Do we find out the sex?

TaffyRose

Reaction score
I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas :)

I was just wondering how many people are or have found out the sex at their 20 week scan? We had originally decided to stay team yellow, however after the 12 week scan my OH turned round and said he'd really like to know. Of course now everyone's guessing. Part of me would like to know but I would also love a surprise. I know I've got a until 10th Feb to decide but I wondered what everyone else thought or were going to do xxx

Last edited:
We always said we would stay team yellow but it's so hard, as, like you, part of me wants to know. The way I try and convince myself not to find out is to think of it like a present at Christmas, when my husband tells me he has got me a surprise present I always want to know what it is as I can't wait, but when I open it on Christmas day, I'm always pleased that he kept it a surprise as I think you appreciate it more if you don't know what you're getting :) not that I wouldn't appreciate my baby if I knew the sex, but think I'd be disappointed with my self for spoiling the 'surprise'.
My friend had a baby on Christmas day and all day I was waiting for news and it was even more exciting as we didn't know the sex! Especially as I haven't had a friend have a baby girl all year, out of about 15 babies born in the last year, this is the first girl, so it was a lovely surprise x x

i found out with my DD and i'm doing the same this time! It was helpful knowing as i could start getting girls clothes and all things pink, and it was nice to pick a name and call her it while she was in my tummy :) still made everything all exciting at the birth just wondering what she would look like...masses of hair or bald, her dads nose or mine lol!! xx

I was adamant before pregnancy and leading up to our early scans that we were going to stay team yellow, but the excitement of knowing what we are having seems to be so exciting! Can't believe we could know in February rather than waiting til the end of June to know boy or girl!

I keep saying him or he because I hate saying it when talking about Roo, so I think knowing the sex allows u to bond by says he or she! Not that u wouldn't bond with them anyway. If Roo doesnt allow us to see their bits at the scan then I would be upset but also so excited that I could stay team yellow as my willpower not to find out otherwise isn't that strong. Xx

Last edited:
we stayed team yellow, i really wanted to know but my other OH wanted it as a surprise so i gave in lol...but its great playing the guessing game! I think i am having a girl but who knows lol!!

I'm the same as you Kanga I've always said that I would never find out but when it came to my 20 week I couldn't resist! I'm glad I found out I feel like its helping both me and OH bond with her. I feel like she has more of an identity.

We didn't, find out the first time and missed out on lots of nice stuff, and I hated calling him an it. We found out the second time and it was nice to call him by his name and get some blue stuff in. We will find out this time too, we both really want a girl and I can,t wait untill June to find out, if we have another boy we,ll need the next 5 months to decide on a name lol.

I couldn't wait and had a private gender scan at 16 weeks. Call me Miss Patience :D

We are staying team yellow. I wasn't particularly bothered either way but my husband really wanted a surprise, and I must admit that I always get much more excited about friend's babies when I'm waiting to find out whether or not it's a girl or a boy when I know they've gone into labour. I can't wait for my husband to tell me what we've had in the delivery room.

It has started to get harder recently in terms of buying a few clothes, but I think it's a small price to pay and we had no problems decorating the nursery as we went for beige with brightly coloured curtains, and will add either a blue or pink blackout blind and accessories when we know what it is!

The only thing that upsets me a little bit (and I think this is just me being over-sensitive and not meant in this way by other people at all!!) is when people say you bond 'better' with your baby when you know what sex it is, because this almost implies that I'm not bonding with my baby because I chose to stay team yellow. I haven't found this to be true at all, and am loving talking to my bump and feeling him or her wiggle and kick inside me.

I think if you have very strong feelings about what sex you would like to have (or what you think you might be having) then it could be a good idea to find out to avoid a potentially big shock. My best mate was convinced she was having a girl and then found out at the scan it was a boy and she was happy to have that 'adjustment' time before he arrived. I have no idea what I'm having and change my mind each week, so either sex will be a nice surprise!!!

Good luck, and I'm sure by the time the scan comes around you'll know how you feel and what you want to do. xxx

I always knew I would want to find out, It would be torture to me to not do so lol, and Im so glad we did, cos now we have named her and all the family are buying pretty pink things lol, its a very personal descision though I think :) xxx

Last edited:
Aawwww helly what a load of crap about bonding. I wouldn't have cared either way but I'm just naturally incredibly nosey. Women have gone for thousands of years not knowing the sex of their baby and it never affected bonding. Don't take any notice xxxxxxxxxx

I'm finding out as have loads of boy gear if its a girl I can then give it away x I have feeling its number 2 boy thought x

I've got my 20 week scan tomo, really hoping we can find out :) xx

Thanks Babybrain. Didn't know if it was just me being over-sensitive (which it probably is seeing as I'm desperately hormonal!!) but got really pissed off the other day when someone accused me of being selfish for not finding out cause they couldn't buy me the right colour outfit, and then they threw in the bonding card and I flipped!!! lol

Thanks Babybrain. Didn't know if it was just me being over-sensitive (which it probably is seeing as I'm desperately hormonal!!) but got really pissed off the other day when someone accused me of being selfish for not finding out cause they couldn't buy me the right colour outfit, and then they threw in the bonding card and I flipped!!! lol

Being selfish bah. There are plenty of lovely unisex cloths that that person can get, we got loads when we did,nt find out. Or just get something when it,s born. As for the bonding crap, as someone said, women went thousands of years without finding out, if women didn't bond with there babies just because they didn't no the sex, we wouldn't have survived as a species!!

im definatekly finding out for a number of reasons
* i can pick a name
* alot of people have convionced my its a boy and so i want to find out for piece of mind and call baby he/she instead of it
* Looking at the unisex clothes in the shops nothing really catches my eye and so id like to get some colour
* plenty more but cant think of any

I think its defo a preference if you want to find out or not so dont feel pressured x

We found out the sex cos DH got me a private 3D scan for my birthday ( he counldnt think of anything else) and our nhs area refuse to tell you.

I would say knowing the sex has definitely help DH bond more. Think he was feeling a bit distant before - where as now he talks about his daughter.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back