Dieting in pregnancy???

Ikklemoi

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I went to the midwife yesterday and she said that I'm obese which really upset me and recommended that a might wanna see a dietitian? As anyone ever dieted in pregnancy? If so what have they eaten etc?

Thanks.

It's not recommended to diet when pregnant. Likely the dietician will advise you about healthy options, not calorie reduction. Whatever you do, don't try any calorie reducing diets, these are very unhealthy for your baby. If you want to make changes, try small things, such as cutting out sugar or eating more vegetables. Remember that your baby needs you to eat a varied diet to get all the vitamins and minerals needed.
As for obesity, they consider anyone with a BMI over 35 obese. But remember that BMI is a very blunt tool. It doesn't work for everyone, but too often healthcare professionals are stuck staring at those numbers. It will be completely off if you're very short or have a body shape outside the norm. According to BMI I can weigh 47 kg and still be considered healthy. I'm short (160 cm, about 5'3) but I'm not petite. There's no way I could get down to 47 kg and not be seriously anorexic.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I agree to rhiandell! You can attend slimming world when pregnant but they just advise you on healthy eating.

Also I'm 5' 7 and before my first daughter I weighed 10 1/2 stone. At that weight I was a size 8/10. According to the bmi chart I can healthily get down to 8 stone, I would be unbelievably skinny if I did! Xx

I was shocked that a midwife would suggest dieting to me. I'm a size 12 and 5ft 2 1/2 not skinny but not overally big either. I'm not gonna make myself poorly and try dieting I eat reasonable Anyways Asllong as baby is healthy and getting all the right vitamins that's all that matter to me :)

Honestly I'd tell her to sod off! Not only was her comment unhelpful, it was downright dangerous. Don't attempt any restrictive diet right now. Your weight is no where near too much for your size xx

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Every appointment ive had theyve brought up my bmi and at booking appointment midwife suggested eating healthy to 'control my weight', I was annoyed my bmi is over yes but I am very muscley and I definitely eat a well balanced diet. They never take your build into account, my body fat is 21% im definitely healthy! Bmi as said above is just a blunt tool as its easiest to calculate. My bmi was 31 at ba, im 5ft 5 and a size 10/12. I do carry a bit of weight on boobs and belly but i have no fat anywhere else. At my 12 week scan they wrote in my notes 'difficulty with scan due to raised bmi' yet never mentioned any problems except for baby being very active. I cried so much over it and now im crapping myself for 20 week scan i dont want the embarrassment of it all over again. Ive lost quite a bit of weight during pregnancy, not intentional though (thanks nausea!) and my bmi is now 29, still overweight :(

They shouldn't be making ladies feel like this at all it's ridiculous. I can imagine them saying I'm hard to scan then my bmi is 31 also. I'm gonna have a word with my consultant when I'm booked in to see him and tell him what's been said. The book she gave me about risks of been overweight aswell couldn't believe it now I haven't read any of it as a suffer with anxiety already don't want more stress and worry added on that could possibly effect baby at all. When' are you due maaaaac? I'm only 11+1 xx

Im due late Oct, 20 weeks tomorrow!! Congrats to.you :) i slso have a history of anxiety and also depression and im not lying all this talk about my weight at appointments is really bringing me down! Im healthy for gods sake no smoking no drinking and tried really hard to come off meds so i could try, yet i feel like im already a terrible mother. Im also worrying now because ive lost so much weight and not gaining any in tri 2 but dont want to say! Im sure theyd be glad! We'll stick together ikklemoi, frig them!

I'm sure yoUr gonna make a fantastic mum already seen it and seem to be doing everything proper :) thankyou congrats to you aswell, the next 20weeks will fly by for you. With my baby before this I'm currently pregnant with I lost loads at 23 weeks still couldn't tell I was pregnant and only day before I had him was a slight bump, he was an healthy 8lb 5 :) Ano how u feel with ththe anxiety not taken my meds because am worried about it effecting baby yet been told about my weight it's made me really anxious and worried. Are you finding out if your having a boy or girl? :) cannot eat for my scan on 14th be nearly 13 weeks then. Xxx

Honestly, change midwife. And perhaps ask to talk to their supervisor. It's very clear in the NHS guidelines that it's NOT recommended to diet or try to lose weight during pregnancy. Yes, overweight in the mother is connected with higher risk, but studies have concluded that trying to lose weight in pregnancy does not change that, but in fact adds loads more risks. For a midwife to suggest that is highly unprofessional and quite frankly dangerous to both the mother and the baby.

Maaaac, that's just offensive not to mention stupid. Don't let it get to you! And don't see that midwife again. You have every right to request someone different.

Gah, it makes me so sad and frustrated to read these stories. Weight is by far the only factor in health. I'm the first to admit om overweight, but I don't accept that I would be dangerously obese, despite my BMI saying so. I've had several checks on various markers the past few years and there's nothing wrong. All my values are good. Overweight means increased RISK, not that you are automatically suffering from a load of diseases.

Nope not finding out! Will you? I was 13 weeks for my scan too, i was working night shift before which was good, meant i was distracted. Im working night before my scan again im so thankful cause otherwise i would be going crazy!

Oh my bump is really obvious! Just expanding day by day lol! You cant tell face on but i turn and you just see people's expression of shock lol, comes out of nowhere haha!

I've ignored me idea of dieting tbh I don't eat bad at all just odd occasional take away etc. Yeah there's no way a could wait 40 weeks I'm too impatient not that it matters aslong as the baby us healthy. I've boys already and think this baby will be a boy too a girl would be nice but the health is all that matters it'll be loved eiTher way. Be a lovely suprise for you make labour etc extra special :) Ohhh how are u finding Working night shifts? I'm shatteted by mid day and asleep before 10pm. I love scans had a private one with one of my litTle boys and got a DVD still makes me emotional amazing what's happening inside that we can't see really does amaze me.

Thanks Rhiandell. Id honestly not cope if it weren't for all you lovely ladies on here!

How many kids do you have ikklemoi? This is my first. Oh dont get me wrong not knowing is killing me but hubby wants to wait lol. Says its my extra motivation to push! Im just used to night shifts to be honest i dont know if its work or the night shifts im finding hard in pregnancy, i just feel wrecked constantly! I look after my little sister most days so night shifts suits my mum. Lucky her :p

Aww that sounds lovely!! Yeah im amazed everytime i see baby on scan and i love finding out week by week whats happening. Soo exciting!!

Standard advice is not to diet during pregnancy. There have been studies of extremely overweight women dieting during pregnancy with good results. BUT you really dont sound like you come into that category. I recon that cutting out some junk food like crisps and sweets cant hurt but it certainly isnt the time for crash diets. The important thing is to aim for a healthy balanced diet. I think docs and MWs make the mistake of assuming if you are overweight you eat nothing but fast food and that simply isnt true for a lot of people. I am overweight and I eat loads of fruit veg and whole grains and rarely eat junk food.

I think docs and MWs make the mistake of assuming if you are overweight you eat nothing but fast food and that simply isnt true for a lot of people. I am overweight and I eat loads of fruit veg and whole grains and rarely eat junk food.
This! Well said Bunny, weight has become a sort of morality issue. It's like we're automatically assuming that the only possible reason someone could be overweight is because they are lazy couch potatoes who never eat anything but fast food (like Supersize me).
If any of you ever get the chance to see the movie Fathead, please do.
Lots of modern research point to overweight being a hormonal issue and genetic. Which is why someone people can eat whatever they like and never gain a gram, and some people eat perfectly normal healthy food and still have extra weight. Because it's individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back