development check for possible "gifted" LO???

rhian85

Reaction score
we havent had our new HV here for a long time as we only moved house in sept.. but during our first meet up with the HV christopher was around 9/10mths i could see her watching everything he did and she asked me if i feel that he is "advanced" - she knows i have studied childcare/early years.
i told her i had not really given it any 4t and why she was asking me. she told me that in 15 mins of watching him play she wtnessed several things in terms of interlect/hand-eye and malipulation/fine and gross motor skills that he shoul be doing around 18mths :shock: :shock:

he was only 10mths at the time but could:

walk/almost run, identify major shapes and sort them in his hape sorter/ identify and sort bricks in2 piles of colours/ scribble and draw circles :shock: build a tower of 6 bricks.name and point to the colours red/blue/"lellow" she noted it all and took it away

anyway we have had a development check last week and his is very advanced this month he has learnt to throw and kick his ball :shock: draw perfect circles when asked to "draw mummy a circle" point to cats/dogs/birds in the street and books..poor HV was gobsmacked i get told in a month or so when she has consulted with other HV's cuzz he may need extra/harder work in pre/school so he doesnt become disruptive :shock:

anyone else had a bright LO would love to hear ur experiences

No sorry can't help. I have plenty experience of my son head butting things at that age but nothing else. He does sound really advanced though, Aimee's 2 and she can't do half of that stuff. You must be so proud

ohh yeah im proud of him but considering ive studies the develpoment of children from birth tro 10 and i didnt even notice :oops: im a bad mummy :rotfl:

wow thats great news! I have no advice though and hope he continues to get better and better!

Dior is 3 and cannot do some of them things :shock:
Harley is 21 months old and dont even say mama or dada
:lol:

you must be proud xx

speech wise Lydia is pretty advanced. So much so that people comment on it a lot. She'll say things like "Oh my goodness me, Lydia has spilt all the water. I'm a bit sorry about that mama". She can count to 20 and knows all her alphabet. She has a very large vocabulary really.

But physically she's a clutz - bumps into everything and is always tripping up, and can definitely not draw perfect circles - far from it lol

Millie is the same, she was smiling at 3 weeks, walking at 11 months, saying odd words at 9 months, saying sentances at 18months. Now she never shuts up

wow that is something, of 7 years working with children I have never seen anything like that...awesome :D

well done!!!
Josh was the same as this & at playschool aged 3, he was doing work sent down from Reception, maths & numbers & letters.
then in his 2nd year at playschool ( 4 yrs) he was having work sent down from year 1.
he taught himself to read at the gae of 4 years & is as bright as a button.
can read ANY thing we give him, books/newspaper, roadsigns.
since the age of 4, hes been able to recognise numbers as big as 100,000 & 1 million, even if they are hard like 101,569, he will get it exactly!

its fab, a few of the children in Joshs calss call him a 'genuis' which is sewwt, although you do get jaelousy from some parents :roll:

good luck & keep it up, you've got a genuis in the making :hug:

Wow, I work as a Primary Teacher too and that sounds very advanced! I agree gifted children can really miss out at school if not recognised :?

mermaid said:
Wow, I work as a Primary Teacher too and that sounds very advanced! I agree gifted children can really miss out at school if not recognised :?

hi mermaid.. "if"the HV decides that he should be labeld as "gifted" then how do i make sure that he gets extra help..well stimulation when he attends pre-school/ school ? or will i get told all this ? :hug:

rhian85 said:
mermaid said:

hi mermaid.. "if"the HV decides that he should be labeld as "gifted" then how do i make sure that he gets extra help..well stimulation when he attends pre-school/ school ? or will i get told all this ? :hug:

Dunno... but at 18 months, I was given IQ tests... My mum was given advice on advanced schooling at the time as I was 3 years ahead of my age group... But my mum wanted me to have a "normal" life and sent me to the local primary. I wish she'd sent me to the advanced school tbh. I was always singled out and picked on for being a know it all by teachers and kids alike... and I would often not bother working so that I would fall behind. Normal schools cater for the average child, never the worst or best, and in doing so, it always means that kids (good and bad) are lost to the system.

When I got older, I managed to get scholarships to private schools and my mum hired private tutors. Its then that I really started to excel. If you can afford private schooling/tuition... then start him off there....as he gets older, he can take the scholarships exams to obtain bursaries from the school to pay for fees if he is advanced enough.. :)

You must be really proud... :) Just remember not to push too much, and to stand by him... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back