different types of pain relief

GBLiz

Reaction score
Hi all,

With my first two babies I only had gas and air and tbh i dont think it did much, with my second last year the pain was so horrendous during the contractions stage i was throwing up the whole time and had a tens machine on max to try to help aswell. I wondered if anyone has experience of the other types of pain drugs apart from epidural? I dont always react well to medication (taking a tramodol for tooth ache had me gibbering and rocking in the corner lol) which is why i have kept away, but i cant face the thought of that level of pain again.

thanks for any advice or stories!

I had gas and air followed four hours later by a shot of oramorph (liquid morphine that you drink) I'm the same as you with medicine it sends me loopy, however the gas and air had already done this so I've no idea if the morphine added to it or made it worse I was high as a kite but also felt in control. That lasted about five hours then I asked for an epidural but seven attempts later they realised I had a curved spine #facepalm
I dunno if this us any help, I'm sure there is something you can get between oramorph and epidural it's a drip you control yourself by pressing a button x

Pethidine didn't work for me, and neither did gas and air. Pethidine had me feeling trapped inside the pain. I was induced so the contractions were absolutely horrendous. Epidural was heaven. Also had the spinal block before the epidural while trying to establish personal risk factors (I already had back issues).

I personally thought the epidural was heaven. I could still feel but there was no pain. Plus, you can control the dosage so you can control how much you can feel.

Good luck!

Pethidine did not work for me either just made me sick. I ended uo having an epidural.

Gas and air didn't seem to do much but control breathing for me - I had a water birth though and being in the pool made it so much more bearable! :)

Last edited:
Yes, my midwife said that a water birth is the next best thing in terms of pain relief to an epidural.
It helps you relax and that helps so much with the pain as well as the progress. The midwife couldn't tell when I was having contractions I was so calm and focused.
Would definitely recommend if you have that option.
Good luck.

when i got in the birthing pool last time it made my contractions ease off and the labout almost didnt progress.......plus i couldnt wear the tens machine in there which was proving vital for my back pain........

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back