disposable or not disposable (nappies)

Tara & Liam

Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody help. I used disposables with my first two and this time I want to use non disposable nappies. Can anyone recommend

davina

Hi Davina,

I'm thinking the same! Although this is my first and I'm determined to use washable nappies, for both the environment and my bank balance !!

I've found lots of good websites that explain the different types and how to use them, but it would be nice to hear from someone that actually uses them, and perhaps someone that could recommend a type of nappy, as there seems to be 3 main types but loads of different makes!

Thanks
Emma

Hi,

glad someone started this thread as I've been wondering the same thing. My Mum used reuasables on me and my brother and she said that she used some kind of soaking stuff that meant that you only had to wash them at 30 degrees which was even better for the environment as it doesn't take as much energy. Has anyone heard of this as I can't find any mention of it?

+++

We are planning on using washable nappies i wanted to do it but hadnt said anything to my bf as i didnt hink he would be interested then he mentioned it to me and he's really keen on the idea which i was really pleased about. We're planning on going to the baby show in cardiff and seeing some there. Going to send off and ask for some samples and see what they are like. But would be really interested to hear from people that have used them.

Rosebay said:
Hi,

glad someone started this thread as I've been wondering the same thing. My Mum used reuasables on me and my brother and she said that she used some kind of soaking stuff that meant that you only had to wash them at 30 degrees which was even better for the environment as it doesn't take as much energy. Has anyone heard of this as I can't find any mention of it?

There's a product available in Australia called Napisan. Everyone uses it. You soak the nappies for 2 hours (or over night) then just rinse and spin. As well as for nappies, it's great for all sorts of laundry uses. I always had some handy, even though I've no children!

If you check out their website you'll see that they are now co-branded with Vanish (which wasn't in Australia 6 years ago) but I've never seen napisan here (UK).

Now I think about it, if I get through TTC period, I may get some shipped to me.

joan

I have thought about using washables as they are a lot better designed these days, but I dont have a tumble dryer, so I just envisage having nappies drying all over the place all the time!

-Cat- said:
I have thought about using washables as they are a lot better designed these days, but I dont have a tumble dryer, so I just envisage having nappies drying all over the place all the time!

That's what is putting me off, it's really hard to dry just our clothes indoors in the winter, let alone baby clothes and nappies :(

I've just noticed my local council offers £50 towards the cost of nappies or 12 weeks nappy service at half price.

Anyone considering cloth should definitely see if their council is offering a similar deal.

Hi

We have a shop that sells the starter packs for just £5 so i might wander down there and give it a go.

xx

rosieroo said:
-Cat- said:

That's what is putting me off, it's really hard to dry just our clothes indoors in the winter, let alone baby clothes and nappies :(

It's my problem too and why I can't really use re-usable :?

Hi

I do agree with you, without a tumble dryer it would be a nightmare to dry them. I think that it is a personal choice like breast and bottle feeding. you do what is right for you.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back