Discussing labour/delivery notes

Jajis

Reaction score
So, my GP has referred me back to the hospital where I had my son in order to discuss my labour & delivery notes as I still can't really talk (or even just think) about it without shaking and crying, and although I know I want another child at some point I am completely terrified by the whole idea of having to go through labour & delivery again. The hospital rang earlier and it's been organised for next week. Even walking past the women's centre gives me the shivers, so I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of having to go back in there, but I hope it will help!

Has anybody else done this, what was it like, what questions did you ask, did it help? Sorry for all the questions! I'm sure I remember somebody else on here had done this but I'm afraid I can't remember who it was...

Last edited:
I'm afraid it wasn't me hun, but I am so pleased to hear they are taking your concerns to heart and trying to help you!

You often hear about the "bad" things re: the NHS and I think this is actually a positive thing for women that have had awful labours.

I hope it all goes well.

xxxx

Hi Hun, I think it was Lynds who asked for a copy of her notes (apologies if I'm wrong) I had a debrief when Harry was 4 months old as my labour and birth were so traumatic I couldn't talk about it without crying. I blamed the hospital for Harry's problems after delivery too x

I had a de brief and am having counseling to deal with this.

Basically they just read the labour notes (not really notes tho, more like a book!) ran through what happened, why it happened and my main questions were would it happen again.

I'd really like to do this as my labour was really traumatic. Does anybody know how to organize a debrief without going to the doctor? - sorry to hijack your thread lol!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I also did this. I spent an hour there talking to the consultant obstetrician. It was great, really what I needed.

I didn't have a horrendous labour but we almost lost our baby and she was in NICU for a few days. I wanted to talk through what/why it happened, could it happen again, what can I do to prevent things like that, can I be classed as high risk etc etc.
I wrote down everything which covered 2 sheets of A4 paper and asked everything and more.

I would advise to sit down just you and let all the memories and worries come back to you, write everything down and ask everything you need to ask. It is a brilliant way of setting a lot if your fears free I promise. I found doing this so liberating.

I hope you get everything you need from the discussion and they will offer to see you again if you feel you need it.
Xxx

I'd really like to do this as my labour was really traumatic. Does anybody know how to organize a debrief without going to the doctor? - sorry to hijack your thread lol!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hi if you discuss it with your HV she will be able to organise it with the labour ward manager. Mine was with my consultant as I ended up being consultant led at the end of my pregnancy. I would say go for it, it helped me move on x

Mine was organized before I left hospital but I'm sure the health visitor would be able to point you in the right direction!

I really can't emphasize enough how helpful this was to me; along with the counseling. It has really helped me start to come to terms with my lo being an only child x

I requested my notes from the hospital. I would rather have a meeting to be honest, as most of the writing I cant decipher!

also, i know I had an internal at 11pm and was told I was fully dilated, but my notes were not filled in until 2am!!!!! They wrote that they checked me then and i was 10cm. I dont remember if I was checked or not then I was out of my mind by that point, but I do know for sure i was checked at 11pm.

I did but my mum was with me so she could take care of her. However she would have been welcome with the consultant as there were lots of toys she could have played with.x

I also left my LO with my mum but that was because I knew u would get emotional at the appointment! But as babybee said, there were toys in the room and there was a nurse in the room who would probably have entertained him! X

I don't have any advice, hun, but just wanted to offer you a big hug. So sorry you had such a horrific time. I'm sure it will be a positive thing to do xxx

Well I spent this morning practically shaking at the idea of going back there and talking about it all, but actually it wasn't that bad. We went through my notes and mostly it seemed to tie in with how I thought things had happened, but it also helped fill in some bits that I couldn't remember (or wasn't ever told).

She showed me a scribbled diagram in my notes of my tears / episiotomy :sick: I really had no idea that a tiny pencil diagram could make me feel physically ill :shock:

She also said that if/when I have another baby I ought to be referred to see an obstetrician and an anaesthetist to discuss options and to help me worry less about things going wrong with my next labour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back