Dentist question

mrs_metal

Reaction score
Hi

I split a tooth today and will hopefully get an emergency appointment tomorrow but I just wanted to know if there's any treatments I have to avoid?

I know I have to avoid being x-ray'd but I vauguely remember hearing years ago that you shouldn't have fillings while pregnant, is that true?

It used to be like that years ago when all fillings were made of mercury, but I think it's slightly different now as there are several different types of filling they use. The only real concerns are the anaesthetic and x-rays I think, but as long as you tell your dentist you are pregnant, they won't do any treatment that isn't safe anyway.

thank you, I'll tell the dentist as soon as I get there, not looking forward to the visit though :lol:

I'd tell your dentist your pregnant so that he knows what not to do and also to make him aware that your dental treatment is free when your pregnant up until the baby is 1 year old.

xx

You get free dental and my dentist seemed to know loads about medically exempt cases, i seriously doubt they would do anything if they wernt 100% sure it was safe for you both.
Having said that i'd make sure they seem sure if theres any doubt there i'd do your own research, dentists should be well informed, but i had a bad experience in the gym with the personal trainer knowing i was pregnant but not having a clue how to tailor the workout and still trying to make me do stomach crunches etc!
Clare x

Yes you are entitled to free dental care whilst pregnant, so ask your MW about it or your dentist,they should have the relevant forms for you :hug:
X-rays are perfectly safe whilst pregnant too, as are fillings, its more the quantity of radiation thats an issue whilst pregnant and you'd need A LOT of X-rays to have it even slightly effect your LO.
We are subject to radiation from lots of things daily, its just not enough to hurt our LO's so please don't worry, and if you are, just speak to your MW or dentist.
I had 2 fillings whilst pregnant with Isaac, an infection in my gum, and also X-rays, and Isaac's fine :D Just reminds us to take better care of our teeth and gums whilst pregnant as with LO taking all our good stuff, we can be prone to tooth decay and gum disease unfortunately.
Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

This link may help;
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/i ... regexpert/

You're fine to have fillings while your pregnant as my dentist has just done me. I've recently had 3 fillings while being pregnant and the best bit is it's free. As for x-rays, I read in one of my pregnancy books that there is no evidence that dental x-rays do any hard however my dentist refused to x-ray me.

april

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

I told him straight off I was pregnant and he didn't want to x-ray me so did a temporary fix that will last until after baby is born :D

Not looking forward to having the work done but at least I can avoid it for a few months :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back