Did you/will you tell your family you're in labour?

Yeah its pretty rude eh Nicki - literally people come out the woodwork, and then disappear again when a baby appears it is soooo weird! I had a lot of my friends do that but I was 19 the first time round so they probably were all just too young and wanting to go out clubbing lol whilst I stayed in with my baby xx

Tbf I don't visit them as often but mainly because we have no time I work full time and try to spend as much time each day with Jackson, cleaning the house looking after cats and OH works shifts. Like I don't expect friends with kids but more relatives. My in laws are good at swooping in like every now and then with a new outfit or whatever but hasn't had him overnight in a year or visits him and she only had him whilst we were flitting and even then that ended in him bursting his lip so I prob wouldn't trust her anyway..

But for that reason none of that side will just be popping by it's on my terms and I told OH that because I'll have Jackson too and no one even phones us!! My mum and dad has Jackson every Saturday and helps some days with after nursery.

Mil is a 5 min drive isn't working and has free diesel and never comes.. so lazy! And what's more annoying is when there's a family party theyr all over him as if showing how wonderful they are. Jackson's like emm who are you again? Lol!!

Last edited:
We've told both sides of our family both times. We needed either my parents or hubbies parents to look after my son this time and last time we told them because everyone was keen to know and we are a close family.

My mum actually came with us both times as she worries about me and my hubby was fine with it and I didn't mind either.

My first birth ended in an emergency section so it was me and hubby in the theatre and then my mum met us in recovery and even though it was late they allowed my dad and hubbies parents to come for a very quick visit (was near 11pm when they arrived at hospital) it was both our parents first grandchild so a very special moment.

This time we obviously needed help with childcare, my mum was in the room for the birth and I got an early discharge so when we got home my parents briefly saw her as they were baby sitting while my son slept. Because it was late my inlaws came the following morning to see her before going away to a wedding.

It was very nice to see everyone. Our only mistake really was with the birth of our son, I had to stay in hospital for a few days and when I was discharged i stupidly agreed to my inlaws and sil and husband to come round. It was too much for me and I ended up asking them to leave almost straight away as I needed peace and quiet

I think after you've had baby a lot of people don't really listen if you ask them to wait a bit before visitin. They flipping turn up anyway, my mother in law came to my home the day I arrived home with my son and made a comment about how messy the house was, I just said to her I've been in hospital for three days and given birth speak to your son he's been the only one here and walked out hadn't the patience for her that day, why do people say stupid things

When we were expecting we told our families when I was going in, did give them the odd update purely cos nothing was happening, long story. But OH called them once she was born. I said I didn't want visitors at hospital and for us to let them all know when they could visit as it turned out I definitely needed a bit of stay in hospital then OH got bonding time at home. Fought bloody hard with breastfeeding, got more sleep at home than in hospital. I got home on a Monday, sil visited Tuesday as she was bringing food essentials as my lg was early we weren't prepared. Half of my family on Wednesday and oh family and my dad Thursday, we didn't do any other visitors till towards the end of his paternity leave. It's an important time, just tell them u understand they are excited but wait until u let them know when to visit. Also don't b afraid to tell them to go and make them get their own drinks and bring food. My nct teacher said to put a sign on the door saying unless your expected please don't disturb us.

I think this 100% has to do with how your families are, and what your personality is like. I am an extrovert through and through and I thrive on the energy of other people. My family and my husband's family are both also incredibly respectful and helpful so I know they will be a completely positive presence when baby is tiny. They also live in another state so have to plan visits around when baby comes. Both times I told them when I was in labor and they drove up to meet both babies shortly after birth and having them all around was incredible, everyone waited on me hand and foot, cooked cleaned helped with my older daughter (the second time around) etc. We are very very close with our families and having them here after baby arrives is essential to me. In that same spirit, I like keeping them posted when I'm in labor, too.

Im dreading family when it comes to visiting isnt that awful! I get so anxious thinking about it. Ive zero problem with my mum, dad and little sisters or my mil and her partner. My problem is my aunts their kids and my grandmother! I had an operation when i was 11 only in one night and they all visited! They were so rowdy and the ward sister was mean to me after, always stuck with me! I dont much mind them calling when ill be in house breastfeeding or whatever its just the hospital. Ill make sure the hpuae is spotless closer to labour time haha! I might not tell anyone cept my mum (depending on her for lifts) until we're in house! We'll just see what happens.

I will most likely be induced early due to my condition so people will know when I am in hospital, however, like last time I wont tell anyone when I go into full labour, it was the last thing on my mind with all the pain etc to start texting people updates lol x

The first time, no.
The second time we have to tell someone because our 1st child will need someone to look after her.

Like the poster above me, no way i am thinking about texting people. Just get this baby out!

I think maybe a lot depends on your labour. If it progesses quickly likely you wont want to be thinking about anything else. My 1st labour was so long and drawn out that I went for a walk, watched TV, talked on the phone, sent a few texts and even took a short nap shortly before pushing. My second labour still wasnt short but once it really got going I didnt want to think about anything else.

I will let my mum know as she is birth partner number two as well as the oh. None of my family have ever just turned up on labour wards door step when anyone else has had their babies, so I think I would be OK then, it will be for if I stay in after about only having the in laws and oh's sister, and my parents visit. Everyone will be told no doubt that I have gone into labour, but will message my mum for updates. I am lucky that my family are not overly pushy about turning up at the hospital. I am sure they will all get the picture of visiting once we have settled back home. I am very much on countdown until the day comes now! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back