Disappointing midwife appt ;-(

Clairexx

Reaction score
So when I got there did they not have it on the system (luckily I had kept the slip they gave me so was smugly able to hand that over) so had to wait a whole until I could be seen!
She measured me and I am measuring 34 weeks when I am 36+3, and she confirmed what I was worried about.. I'm not engaged yet ;-( she said head is down but it's just floating above my cervix rather than in it! I know I have a whole yet but this just confirms to me that I will go at least to 40 weeks - she is even sending me an appointment for an induction at 41 weeks so clearly she thinks it too! I guess coz I had my first at 37 weeks I hoped that meant this one would be early too! But by this point last time I was nearly fully engaged.
Bit upset really as now I know my maternity leave is gonna be wasted! Xxx

Last edited:
My friend wasnt engaged at 37 weeks she gave birth at 37+4 u never know

It's never wasted use mat leave time pre baby to prepare yourself get sleep and rest make sure the house is as u want it catch up with friends and movies and enjoy time to self or with exsisting children big hugs xx

They do say that first babies engage earlier and that subsequent babies sometimes don't engage until labour because there is more room due to everything being stretched already. My first was starting to engage at about 28weeks but this one isn't at 30weeks. Enjoy some relaxing time before baby arrives x

Awww don't be down about it Hun. Baby could engage anytime.
X x x

Tapatalking. X

I didn't engage with my first till I was actually in labour, and she was a week early. So being free at 36 weeks doesn't always mean you'll go over. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Aww Claire sorry your down hun, like they say baby could engage any time. Use the next few weeks to relax as much as you can and try and chill as it will be all systems go once bubs is here. Hugs xxxx

Nah that doesn't mean anything hun, baby could engage tomorrow :)

Don't be down, there's no way of telling when ur going to go in labour so don't worry about induction for now, that's just a last resort x

I know how you feel - my girlys head was still floating a week ago at appointment (@ 36+3) but MW didn't even seem bothered! Was a different MW again though and I don't like her one bit after seeing her a while back and she skipped loads of the routine checks (bp, urine & measurement) but when she measured me this time she said I was still the same as last appointment which was nearlg 3 weeks earlier!!! I did notice she measured me from & to different points to my old MW though, which obviously made a big diffefence cos I got hubby to do it later and it was back on track to before!! I'm pretty sure my girly is still floating now though and it's starting to worry me cos I'm sure she's tried to engage a few times as I've felt her moving down and bump's got lower, but then she's right back up high again. Hoping MW will shed some light in a week at next appointment, also secretly hoping girly arrives before then cos I really don't want to go back to her!! Lol try not to worry though, I'm sure it'll all fall in place in time, just enjoy your mat leave!

Thanks girlies, it's great to hear that hopefully this doesn't mean I have ages still! Love this forum for stuff like this!!! Will have to try n walk as much as possible, but it's bloody hard with spd and no treatment (gave up waiting for physio!). Is anyone else measuring a couple of weeks behind? I'm hoping its just a guess and wrong anyway, I don't like the thought of baby being too tiny xxx

Your second baby can bounce in and out it is only the first that engages and stays there.

Hi clare. I wouldnt even worry hun. My first was engaged at 37 weeks and came at 39 weeks. Iv been told also that 2nd pregnancies babies often dont engage until labour. Im actually measuring a couple weeks ahead, but shes still not here anyway. So dont even worry, lo will come when he's ready...doesnt necessarily mean u will go to 40 weeks. Everyone was convinced id go early and now at 39+3 Im still waiting. I also took mat leave earlier than i wanted, at 36 weeks, thinking that baby would come early and am kinda wishing id worked another week or two, but that said im sure we will be grateful for this time once our babies are here. xx

Your second baby can bounce in and out it is only the first that engages and stays there.

Il go with that. 3 weeks ago I was told baby was 4/5th engaged, and last week was only 2/5th engaged. x

Thanks ladies, I do hope this is right.. I know it's good to get some rest before baby comes, and I do have lots of cleaning etc that i want to get sorted, but it won't take 6 weeks! I was beginning to think I had taken maternity leave too early (36 weeks) but if the bouncing in and out is true that gives me great hope I won't be massively overdue! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back