Do you all drive?

bhe101

Reaction score
Hi all :wave:

I just wondered as I dont and will be relying on public transport when baby is born. I get the bus a lot with my daughter but I dont know if I'l manage on and off with 2 of them.
People arnt very helpful either and I very rarely get offered any help by a member of the public, or the bus drivers!
I would love to learn to drive and get a car by the time baby comes but its pretty much financialy impossible!! Im starting to panic a bit as now im thinking what a struggle its goin to be!

Anyone else in the same boat??

I drive so I don't have that problem plus where I stay is walking distance from the town and anywhere I need to get too

My sister doesn't drive and she stays in the house all the time - how she does that I don't know

I drive and have done for many years now, I don't think I would be able to cope with having to rely on public transport all the time, I love the ability to pop out when ever I feel like it. Plus I need it to get the girls to school and myself to work!!

I dont drive and Im having the same worries as you :(

im hoping to take some lessons in the next few months and pass for baby being born :roll:

i've already had about 25 lessons though, i just don't like it, but know it will be a lot easier to get around with lo :)

the cost of running a car is crazy though, my oh has a car but we would need to get me a seperate one because he uses his every day for work :doh:

meant to say - for anyone whos hoping to pass before lo is here, try 2 hourly lessons a week, may benefit you more and will quicken the process.

also try your local gumtree for a car if you haven't got a lot of money t spend on one from a dealership, just take your OH/dad etc and make sure the cars ok :dance:

I don't drive either. It's the next thing on my list to get sorted out. I had about 10 lessons a few years ago but I don't know how realistic it is to hope to pass by the time the baby is born.

A x

I'm due to start learning to in the next couple of weeks. I was never bothered with it before and lived in London so didn't need to but now we have moved and I really could do with getting it over and done with. I'm booking myself on Automatic lessons, apparently my instructor is calling me tonight to arrange! Have been swatting on the theory, so hope to get that out of the way soon too.

I drive, thankfully, as I live in the middle of nowhere, but I do occasionally get the bus into town (even though it's £5.25 return which is ridiculous :evil: )

Fortunately as I live in the Lune Valley Retirement Zone and my husband and I are the only people under 60 within a 5 mile radius (!) the bus is usually empty or populated by 5 or 6 grannies only so no other buggies.

I suspect I'll drive everywhere when Connie arrives though, it's easier and cheaper bizarrely.

I think I'l maybe sit down with oh tonight and have a look at our finances.
The more I think about it the more I really need/ want the independance of being able to drive. I did have a few lessons about 2 years ago but the instructer was a bit loud and put me right off!!

bhe101, definitely make sure you're comfortable with your instructor. I clashed really badly with one of mine and changed him straight away - and it really does make a huge difference.

Best of luck - I think you're probably doing the right thing xx

I started to learn to drive on my 17th birthday and 6 month later I had passed and I was 3 months pregnant!!! Best thing I ever did, totally agree with debecca as my first instructor was a friend of my dads and didn't really do much with me, I had 20 lessons and he never even took me on a duel carrigeway, I thne burst into tears one a lesson as I was so frustrated, that was the last lesson I had with him!! Sorted a new intructor really qucikly and only had 5 lessons with him and passed first time!!!!

i drive, have done since i was 17 so im lucky

i do live in walking distance from town tho so as my baby will be a summer baby i am hoping to walk a lot more once little one is here

I dont drive yet but im having lessons.
I mainly walk everywhere if i want to go somewhere

I don't drive and I have no intention of. OH can so we could maybe get a car if we decide we need one as he will actually be with LO more in the daytime (I'm going back to work 3 days a week so he will work in the evenings on those days and look after LO during the day as he works from home for an American company) but I don't think we will. We live a 30 min walk from the centre of town. And the bus drivers here are really good - they can lower the bus to make it easier to get a pushchair on :D

I drive but my DH only has a bike license so he will be doing his test before baby comes... don't think they'd let us take baby home in a topbox :rotfl:

I'm lucky in that I did my test years ago so have always had a car, don't know what I'd do without it tbh

When I had #2, I too didnt drive. I had a newborn and a 2 year old and had to bus it everywhere. Luckily most buses were low floor so I could get the buggy on no problems. But I still struggled.

The condition of having another baby was that I learned to Drive, so in october 2006 I started, and I passed in March. There is NO way I could cope with 3 and public transport.

2 isnt that bad, especially if the older one can walk so you only need a single. But you need to think about what buggy you buy #2, can you collapse it one handed whilst holding the baby and watching older child? If you need a double, a side by side WONT fit on most low floor buses.

I had a phil and teds e3 and never struggled to get on.

I drive and would be lost without my car :D

I dont drive though sometime i wish i could!
But i just know id neer pass i havent got the confidence or the patience. I think any driving istructor would leave the proffesion so as not to put up with my ranting raving and lack of ability. This is all guess work ive never tried at all to learn. The biggest reason is money or lack of it.
I hate the bus is well over priced and usless at turning up in time. I ride my bike too and from work. Which is becoming increasingly difficult as bump expands. And i do not trust from experiance drivers to use one of those bike with a seat for a child NO WAY! I find they think of me a annoying fly to swat out the way. Another reason i dont learn is i hate car drivers (EXCEPT MY MAN OF COURSE) drivers can be very dengourous and selfish on the road i dont wont be behind the wheel with all that. Im going to struggle with a child i'll have to use the bus i hope when we finaly move we rent near a central area close enough to walk easily to shops trains extra. Ps no offence to all drivers on this sight im sure you our all considerate drivers!!!

I don't drive at the moment but really need to! I live in a very small town 30 mins drive, or 1 hours bus ride from Aberdeen. I've ended up in a poorly paid, dead end job in the town because I struggled fitting 2 hours of commuting in with James' childcare.

If I could drive it would hugely improve my earning potential and job statisfaction. I passed my theory test a couple months ago, just need to start the practical lessons now. I think it might be a problem in my current state though, I have very short legs and I think my bump and the steering wheel might clash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back