Depo Dilemmas and frustrations!

xcariadx

Reaction score
Hi all

So glad to finally find somewhere I can talk to people going through a similar situation to me!
Here’s my story..
I’m 23 and before the past year, baby’s never ever crossed my mind! I was the girl in the family who concentrated on her career and spend her wages on shoes and holidays. and then that all changed when i met my amazing partner
Prior to meeting him, I suffered from heavy AFs each month, having bad cramps and horrible mood swings. So last year my friend suggested i consider going on the depo provera shot as she suffered something similar.
I have to admit, I DIDNT research it! Boy I wish i had!!
I had my first shot last September, then again in the January and my last one in April. I was concerned as my AF had stopped all together (did experience some spotting during the 7 months).
So made the decision to stop and never went back for my June shot.
Now me and my other half have decided to add an little one to the family and as you do, i googled for some info on what to expect after coming off the depo shot. and i was horrified!!!
pages and pages of stories like "it made me infertile", "my AF still hasn’t come back and I had my last shot 6 years ago!" and "5years and were still trying and I only got 1 shot!"
its scared the living daylights out of me. Before my shot was due, I did have some spotting and I’ve had that on and off since I stopped (although the spotting is dark in colour like my body’s trying to have a clean out), spotting for about 10-15 days then a 2 week break, but Saturday and yesterday I had the first signs of fresh AF!! I was delighted! and then today.....nothing again!
I’m just so frustrated!! I’m not naive enough to believe we're going to fall pregnant straight away (although that would be amazing!)
I try to talk to my partner about it, but bless him, he hasn’t a clue what to say!

Anyway, that’s where I am

Kim

Hi Kim!
I was on depo for between 1 and 2 years. I had my last jab at the start of march last year, then had a period at the start of august. Then didn't have anything til October when i started taking agnus castus (really recommend this to get your cycles regular again)! After taking ac my cycles became regular straight away- between 28-30 days although it still took me a while to catch. I got a bfp in may this year from a cycle that started in April but unfortunately lost the baby at 8+6weeks.
I am hoping to catch again quickly!
Try not to stress about depo- i was so angry when i first started reading up on it, and stressed myself out that it wasn't going to happen for us. It took us longer than i thought, but we did get our bfp and i know we will get another which will hopefully be sticky.
Hope you're not waiting too long for yours xxx

Ps welcome to the forum- i have found this site a massive support since ttc xx

Hi Naomi :)

So sorry to hear about your MC :-(
Thank you sharing you expeience with me. Its given me some much needed hope! My partner keeps telling me not to stress or worry about it and that it'll happen when its meant to but i guess Im just a little impatient :clock:
I did read about agnus castus and actually bought some ready, but then read that if your irregular and unsure when your AF is, you should avoid it as it might lead to MC :oooo:
theres so many horror stories out there, its so disheartening.
xxx

Yep i would wait to start ac until cd1 of your next cycle. I then took it from cd1 til about cd12 twice daily. I took it for three cycles to make sure i was regular.
There are so many horror stories out there, but i think that is mainly because those are the ones that tend to post things... if things go swimmingly for you you're less likely to post things on the net but if you have a truly horrible time of it you tend to post out of frustration etc. That's the way i try to think anyway. I think for a large number of women by a year after depo they are having regular cycles and potentially pregnant. So there is definitely hope.
Plan a few nice things now for the next few weeks to distract you while you wait for af to arrive.
Once you have had a period, perhaps buy some cheap opks so you know whether you are ovulating - some people have a few cycles without ovulating after being on contraception.
The cycle i got my bfp before i ditched the opks as i knew by then roughly when i ovulated and we went on holiday- i think relaxing more about it all helped.
Xxx

I was on the depo for 5 years, last one was November 2011 and was pregnant by January 2012. I didn't have a single period!
It can happen :) don't believe the scare stories xxx

It can happen!!
Mine did take time, it took 16 months for my periods to return and I was pregnant (very much a surprise) 4 months later!
I was exactly the same as you, I read all the scare stories and decided not to continue with the injection.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using tapatalk

Mum to Harry James 4/12/12

I was on depo for 7 years, then had the implant for 3 years then the pill for a few months. It took me 8 months to get pregnant. Don't believe the horror stories, they wouldn't prescribe it if it made women infertile! These drugs go through vigorous testing before they are allowed to use them in western society!x

I was on the depo for 4 years, and it took a few cycles (maybe 2) for my body to sort itself out. Just remember everyone is different. But it'll work out! X

Positive from me too I was on depo for around 6 years my period returned within a couple of months and I got pregnant within a couple of months from us starting to try x

Thanks all for your positive messages :)
It's lovely to hear that no matter how frustrating it is, it's only temporary! I can't wait for us to officially start trying. I ordered some OPKs which arrived this morning for when AF does make a proper appearance :)
Fingers crossed its not long :) xxx

Just got a bfp this morning- hopefully its a sticky one this time!!
So there is definitely hope for you hun! Xxx

Aww!!! Congratulations Naomi!! That's fantastic news! Hopefully I won't be long so we can be baby buddies :D xxx

Aww!!! Congratulations Naomi!! That's fantastic news! Hopefully I won't be long so we can be baby buddies :D xxx

Thank you!! :) yep hope you get your bfp soon- i found conceive plus and soft cups helped us- both times we've got a bfp we've been using them. Xxx

I was on depo five years. My af returned 5 months properly after. My cycles where all over the place. From may they went to every month around the right time. I had my first proper positive opk last month. No such joy yet this month. Its been 11 months since my last shot xx

Please don't take this as a rub it in your face comment, I really mean it to give you hope but I fell pregnant whilst still ON the injection! Wasn't late or early for it, didn't miss one either.

There's always hope love!

My lovely little man Spencer 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

Thanks for your experience Misssparkle.
A Q for you all, after your AF returned, was it normal?
It sounds like a stupid Q but im getting it constantly but im not sure if just spotting or not. xxx

Wow msclairepants! ive read a few stories about people falling while still on it!
Seems like you were lucky there :)
Fingers crossed im not one of those horror stories! xxx

It sounds like a stupid Q but im getting it constantly but im not sure if just spotting or not. xxx

I I started out spotting and losing stuff all the time ftom brown and then it went to red. I was pretty miserable for ages asni never thought it would stop. Before depo I was regular as clockwork really.
Now my cycles are still unpredictable but getting back into a routine. However pin pointing ov even with opks is proving difficult. For example my first proper opk was last month test line way darkee than the control but this month I was due yo ovulate today and nothing . Hope that makes sense xx

Once I had a bleed (which took a while) my period was pretty normal- 3-5 days and heavier for the first couple. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back