Dinner/Snack after nursery?

Taboo917

Reaction score
Hi All,

Caleb has been going to nursery since mid-October...they give him breakfast at 8:15ish, lunch at 11:30 and then snack at 3:30/4. The snack in the baby room is usually a pretty substantial meal like stew / macaroni cheese / soup and bread etc.

Up until now we were finding that he didn't really need any food at home before his bedtime bottle so we would just give him a bit of fruit / crackerbread / biscuit. The last couple of evenings when he's been at home he's been pointing to the kitchen and sort of tutting with his tongue (this is his new way of telling us he's hungry!) so I'm wondering if he now needs some more food when he gets home? We did also drop his afternoon bottle over Christmas so he isn't getting that at nursery anymore either.

The last couple of mornings he's been waking up at 5am screaming and I'm convinced it's because he's hungry as this morning he settled back to slepe until 7 after he'd had his morning bottle. He'll usually sleep until 6/6:30 no bother. Do other people normally give a dinner after nursery? A full dinner or more like a snack/supper?

I'm happy to do it as i clearly dont want him to go hungry but I dont want to create an absolute chubster! xx

I always give my son something else to eat when he gets home from nursery even though he's had 3 meals there. The nursery tea is a smaller meal but at home he has 3 proper meals a day. I usually offer something like toast or a little bit of what I have for tea xx

We used to get our nursery to give some crackers at about 5pm (her usual dinner time - they have it at 3.30pm) but found she does OK without now. She does usually have two breakfasts on nursery days though. Sometimes she is hungry when we get home so she gets a snack. It would be too late for a meal by then anyway.

I've always had to feed my son after nursery. Some days just toast other days full on meals. It's been the same since he was going at 10mths. x

I've never had to give another dinner. On the days they're at home, they have main meal at lunchtime and tea at around 4pm and the nursery has the same pattern, which helps. Both mine still have a cup of milk and maybe one of those fruit bars before going to bed. Occasionally my son will need more, so ends up having a banana or some cereal too.

I'd go with your instinct/what baby seems to be telling you :)

Jackson gets breakfast, a morning snack then lunch. When he comes home about 3 we give him a second lunch kinda, just sanwich and some fruit then he has his dinner.

Some days hes better at eating than others. Go with your instinct if you find hes starting to not eat his dinner give a lighter snack before tea.

xxxx

Thanks ladies, I think we will start giving him a slice of toast or little bowl of porridge when he gets home from nursery and see if that helps....won't be able to test it out for a little while as he developed chicken pox over the weekend poor thing! x

After writing my reply... Jackson had mash and bangers and jelly at nursery today and has just came home and asked for a bannana and apple :shock:

Spose their running about playing alot of the day.

Let us know how you get on..

xxxx

Thanks ladies, I think we will start giving him a slice of toast or little bowl of porridge when he gets home from nursery and see if that helps....won't be able to test it out for a little while as he developed chicken pox over the weekend poor thing! x

On a separate note, how old is your LO? My two just went through chicken pox and I gave the 2.5yr old piriton which really helped with the itching but it's only for 12mths plus. It's awful to see them suffer and so spotty isn't it. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back