dihydrocodeine vs diamorphine

GBLiz

Reaction score
any professionals on here can you give your opinion on which is potentially worst for baby out of these two pain relief or are they as bad as each other? i'm hoping not to have to use either but just to be informed...

Your midwife didnt explain all the drugs you can have while doing your birth plan???
I have no idea, i just go epidural. But following for info to x

nobody has gone through my birth plan properly yet!!!

i'm having a home birth so hoping to manage on gas and air, but the midwife arranged for me to have a prescription of diamorphine on standby ..however after reading its basically heroin i'm not keen to use it. A friend of mine said i could use dihydrocodeine and i actually have some at home (bad me keeping medication that i didnt use from something previously) ...now obviously i'm not about to self prescribe it but seeing as i have it i wondered if its a safer back up plan than the diamorphine......

ohh you usually have it at 36 week appoitment. With dd she mine asked if she wanted to go through pain relief i said no cos just having epi lol. Yoi should have another appoitment soon, 38 weeks, can ask then x

Ohh heroin?!? Ikno some babies come out all doppy due to some drugs idk which onea though. Depends how much you can handle the pain to what you will want i suppose. Fx you can do it with jusy gas and air x

Though I think with a home birth it should have already been done? Is this your first baby? Personally I think you'd probably be fine with the gas and air. Especially at home where you'll probably be more relaxed and if you aren't keen on other drugs. I can't remember if you were having a home water birth or not? I'd phone them up get an appointment, even if you aren't due one, to discuss it

Oh but I was given Dihydrocodine for my slipped disk (it didn't work) It's just a stronger version of codine. So I'd say that one would be safer in my opinion. Though honestly after being given a prescription of it id not seeing it being any good for labour. I'd say the gas and air would be more helpful xx

Last edited:
this is my 3rd baby. i had a homebirth with my 1st and midwife centre with my 2nd, both just gas and air, but my 2nd labour the pain was so intense i honestly thought i wouldnt make it, which hopefully wont happen again but just in case. i dont have another mw appoinment til 39 weeks 2 days it might be too late by then!!

You can always just phone them and get another one though. If you tell them why they'll see you I'm sure. A bit ridiculous to have you wait until 39, if it's your third its definitely possible you'll not last that long! Fx hun xx

i hope not. ..! i had been doing well but suddenly hit the wall bigtime , and since i turned 37 weeks and i know the midwives are good to go with the homebirth, i'm expecting/hoping every night to be the night it starts......i dont know how i will manage potentially 3/4 /5 more weeks, baby is so low and so much pressure it feels like everything is prolapsing (TMI!!!!))))

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back