did your midwife tell you off for swaddling?

Sarah W Baby Belly

Reaction score
we have been home for 24 hours and personally I thought we were doing really well considering we are totally new to this and had never even changed a nappy etc.......

the health visitor has just been round and told us off for using a wrap that we bought. i am not kidding, this wrap is so thin it is thinner than a babygrow, but she told us that he has a risk of cot death as a result. :shock:

so we have gone from thinking that we were getting on well to thinking we are bad parents. (knew this would happen, but didn't think it would happen as a result of swaddling which everyone seems to advise, even the hospitals)

what do you think?

We were advised against swaddling and moses baskets at antenatal class. I was really surprised!

no-one mentioned swaddling to me but I don't do it anyway.

She shouldn't have told you off though, just politely pointed out that research says it's not the best thing to do. MW and HV's really pee me off sometimes with their harshness and blunt comments. I'm sure you're doing great.... it's a really exciting time isn't it?!
Enjoy it!

it is exciting.

since the birth i've had one great night, one horrendous night and one not so bad.

no different to what i expected actually.

every minute brings a new adventure, and we are taking things one step at a time.

Woohoo you're home!

So delighted that you and Samuel and Simon are home, your new family.

Never mind stuffy old HV, urchin is right, if she didn't think it was the best thing to do, she should have just politely said so instead of waving alarming terms like "cot death" in your faces. Old biddy.

I think a good thing to wrap baby in is one of those cellular blankets.

Photos please! :lol:

Sue

i swaddeled dior for ages i think its nice for them reminds them of the whom and makes them feel safe... no one told me any thing about it, and my mw seen Dior swaddled when she came round nothing was said..
and dior was in her mosses basket no one has ever said any thing about them either???? why what are they saying about them?
im sure if they were no good they wouldnt be sold????

Hi,

congratulations by the way- I came this way first rather than checking new arrivals- hooray!!

They showed me how to swaddle in hospital and so did the midwife when we got home so I'd personally ignore it. I'm still swaddling him as he likes it.

We have dreadful health visitors around here, sadly there seem to be some rubbish ones out there. You didn't need a scary comment like that now did you? Negative HVs are my new pet hate!

+++

This is what I hate about being a first time mother is that MW, HV, Docs and OH's (bless them) all have their opinions and it can make you paranoid and feel like you are a bad parent.

All I can say is trust your instinct, mother knows best and you know what makes Samuel feel the most settled.

Just to add to your confusion I heard swaddling helps prevent cot deaths as there is no chance on sheets going on their heads and them kicking them off and getting cold. And it's how they are in the womb so they feel more secure and if you have a secure and comforted baby there it lowers the rate of cot death etc.

Trust your instinct :)

AHHHHHHHHH - just found this link which says it's OK http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2534113.stm - print this out and give it to your HV. :roll:

I was shown in both hospitals Damien was in when born how to swaddle him, and if I can do it to a premature baby then why not a full termer? I reckon that when they start to wriggle a bit more they sould stop being swaddled, Damien will just pull it off him now if I put a sheet around him.

You go with what you feel comfortable with hun. You are Samuels mummy :)

Isaac was swaddled as soon as he was born and we swaddled him for the first couple of weeks when he was home. Just make sure that the blanket is no higher than the neck at the back so if they turn their head they wont get a faceful of blanket.

Coming home feels weird doesn't it!?! Cool but weird :)

Congratulations and don't let any negative thoughts the HV tried to put in your mind spoil this time because its too precious.

Enjoy!!

Lou :)

Well firstly Sarah CONGRATULATIONS.

Glad to hear you are home.

Well Im not a first time mum as you all probably know and Ive never heard of that you are not recommended to Swaddle and as for Moses Baskets I think that Dior made a very good point...Why do they sell them in established Outlets like mothercare then if they are not recommended. I get really annoyed to be honest Sarah that HV & Midwifes all give you conflicting advice. I have found that so much has changed since I had my last baby eleven years ago. And so cross that she made you feel the way you did.

I swaddled Aidan, as I did Adam, Nikki, Jodie, Leah and Beth. Aidan is in a Moses Basket (well he was until a week ago) as were Adam, Nikki, Jodie, Leah and Beth !!! and noone has ever told me that I was wrong in doing so ???

My midwife and health visitor actually came in to my bedroom (its downstairs in the old garage (not literally lol) ) and neither made any comment to me about Swaddling or Moses Baskets.

Dont you dare let them make you feel like bad parents and enjoy those first few weeks, as like the others say they are so precious.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures !!!

Tiny Sue said:
I think a good thing to wrap baby in is one of those cellular blankets.

thats what i use for Coby :)

my HV and MW have seen me swaddle him with a cellular and they didnt say anything, i think they all tell you diffrent anyway so it can get confusing as to wqho to belive.

best advice i can give you is, you know your own baby, do what you think is best.

half the time HV and MW's tell you "text book stuff" which i think is a load of crap coz every baby is diffrent.

dont let them make you feel bad hun

xxx

I cant see anything wrong with moses baskets?? they were highly recommended to me!

I disagree though about saying if they were dangerous then mothercare wouldnt sell them because mothercare still sell cot bumpers and they are a big no no. I can't see what is harmful about a moses basket? As long as you take them out of it and into a cradle or cot when they outgrow it.

Also when I went to buy Isaac's bedding all the sets are quilts and pillow cases and they are not suitable till babies are 1 year old!

I am mixing and matching sheets and cellular blankets on his cot.

Lou :)

I was really surprised when we were told not to use moses baskets, it's apparantly due to them not allowing air to circulate. It's all very confusing. Being told not to swaddle makes no sense to me, as someone else pointed out, it makes babies feel safe by reminding them of the womb and people have done it for centuries...

Ive not heard this Sarah, ive gone and bought one of those little velcro cotton swaddling wraps too. im totally unsure the risks of it, it isnt tight (well unless baby will be a 16lber!!) its thin, so wont over heat, it wont go any where near face/mouth......im confused....its like food isnt it?? One minite something is good for us, next it give you heart disease/cancer etc.
Im goining to go with gut feeling, after all, we are all intelligent ladies.
What do they reccomend rather than moses baskets now a days then??

Ok Crikey....another change......so Cot bumpers are a big no no then too ???

In that case you are quite right Lou, why an earth are places like Mothercare and Toys R us selling them then ? Does not make sense.

I presume its to let the air circulate and they cant get tangled and get smothered. Havnt got them for Aidan I admit, but had them all the rest of the children. Something else I wont be buying then.

Thanks Lou xx
Ragna xxx

Yeah they say cot bumpers are dangerous cos they can get tangled up in them, and later use them to try and climb out.

Although I didn't get a cot-bumper I do think all this should be taken in context. We don't want anyone freaking out because their baby sleeps in a moses basket or anything.
There are lots of things "they" say are a danger, I think as long as you are sensible you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back