Depression & anxiety while ttc ?

lillith112

Reaction score
Ok so I've suffered for years, I also have M.E so just about every antidepressant I've tried gives me terrible side effects. I've tried cbt, it was useless. My anxiety has got really bad lately, I was on propanolol which worked like a dream, I was calm, relaxed and was getting 6 hour sleep on a night, now I'm lucky to get 1-4 hours. I had to stop the propanolol due to really bad hair loss. I just wondered if there was anything safe to take when you're ttc ?. My doctor said about trying propanolol again but then she looked it up and said it wasn't safe in pregnancy so its not worth the risk. x

Last edited:
I'm glad you've started this thread hun,
I also suffer from deppression and anxiety especially health and social anxiety
I don't take any medication at the moment but I am considering going back to my GP as my symptoms are increasing again (I had felt a lot better)
He had advised if I'm TTC that I can't take antidepressants
But I have heard that some people do take them safely

Xxxxxxx

I'm glad you've started this thread hun,
I also suffer from deppression and anxiety especially health and social anxiety
I don't take any medication at the moment but I am considering going back to my GP as my symptoms are increasing again (I had felt a lot better)
He had advised if I'm TTC that I can't take antidepressants
But I have heard that some people do take them safely

Xxxxxxx

I'm so sorry you suffer with this as well Clover, mine seems to go in cycles, feel great for a couple of months then on a downward spiral. My gp referred me to see a mental health nurse back a year ago as she said I might do better trying mood enhancers, would you believe I am still waiting for the appointment. I've chased it up maybe 4 times, one gp made me the wrong appointment with the practice nurse who was disgusted and has put a complaint in. I've not actually been officially diagnosed yet.
I have heard you can take Prozac while pregnant, I tried that 13 years ago for 2 weeks but it had such a stimulating effect I had to stop it. x

Oh that's rediculous that you haven't had your appointment yet!! A year is too long to wait,
Edit.
Oops I wasn't meant to press post then

Anyway I'm going to make an appointment to see my GP next week and see what he suggests

My anxiety and deppression has been under control for around 6 months I've felt ok but this past few weeks it's got a lot worse again

I'm here to talk to if you need me hun :)

Xxxx

Just wanted to say that I hope you are ok and sorry to hear you're going through this ladies. I know how much of a struggle this must be. I suffer with lows and that's hard enough. Hope you find something that works x

Clover thankyou hun, please let me know how you get on with your gp, I'm really interested to hear what they say.
Prettypea, thankyou hun, that means a lot x

Hi, sorry to hear you're going through this at mo *hugs*. I came off Citalopram (over a 12 week period) as advised by GP to TTC but it resulted in me having a bit of a breakdown and lost my job (it was pretty bad time). Anyway, I was put on Sertraline which is considered 'safe' and I'm still taking it now. Good luck x

My consultant cardiologist says any beta blockers are fine whilst trying to conceive and during pregnancy too. I hope that helps. Like others have said some SSRI antidepressants are ok during pregnancy too. Consider that some women with bipolar are taking much stronger medications such as lithium. If you need it, you need it x

Hiya, sorry to hear you are feeling down. My oh is on citalopram, our gp said it was safe to ttc on and it was also safe to take during pregnancy (obviously that won't be a problem for him haha, but she told us that to illustrate that it shouldn't be any issues with him taking it while we are ttc). There are loads of options out there so don't suffer in silence.

I have tried citalopram, unfortunately it made my face flush bright red and burning for 2 weeks, I also tried sertraline and that made my insomnia much worse. Missjuliet my gp looked up propanolol beta blocker and told me it was not safe while ttc or pregnancy? She read it out and it causes lots of defects and other issues. I was on it 6 months ago and it worked brilliant for my anxiety x

There are lots of other beta blockers to try, labetalol is one that's often used in pregnancy. If my heart starts playing up I will take bisoprolol. I think propanolol isn't as cardioselective as others. Lots of people I know have taken beta blockers during pregnancy. Can you asked to be refered to perinatal psychiatry aa they'd be in the best position to advise? X

Citalopram is fine for ttc and pregnancy. The only issue is a 72 hour stay after delivery just in case of any withdrawals. I took it for years and only came off for my pregnancy with my son as it had bad effects with another drug I needed.
It's seeing a thread like this that makes you realise your not alone in the way you feel and your struggles that there is actually a lot of other ladies who feel just like you do.
Ttc sucks at the best of times let alone when you feel like your whole life if over because you got a bfn. Xxx

I've come off my mess in order to TTC. I have heard horror stories about people on them while pregnant. My OH is a bit nervous as he's never known me not on them but so far so good. I have an amazing counsellor who does cbt with me and helps me with triggers. Sending love to everyone who deals with this daily struggle! Xxxx

Oh that's rediculous that you haven't had your appointment yet!! A year is too long to wait,
Edit.
Oops I wasn't meant to press post then

Anyway I'm going to make an appointment to see my GP next week and see what he suggests

My anxiety and deppression has been under control for around 6 months I've felt ok but this past few weeks it's got a lot worse again

I'm here to talk to if you need me hun :)

Xxxx

Clover did you get to see your GP this week ? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back