Do you 'fit in' with other parents?

Me too, though we've got that bug that's going around but by next week I'm sure well be fine... But just not tue 15th.... Seeing a man about a tattoo lol

I can just imagine the guest mummy hitlers seeing my post and fearing for my childs life because of the way I do things :lol: I also use talc...:dance: AND give him chocolate buttons... :oooo:

Last edited:
I can just imagine the guest mummy hitlers seeing my post and fearing for my childs life because of the way I do things :lol: I also use talc...:dance: AND give him chocolate buttons... :oooo:

Ooh you wicked mummy lol x

CHOCOLATE BUTTONS????????????? :shock::shakehead:

Yummy :whistle: Jess had half a chocolate digestive today :whistle:

Glad i'm not the only one, though not glad because it shouldn't be like that. I hate labels too. Unfortunately i'm not the type to keep my mouth shut and although I would never push my parenting style, if someone asks I will be honest. Doesn't make many friends though - I guess people dont like their own ideas to be challenged?

I don't fit in with other parents. I am on the school playground on my own. There is one lady who speaks to me but that's because k went to nursery.with her.boy.
I am also by far the youngest mum. My area is quite stuck up and I find.these.type of parents the.worst.manners they have none. Don't worry about me.and my bump waiting to let you go and of course running my feet over with your buggy is acceptable.
I have brought a sling to wear for the school runs. Not one mum were her child and there is lots of newborns. A few Mums say hello but when they Re with friends or a.group of Mums I don't get looked at twice.

I feel they're judging me by age and if they took the time they would find that I am like them. Just.because I am young doesn't mean I am not capable.

Sorry that's gone on abit. X x

I'm the same! I can't hold my tongue (not in a cheeky way) but I have to be honest. I can't sit and smile and nod if I think different, I will always give my opinion but I will never preach. Any woman that thinks parenting is a competition needs to take a step back and have a look at the big picture. A happy healthy child is all that matters :) not who does what, and what way they do it.. I would be friends with anyone, but I couldn't listen or even try to get along with someone in a "category" x

I'm the same! I can't hold my tongue (not in a cheeky way) but I have to be honest. I can't sit and smile and nod if I think different, I will always give my opinion but I will never preach. Any woman that thinks parenting is a competition needs to take a step back and have a look at the big picture. A happy healthy child is all that matters :) not who does what, and what way they do it.. I would be friends with anyone, but I couldn't listen or even try to get along with someone in a "category" x
Completely agree x x

I remember a woman my mummy knew seen me and Odhrán in Sainsburys, she stopped me and was talking away, then came off with the "how are you coping love?" in the most patronizing voice! Like she pitied me, I just said fine, but I wanted to shout "How am I coping??? I'm coping the same as any other mother!" Just because I am young doesn't mean I won't cope as well as others.. Hate the grey cloud surrounding young mothers, if they're so worried about us not coping as well as older mothers (in their view) they should be offering more support rather than looking down on and criticizing us..

And breathe :lol: This is one thing I feel very strongly about, I have always had my opinion but never actually gave it! x

Last edited:
All the mums round here are 'yummy mummies', all trying to outdo each other with the best pushchair, or clothes for baba, or jobs OH has, or car, or where they get their groceries (Waitrose of course dahhhling!) I'm always sat there in my 'scruffs' cos I'm too busy caring for my baby to make sure I could give one of the Orange County wives a run for their money.....grrrrrrr....pisses me right off!!

I honestly think I'd cope a bit better if I was younger - I'd have more energy!

I had my older girls at 17 and 20 so I remember what it was like to be a young mother and have others look down at you, doubt your abilities etc. Now as an 'older' mother at 35 I get a lot more respect and that makes me feel sad for my younger self of the past iykwim?

I am glad I had them young, my eldest is 18 and we have a brilliant relationship now because i'm not quite old and crusty enough to forget what I was like at her age lol

See I can't wait for that, when Odhrán is 21, I will be 40.. It pisses me off about the whole young mum thing, a friend of mine had twins at 18, and another at 18 had 2 babies within the space of 12 months (both v premature and conceived 2nd straightaway) and I have never seen better mothers, the patience they both have is unbelievable.. Yet if I explain to people about them they automatically think they are having a rough time :roll:

I don't really know if I fit in tbh?! I feel a bit of an outcast as I don't go to baby groups although I would like to go but have no idea where to start! I also worry if I will be on my own if I did go as h is 4mths and they will probably have their friends already!

I can't take him swimming on my own bcoz of my ankle (I don't feel confident) and my friends with kids tend to do their own things!

but don't get me wrong I love spending time with him but would love to do more with him!I want to spend as long as I can looking after him!

Sort of. Some ladies at tots have invited me to the local bf group but I don't think they are my sort of people if that makes sense? I'm fine with bf so I don't know why I need to meet up and talk about it :s

I am so glad i found this post!! I haven't given birth yet and already I am getting "input" from people, relatives mainly....even those without children! There is already the breastfeeding/bottlefeeding debate going on as well as the 'if you let the baby sleep on their back they will get a flat head' debate. I am feeling slightly picked on to be honest. I wish they would back off! The self righteousness infuriates me, particularly from those who do not have children! Surely every mother just wants whats best for their child and every mother has their own way of achieveing that. Its nice to be able to seek advice, but for goodness sake, i dont want it rammed down my throat, especially when i dont ask for it! It looks like this will continue into the parenting groups etc, oh well, bring it on! LOL. I will be friendly with anyone but i will not tollearate the competitivness and the judgmental attitudes which I am sure I will experience. I am glad I have found a group of ladies who share the simliar outlooks on this and do not judge. PS. I love the phrase "mummy hitlers", really made me laugh.

It's horrible isn't it?! And it doesn't stop.

That's why I love this place. Were all different but we dont get judged for the different ways that we parent.

You need to start developing those Teflon shoulders of yours love and just let it all slide away, over your head. Ignore ignore ignore!

I've found the less I say the better. Let others talk and talk about what they do and then only comment when asked. Works like a dream! X

My family and ohs family r totally different and I find this so hard to cope with . His mum is very loud and over powering and I'm a very independent person and i find it hard hen she comes over. Like when baby needed changing and putting to bed I asked for him and she was like no il do it!! I was livid! I think she meant well but she never asks she just does. Like decides to stay over. I'm not asked she just stays but we have a 2 bedroom flat and my mums over from abroad and is in our spare room Which means ohs mum sleeping on sofa in front room which is open plan with kitchen. It's too much. I know she means well but my family is so quiet in comparison . My oh has a problem with my mum staying with is ( she lives abroad) she said she will look after lo when I have to start new job in sept free of charge until we don't need her to. Where as ohs mum said she would give up work to look after him BUT we need to cover all her bills etc at 800 quid a month!! Needless to say I've put my foot down and said we can't afford that it's ridiculous - and who passes up free childcare !!?? I can understand living with the mother in law is not way but my mum keep herself to herself like u wouldn't ebb know she was here. An example of ohs mum we went Egypt for a week and she cay/ house sit and I told oh no one to go in our bedroom ( I'm funny about my space and stuff) and we got back and she had moved everything around in every room ad been through our drawers and stuff . I was like omg I specifically said not to touch out room. So basically I can't really cope with her and find her too domineering . I just like my on space sometimes and people to ask me if I like or want or need something rather than imposing themselves on me!! X

I have to say since moving to the uk other then my OH and his mum and sister i dont have a friend in the world. I have tried to to the messy play thing the chatting to parents thing and the helping out at the school thing but nothing seems to work. Im naturally a very friendly person and would do anything for anyone. I just dont get why people are so stand offish Maybe its the fact i have a few tattoos or an accent i really dont know. I dont mind as i keep myself busy and have plenty to do i dont wallow in pity or anything like that if people dont want to chat to me its there loss. I do get lonely at times but i just find something to do. Im really glad i have met some lovely ladies on here. i would be lost without you all xxxxxxxxxx

I think a lot of people seem to be either overly paranoid about new people or so wrapped up in their own problems that they don't notice the rest of the world. Sorry people haven't welcomed you very well up there Amy :hug: Lxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back