Did anyone FF from day 1?

katyloumc

Reaction score
I went to an antenatal class yesterday which turned out to be a 2 hour breast feeding lecture. I'm all for giving your baby the best but I really don't think it's going to work for me.

I've already bought formula, the steriliser etc because I intended to move on to formula if bf didn't work out.

But it sounds like they are going to be really pressurising and quite frankly horrible if I don't do it in the hospital. Which I'm worried about.

How did you get around this? :(

Yes I did. FF from the first feed and no one was horrible to me they just asked me which milk I wanted xx

Kaiden Stanley 27/09/12- the missing piece of mine & daddy's jigsaw is now complete. You are my life xXx

Yep I also ff from day one. Bf just wasn't something that I wanted to do. I felt very pressurised into bf as my LO ended up in Scbu. I also ended up staying in hospital for nearly 2 weeks. The nurses were relentless in their quest to get me to express some off as my boobs were killing me. But I just was adamant that I didn't want to bf. I just told nurse after nurse NO!! I think they finally got the message and just stopped asking me. Even went I went down to visit jack in Scbu , out of 12 babies on the unit there was only me and one other mum ff. but if its what u want to do Hun u need to stick to ur guns. Big hugs Hun and gd. Xx

I ff from the first feed n never got questioned or pushed into bf. Just asked me what milk I wanted to use :) x

Last edited:
I FF from day 1. In hospital I was asked how I wanted to feed and what milk I wanted. No pressure at all x

- now Free

They know you would already have decided what you want to do so theres no point in pressuring you at that point.

Tapatalking! Can't see tickers!

The breast feeding support nurse said that they will try to get the baby to bf for the 1st 2 hours. I dont want that kind pressure when I've just had my baby.

She said it is a very pre-bf hospital and they really promote it. So I'm really worried about how bad they are going to be once i'm in there.

I'm not saying I wont try but I'm not 100% certain I feel comfortable with the thought of BF and I honestly dont think it is something I want to do in the long run.

I'm taking premade bottles to the hospital and I when I told them that yesterday she told me to take them back to asda!!!!!!

I can see my husband loosing his temper if they are pushy!!!!

i FF from day 1 with both mine owen is nearly 9 and they were really pushy to Bf with him i refused just wasnt for me,
ben how ever i had my little starter packs of milk no pressure what so ever to BF at all :) dont worry ur self

im all for people who BF and can manage it but im just not its not me,
plus i was told ff babys gain weight more and its better to know what they are takeing feed wise

fantastic if u can get away with Bf i did try it with ben whe i got home he took to it but i didnt like it so just continued with ff :) x

The breast feeding support nurse said that they will try to get the baby to bf for the 1st 2 hours. I dont want that kind pressure when I've just had my baby.

She said it is a very pre-bf hospital and they really promote it. So I'm really worried about how bad they are going to be once i'm in there.

I'm not saying I wont try but I'm not 100% certain I feel comfortable with the thought of BF and I honestly dont think it is something I want to do in the long run.

I'm taking premade bottles to the hospital and I when I told them that yesterday she told me to take them back to asda!!!!!!

I can see my husband loosing his temper if they are pushy!!!!

I will be FF from day one, my obstetrician said the baby will just wriggle towards the breast naturally but then I can put a bottle in his mouth. If anyone even tries to persuade me I will kick off. I have made my mind up & it's not for me. If I'm honest the thought of it creeps me out & that's that. I deliberately avoided the feeding part of my NCT class as I knew it would just be a 'breast is best' session & for me it would be the worst possible nightmare.....& after all, happy mums make happy babies! Don't let them pressurise you, it's your body not theirs x

6 years ago when I had my eldest I BF exclusively for the first few weeks - I noticed in hospital that there was some pressure on the mums that chose the FF and some negativity. They always gave me lots of support but I felt some of the other women who whose FF didn't get that. Since having my last baby 22 months ago I found it was completely different. I was BF here but decided to top up with Formula as she was a big hungry girl as my first had been and she had lost lots of weight and i didn't want to go down that route again. They were brilliant about it and actually were so very supportive. I brought in some pre made glass bottles with teats just in case and a MW commented how fab they were. I brought my own even though they provided as I didn't want to ask just in case they made me feel bad! They didn't at all and was pleasantly surprised. She praised me for being so organised with the feeding and knowing what we wanted. As it happened I had to stop BF here after a week as she caught a bug and ended up being admitted to hospital on oxygen and being tube fed. She just wouldn't take the boob after that :/

I just wish they would let you do what makes you comfortable and once you've made your decision, they support you. I know this wont happen from the way she was talking :(

And I'm so soft, I know they'll push me into something I dont want to do!!! I'm just going to have to get my husband to do the talking if I decide not to do it!

They actually asked my husband rather than me what we were doing. He told them we had bought milk and the midwife told us to put it away and tak it home and to use the hospitals :) xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I ff from day one.
Noone pressured me at all but i was adamant in what i was doing.
Got given the first feed and that was it. Left to my own devicesx

Dont be scared over breast feeding hun its not that bad :) us health care professions have a job to promote what is best, such as fags cause cancer, alcohol cause liver damage, and breast is best for baby.
The reason breast is promoted by health professionals is id say firstly because its free :) youll save a fortune lol!
Also it stops allergens and gives baby immunities, such as myself i currently have the sickness and runs bug, but because im still bf he hasnt got it because ive gave him the antibodies to build his immunity up and thats something formula doesnt do :( as i was once told cows milk is for calfs and human millk is designed for ickle babies.
I hope you can see they are only doing a job :)

Ill tell you a little story now, last week i was looking after 2 young girls 18-19 one had a baby boy and one a girl, both bottle fed, but both babies just cried, all they wanted to do was route mums chest for her nipple, they just wanted comfort on boobie as its the most natural thing for a baby. Both these 2 babies wouldnt have formula when born.

How old are you? Would you feel embarresed with breast feeding is that's why you are not wanting to do it?
Like yourself i bought a steraliser and bottles, but ive got rid as im happily still bf at 9 months old, andtheres no faffing with bottles, kettles, cooling/heating milk, all you do is pull baby into bed, feed laid down on your side and sleep while doing it :))

If your adament about ff then the hospitals are fine with it.

Always here for a chat if u need support xx

I'm 29, I understand all the pro's to breast feeding and I'm all for giving your baby the best start. But I dont feel 100% comfortable with the idea and (this may sound odd!) it doesnt seem natural to me (even though I'm well aware it is the most natural thing in the world).

I'm not saying i'm not going to breast feed and I will be giving it a go, if I completely change my mind and it works out then thats great but If i'm honest I just dont feel like it will be something I choose to do in the long run.

I understand health workers are just doing their job but sometimes it is extremely pressurising and it's causing me a lot of worry, thinking of how i'm looked upon if I choose not to breastfeed. The class I had was purely 2 hours of you will do this, you should do this, this is what will happen if you dont etc. It seemed like a scare tactic and I think she could have been more considerate and respectful of peoples choices.

I'll see how it goes, maybe i'm setting myself up for a fall by taking in premade forumla and having the steriliser etc but having them makes me worry less if I cant bf. And If I choose not to BF i'll make sure my husband is there to back me up because i'm pretty soft !

Youll be fine what ever you decide, what sbout expressing?? Did you ever think about that?? Xx

I hate this idea of the nurses pressurising you. My friend was pressurised and it was for medical reasons she'd chosen not to and was still pressurised by the health visitor when she got home.

Say these words and they'll probably leave you alone quicker "I'm a capacitated adult and capable of making an informed decision for me and my baby"

Using Tapatalk so can't see siggies!

My LO has been FF since birth due to problems with my milk supply (was ill with pre-eclampsia, milk never seemed to come in). I did try to breastfeed but she got hardly anything. It was impossible to continue as she was so tiny at birth she needed to have proper feeds.

If immunity comes from breastmilk I have absolutely no idea where my LO has got such a great immune system from. She's had two colds and no other illnesses since birth (she's now 18 months). A child I know who's always been breastfed has had countless bugs and colds. I also have an aunty who FF her first two, who are fine, and BF her youngest, who has chronic asthma...

Anyhow, it really bothers me that there is all this pressure to BF and actually from my experience no proper help if you really can't BF (I had a "breast buddy" in hospital who told me to keep trying to express and didn't seem to understand the concept of no milk actually coming out!). No one should be bombarded with this kind of stuff and made to feel bad if they choose to FF. I got really sick of telling the nurse every time I took my LO for injections that, no, I wasn't breastfeeding. I'm also getting a bit tired of talking to my midwife about it - she seems to want to ask me if I'm going to breastfeed every single time I see her! Argh! I'll definitely be giving it another go, but I certainly won't be doing what I did last time - trying to express several times a day for 5 weeks and getting <2ml every time I tried and beating myself up for not being able to feed my baby. Once I put the expressing stuff away and decided just to FF I felt a massive weight off my shoulders.

Stick to your choice, whatever you decide. Don't feel you have to justify your decision to anyone. Your baby will be fine whether you choose to BF or FF.

I know exactly where you are coming from with this I too attended a 2 hour class on " feeding" and breastcfeeding was the only thing that was talked about. I breastfed for the first five days after having my son as I wanted to give it a go ........ Did it work for me ...... no it didn't as he ended up back in hospital after losing too much weight. I found there is a a lot of pressure in the materniy ward but if your strong and keep to your guns then you will be fine. Don't get me wrong I understand that breastfeeding does have its advantages but as one of the nurses on the children's ward said to me - " you have to do what's best for you and your baby" and if that's ff then so be it. For me bf also had disadvantages because it didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back