Difference between Braxton Hicks and real contractions

Donna88

Reaction score
So a couple of days ago I had what I'm assuming was a braxton hick contraction. I was kneeling down to sort some clothes in babies room and I had pain across the whole of my stomach. The pain lasted probably about a minute and then that was it. It was my first experience of anything like that as I didn't have any that I noticed with my previous pregnancy or before now in this pregnancy.

Today I've been out for a walk with the dog and some friends. Come home has a bite to eat and then while sitting down watching some tv I've had two more of these experiences. All over my stomach and quite painful.

They were quite close together; I tried going to the toilet as daft as it sounds I wondered if I needed a poo. However I couldn't go, I've had another after coming back from the toilet.

I haven't had one again now for a longer amount of time than between the others, so I'm assuming they're not proper contractions? Although how do I tell the difference? Do these sound like braxton hicks?

Sorry I feel completely clueless. I was induced with my son so have no idea what going into natural labour is like. Obviously I'm only 33 weeks so really do not want these to be signs of labour starting.

For me Braxton hicks were a tightening and my bump going hard for around a minute and then easing. I actually thought it was baby moving and sticking her bum out until I was 37 weeks and on a monitor and they were showing as contraction however as they weren't stopping me doing what I was doing they said Braxton hicks.
When labour kicked in 4 weeks later I knew it was the real deal as I couldn't move through them,talk through them they definately stopped me in my tracks x

Yes they sound like BH contractions. Honestly they can feel the same as real ones but they’re usually not regular. If you’re having a lot of BH, they generally calm down if you lay down and have a drink, whereas labour contractions won’t go away and will keep getting stronger.

Thank you

Hopefully I won't have many more like that as they weren't very nice. Bring on Feb and her being here all safe and sound, I don't remember having so many issues when pregnant with my son.

I'm having a lot more braxton hicks this time round....they come on if I walk around too fast or do anything too strenuous. Some quite painful....but they do ease if I just sit down for a bit. I think it is almost muscle memory from last time which makes them happen a lot more in subsequent pregnancies.

That makes sense as to why I didn't have them last time, my muscles have much better memory than me then as I don't remember too much about last time haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back