my gp says. Our health service is shocking it really is x

Oh I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to fill you with doom n gloom. I think all GPs are different, so you might get a different story.

Do you have a child, or are you TTC no. 1 ?

That was the other reason apparently - as I have conceived one I am less of a priority as well as my age!

I'm sorry you didn't get the outcome you wanted. I would have thought you would be able to get tests done, although I know treatment would not be offered on the NHS as you have a living child. I'm not sure how much private testing is, maybe that is something you can investigate (with the bonus of being no waiting).

I do have to disagree with some and say that I think our health care is excellent, for free. I agree there are loads of areas that could do with improvement as it is difficult to offer the same level of care and service to everyone but it is all free. I think we should be very grateful for it as I can see in our life time that this might change and there be no such thing as free health care. We have fertility issues and although we have been really frustrated and angry at some of our treatment and the time scales we are still very grateful for the chance we are being given to have a child of our own.

I know you are right - while I feel a little hard done by, I do get it. I really feel for those women who haven't been as lucky as me. I have one healthy amazing child, and the fact I want another is frustrating. We will carry on doing what we are doing. Just would like to know IF there was something wrong.

But our health service IS good, I agree. I have relied on it many times for me, and my nearest and dearest, so would never put it down. Just a bit soul-destroyed at the moment...

x

My GP referred me at 40. Had lots of blood taken then once I had turned 41 they gave me 6 months of clomid to increase the chances of pregnancy. It didn't work and I then asked for an HSG to check my tubes which they did. I fell pregnant 2 cycles later at 42.
I would speak to another GP as all your asking for at this stage is some basic investigations to see if there is a reason why you're not conceiving. I don think it's unreasonable to have these tests on the NHS so that you can pursue private fertility treatment if needed without the added costs of investigations.

Thanks for your positive experience sharing - means a lot. It has only been a year... IF things were all working fine, then I am happy to continue as we are doing. I would just want to know if something was wrong.

Should I just speak with another GP at my usual practice, not sure how it works ? Do I tell them what the other said, or just wait and see what they say ?

Never asked for a second opinion before....

x

Thank you ALL for your posts, support and words of advice. Appreciate you sharing your experiences too. Let's see what the next couple of months bring...

x

Sorry to hear you didn't get anywhere Melanie, it's so hard to have expectation then get nothing. I would go for a second opinion, you aren't 40 yet either! Just ask outright if you could at least get a blood test to ensure you are ovulating etc xx

Melanie, when you phone up for an appointment, just ask if you can see a different doctor to last time. I've done it before and it's no bother. They shouldn't ask you to explain why, as frankly, it's not their business

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back