Did your health visitor support decision on BLW?

Robyner

Reaction score
My Hv visited to chat about weaning. I mentioned BLW and said I would like to try it. She didn't say a lot about it at all and kept referring to pureeing and mashing food. I kind of got a feel of how it was going, but mentioned about giving her a piece of carrot or broccoli and she again said, to mash it and purée it, so I left it.

I read up on BLW and felt happy but I'm feeling a bit less confident about it now. I'm sure people who do it, get this kind of thing from people a lot.

I'd like some positive stories I guess and to hear from people that were fully supported in the decision to do BLW.

I like my Hv and she is such an amazing support generally so I'm not criticising her and I know it's my decision, I just would have felt better if we had discussed BLW at more length.

Last edited:
I've never even spoken to a HV about weaning??

We go for weigh-ins and you can see the HV if you want to (I have on occasion when James had terrible cradle cap and again when he wasn't sitting at 8m) but as long as his weight was OK I didn't have to see HV?

So I wouldn't worry, I did it all without any outside help or opinions as I know my baby best.

(I did read the book and I posted on here and an actual BLW forum as well but I never needed any "expert" advice)

xxxxxx

Thank you for replying carnat. We have a visit at 4 months specifically to discuss weaning in our area.I have read one book on it and it made so much sense, though I don't know anyone personally who is doing it or done it.
What did you first try if you don't mind me asking?
I've got a while yet but I did buy a shower curtain for the mess :)

Every health professional I have spoken to has been really pro blw and I even met a girl today who's health visitor told her to move away from puréed foods and try blw as it helps with speech.

That's brilliant, I'm starting to feel better already about it.

Thank you for replying carnat. We have a visit at 4 months specifically to discuss weaning in our area.I have read one book on it and it made so much sense, though I don't know anyone personally who is doing it or done it.
What did you first try if you don't mind me asking?
I've got a while yet but I did buy a shower curtain for the mess :)

I tried baby porridge @ 5 months and it was too early.

5.5m we did tendersteam broccoli and he loved it (he had the whole stalk to hold onto), baby sweetcorns were another fave as they are easy to hold.

Before we started with dairy and meat @ 6 months we tried most veggies (cauliflower, butternut squash, avocado, courgette, carrots, parsnips, sugar snap peas, runner beans, green beans) I would cut things into fingers so he could hold them.

Also red peppers were good, same with cucumber.

xxxx

Hi - my HV is brill, she is an ex phsycatric (really can't spell) nurse that specializes in eating disorders and reccommends it.

My HV and baby's consultant peadiatrician were totally supportive of BLW. I was dead set against it though until I read the book and tried her on things, now I love it! I'd definitely recommend it!
Xxx

Thanks. I spoke to my mum and sister and they are all for it and both know people that do it. It kind of makes it easier x

I did BLW with my 2 year old, was a brilliant experience and Id tell anyone to try it. My hv didn't even know what it was I had to explain and she was interested and going to look into it further! Not sure if she ever did as I've rarely seen her.

Thanks Sarah. I'm really looking forward to trying it. Got another month to go but have downloaded a BLW recipe book. Means we will all eat well! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back