Do you believe in miracles? (for DD's homework)

glitzyglamgirl

Reaction score
A funny question, but my daughter has just asked me this question as a survey she is doing for her R.S homework. I said Id ask on here to get her more responses :)

So, do you believe in miracles?

I said yes...as in I believe fantastic things can happen that we can not explain away with our scientific knowledge or knowledge of natural phenomena.

It may be that there is a perfectly logical explaination (and we may discover that as our understanding of science grows) or there may be an omnipotent being who can pull their finger out from time to time and make great things happen....although it begs the question, if he/she can do that, why does he/she allow so much pain and suffering for millions of innocent people?

I have never seen or experienced a 'biblical' style miracle. I have heard stories second hand though...one that sticks is a girl who was terminally ill with leukemia. She went to Lourdes and was convinced she was going to get better. Three months after her trip to Lourdes she was in remission. I don't know if this story actually happened, it was certainly told to me by a very genuine person who seemed to believe it. If it did happen then there could be a perfectly logical explaination (that we yet don't have the knowledge to comprehend) or God intervened and made her well.

I definately do believe in miracles. Some experiences can be explained away, but I believe that now and again a miracle can happen.

I guess it's what you yourself perceive as a miracle too :wink:

Thanks for the votes and replies so far :)

Shes having trouble getting people who DONT believe in miracles, so if anyone reading doesnt could you please comment why? It would be really helpful :D

OH doesn't believe in them. He said he will join up soonish and reply on why he doesn't.

Be prepared for an essay, lol!

i agree, i do believe in miracles as some things cannot be explained away ut i dnt think they happen that often and i dnt associate them with any religion or god. but i do believ in them along with fate and destiny and things happening for a reason.

xxxxx

kazlin said:
OH doesn't believe in them. He said he will join up soonish and reply on why he doesn't.

Be prepared for an essay, lol!

About time he got on here :lol:

I don't believe in miracles in a religious way. I believe that things can happen against all the odds,but I don't think it's some sort of divine intervention,it can usually be explained

I don't believe in miracles because I do not believe there is a greater being or God controlling what we do and what happens to us. I think if there is a greater being, he/she/it could find far better ways of passing time! I think the idea that there is a God and he is watching over us all at all times is very self centred at heart; God should have greater concerns than me.

I think to believe in miracles may necessitate the belief that disaters are also caused by a divine being and that's a bit of a nasty thought - that there's something or someone out there who could decide to slaughter thousands of people and we don't know why!

I'm more of a free will kind of girl - God will let us make our own way and do our own thing because that is what is right. Although I don't think bad things are always that bad - often they allow good things to happen (e.g. you don't get a job you apply for but then an even better one for you turns up and you get it).

I hope no one is offended by my comments. I go to church because I think there is a good message there but I do not believe all of the Christian doctrine.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for all your replies, shes done her homework now and has some very interesting comments for both sides, so thanks for your help :D

Personally I do believe in miracles but I dont believe they are created by an external force, but by our own will, and the most amazing things can happen to the most ordinary people purely because they believe it will. Unfortunately that theory also has to work in reverse - people who believe only bad things ever happen to them generally are pretty unlucky in life.

In my English dictionary this is the definition of miracle....

An extraordinary event attributed to the supernatural; an unusual or astounding event; a remarkable example of something - miraculous, miraculously.

My view is that I would have to witness a miracle to believe they exist. So I voted no for that reason but I have an open mind about it.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back