Disposables or Cloth? What our you going to use?

Geordie&Bairn

Reaction score
As a nursery Nurse i have changed children who wear both. The cloth ones i know from experiance are a pain in the back side!. But im looking at using them for 2 reasons cost and the enviroment. Cloth you can rewash use agian so less cost and, its not chucked into a land fill to add to worlds growing green house gases. But as i say they are annoying they take ages to change they do leak some times and let out smells more. Also the children who could walk waddled because of the amount of material between their legs.
Pros cloth cost effective good for enviroment
Cons takes time to change them more difficult to use on trips out
they leak out they smell more. The make walking children waddle.
Pros for disposables easy to use easy to get rid of easy for trips out. Sizes meet needs of child they can walk normaly.
Cons costly witht the amount you have to go through
Very, very, very, bad for the enviroment!!!!!!!
There is more Negatives to cloth nappies but can my deep concern for the enviroment be swayed by that evil human thing called conveniance???
ANY ONE EVER USED COTH NAPPIES BEFORE? ADVICE NEEDED
Lol Sarah

i will be using cloth nappies hun
ive got a days worth of tommie tippie pre-folds and quite a few different style wraps
am going to get few tots bots aswell to bump the set up and a few pocket nappies for ease while we are out as they are all-in-ones :)
wont be using right after birth though going to wait a couple weeks for babys bum to sort itself out :)
there is loads and loads of threads about cloth nappies in ask a mum section i think could be baby product review though :think:
manda xx

We're going to buy some disposables for after the baby's born (perhaps a week) and then switch to cloth when we know how big he or she is. We'll probably go for the part biodegradeable disposables for that period. Not sure yet if we're going to buy them or go for a laundry service as even the latter would cost us less than disposables. Our local authority are huge on recycling and cutting down waste hence they subsidise a local real nappy company. For £8.99 a week we can get a supply delivered, picked up and laundered.

My cousin used cloth nappies for 18 months on her daughter and only stopped when the wee one went back to nursery full time and was finding the cloth ones a bit bulky (but the new prefolds are NOTHING like as thick as the terry ones I wore when I was little). She says she wouldn't have used anything else and had few problems with leaks. The only issue she had was having to buy slightly bigger clothes for the baby's bottom half.

im going to use reusable cloth (got a Littlelamb kit of bamboo nappies, hope theyre ok)!! purely for the cost factor, altho will prob carry around a pack of disposable for emergencies!

I voted disposables as that is what I think I'll be most likely to use... although I am looking into cloth nappies this time - my two children had disposables and still weear one at night so I'm still paying out for them.

Disposable for me! With 2 other kids worth of washing, plus baby & me & DF, i dont think my washing machine would take it, so the cost of a new machine too would just not be cost effective! Plus the machine would take up landfill space my nappies would LOL

I will be using a combination of both but mainly cloth ones.

This is my first baby and I need to get my head around what Im doing first of all. Even after reading about cloth nappies Im still not entirely sure what equipment I need, I just seem to confuse myself, I hope they come with a good instruction manual!!

So for ease of use I will be using disposable ones for the first few months then I intend to swap to cloth. I think I will still use the odd disposable one when Im out and about for the day.

I am ashamedly going to use the disposable ones. :oops:

I am sad about it because my New Year's resolution is to recycle
more, have no more flights and walk more to use less petrol.

My OH thinks that there isn't much difference to environmental damage
as detergents and energy used for washing cloth nappies are equally damaging.
I am not so sure, but I will use biodigradable nappies where ever possible.

I started out with the excellent intentions of using cloth nappies and did a trial run with the local nappy laundering service.

It didn;t really work out because everytime my little one wore one of the nappies, her whole bum would end up red raw. I was changing her very regularly, but the plastic pants that go over the nappies just wouldn't allow her skin to breath.

We ended up using pampers and feeling bad about it. The other option would have been to buy our own better ones, but you had to but massive expenseive sets and we couldnt test them out first, so it would have been a gamble. At the end of the day her skin came first and we guiltily stuck with disposables. I soon got over the guilt and forgot about it :oops:

before you berat yourselves for choosing disposable there are alternative studies that suggest cloth nappies are not as green as premoted..due to extra chemical been used on washing energy for washing and drying.

We decided not to use cloth as it would of meant buying a washer dryer as we didn't have room for a dryer and need to be garunteed clean nappies when you need them which again would not of been enviromentally friendly.

Chosse what works for you but don't feel bad for doing what is right

Cloud 9 you our so right
We have not got a dryer and have no where to put one even if we did. and having to wash and dry everything constently is just as bad as diposables. You cant win either way!
Im going o look into biodegrable nappies hope there not more expensive though!

gymbabeliz said:
im going to use reusable cloth (got a Littlelamb kit of bamboo nappies, hope theyre ok)!! purely for the cost factor, altho will prob carry around a pack of disposable for emergencies!

I have just taken delivery of a little lambs trial pack, wanted to check out the waterproof wrap before buying a whole load. Also gone for the ones that dry quicker as we live in a flat and putting them on a line isn't possible. Think i may order the whoe birth to potty pack though. They are so cute and fluffy!!!!

Got a few tots bots ones so will give them a go as well. Definatley going to use reusable ones x

for the first couple of weeks I'll use disposable (but I've bought the enviromentally friendly type) then I've got the reusable ones (cotton bottoms) :D

I am going to use reusables because (please excuse the crazy) I hate wearing sanitary towels. I wore a reusable nappy on one arm and a disposable on the other for a while (I did warn you about the crazy! :rotfl: ) and I just don't want to put disposables on my baby.

I am going to use (more madness coming up) fleece liners and muslins for the first few days so I can just throw out liners that are too stained with myconium.

Then I have bimbles. I bought one of a few different nappies - only ones that dry quickly as we don't have a tumble drier - and to begin with I was in love with the fluffle. Then the bimbles arrived and they are so small! So I have 10 bimbles, 5 tots bots cotton (from freecycle) and 5 fluffles plus 45 muslins to get me started and will buy more once baby is here.

Everything I read seemed to suggest that Motherease are by far the best wraps so I have bought 3 extra small (yes, they will only last weeks but they are sooo cute), 3 small and 1 medium airflow. Not the rikki as I don't like velcro (I'm a whole world of crazy :rotfl: ) Once we know if it's a boy or a girl I will buy wraps from wee notions as they have fantastic designs!

So I have to admit I am not doing this for the environment or the cost. I may even end up spending more on reusables than I would on disposables to get lots of fun wraps! :D

missjennipenni said:
Disposable for me! With 2 other kids worth of washing, plus baby & me & DF, i dont think my washing machine would take it, so the cost of a new machine too would just not be cost effective! Plus the machine would take up landfill space my nappies would LOL
yep, me too and joe will still be in nappies when the baby comes. I thought about it for joe but in the end I went with good old pampers. I try to be as green as possible but when it come to jobbies im a bit of a woos.

I used Disposables with my others and will probley do the same this time

Im so confused there seems to be so many types and layers to get i wouldnt know where to start and so many sizes ahhhhhhhhhhh
Do any good old shops sell this stuff as i wont to see before i part with my cash. I dont wont to use on line shops as i dont know what im getting till it arrives a and the baby cant wait till ive returned them a recived to correct type and size ect. The evil conveniance of disposables sounds better and better. What our the names of some good green bio degradable disposable nappies???????????????

We actually have a shop locally that stocks loads of different types of cloth nappies. A point of contact would be your local council - ours funds a local real nappy initiative.

Nature Boy & Girl is a brand of eco-friendly nappies (they only take 6 years to decompose as opposed to 100 years for a regular disposable) and there's lots of reviews online. They don't seem to be more expensive than the likes of Pampers. Has anyone on here used them? We might go for them to start before we invest in a bunch of reusables the wrong size!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back